DIY Treatment Success

(6 posts)
  1. dontwant2bhere

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sat Sep 30 2017 22:57:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Our saga began in October, 2016 with "mosquito bites" on a couple of the kids. They said it was from playing outside in the evening, but something didn't seem right to me. That evening, I went to our mattress, pulled back the sheets and started searching when I looked down to see an adult bed bug crawling up my arm. I screamed for my husband, put it in a jar, and googled bed bug info (with images that confirmed it was a bed bug). My husband went back to preparing for a class he was teaching as I said through tears, "Don't you understand how serious this is? We have bed bugs!"

I spent my sleeping hours creeping around in our three bedrooms while my husband and five children slept, with flashlight in hand, searching for bugs. For the first couple nights, I killed about four or five a night. The low point was seeing one crawling on my son's back while he slept. Ugh... I spent every waking minute researching bed bug treatment. I quickly realized that this forum had the most valuable information I could find. I also called in a local PCO who id'd the captured bug as a bed bug and looked for evidence of more. He didn't find much and said we had a light infestation. He was confident that one treatment would solve our problem and said they would use three different chemicals throughout the entire house, including the basement. He also told me that our city has a huge problem with bed bugs and many areas have infestations that are chronic.

I very much wanted to avoid the use of chemicals, especially in areas of the house where we had no evidence of infestation. It appeared the bed bugs were in two of the three bedrooms and nowhere else in the house. The following is how I chose to tackle the problem: washed and dried on high ALL of our clothing and bagged in sealed bags (ohmygosh, the amount of time that took for seven people!), cleaned everything in each room with alcohol and took it to the basement, bagged everything else that remained, used a steam cleaner on the every inch of the three bedrooms, encased all mattresses, sprayed Temprid SC in the bedrooms, applied Cimexa, and eventually installed passive monitors on each bed, the couch, and in the vehicles. I naively thought that might be the end of our problem, but we saw more evidence of bed bugs (maybe every four or five nights). I treated again, but still continued to see evidence and the kids still got bites, but not as often.

I made a post on here and David Cain mentioned his protocol in response. I installed passive monitors on the beds and began keeping a detailed log of any evidence of activity. I can't express how grateful I am for his help, not only with the bed bugs, but also for the link he provided to anxiety related to bed bugs. It was so helpful to step back and look at our situation without all the anxiety. Through David's information, I also realized it was likely we had a local source problem. All evidence of bed bugs finally ended when we started isolating our high school son's backpack (which he kept with him in his classes and placed on the floor near his classmates' bags).

In retrospect, ideally I would have had passive monitors in place before the infestation. Since I obviously wasn't that well-informed prior to our infestation, there are other changes I would have made. First, and most important, I would have avoided the use of the Temprid. Second, I would not have spent all that time on laundry and money on bags for every item in our bedroom. We only found evidence of bed bugs very close to our beds, not near the closets. Third, I would not have bothered with the encasements. Finally, I'm not even sure about the steam cleaning. I believe deep cleaning with the vacuum may have been just as effective. In addition, I wish I hadn't let my anxiety get the best of me and caved to the pressure I felt from family members to act quickly and, instead, would have done more research before acting. If I had taken more time to research, I don't think I would have used the residual spray in the first place.

It's been several months since we've had any evidence of bed bugs, but we will always have passive monitors in place, will keep our bedrooms clear of any clutter, and will check the monitors and deep clean every month.

There's so much I could say about the emotional aspect of this on our family. Because of the way we were treated by two of my sisters (who told us we were not allowed to come to the family Thanksgiving and Christmas), some family relationships have ended, but I'm closer to other family members. It's nice to know who you can count on in tough times. My 13-year-old son summarized it best a couple of months ago when he said, "I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for bed bugs."

2. destroyallbedbugs

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 3:55:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I love your story, thank you for sharing! I hope I see the same fate soon enough as I am dealing with a relatively new infestation.

3. bbmom

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Oct 1 2017 21:17:43
    #

Login to Send PM

dontwant2bhere - 22 hours ago  » 
    Our saga began in October, 2016 with "mosquito bites" on a couple of the kids. They said it was from playing outside in the evening, but something didn't seem right to me. That evening, I went to our mattress, pulled back the sheets and started searching when I looked down to see an adult bed bug crawling up my arm. I screamed for my husband, put it in a jar, and googled bed bug info (with images that confirmed it was a bed bug). My husband went back to preparing for a class he was teaching as I said through tears, "Don't you understand how serious this is? We have bed bugs!"
    I spent my sleeping hours creeping around in our three bedrooms while my husband and five children slept, with flashlight in hand, searching for bugs. For the first couple nights, I killed about four or five a night. The low point was seeing one crawling on my son's back while he slept. Ugh... I spent every waking minute researching bed bug treatment. I quickly realized that this forum had the most valuable information I could find. I also called in a local PCO who id'd the captured bug as a bed bug and looked for evidence of more. He didn't find much and said we had a light infestation. He was confident that one treatment would solve our problem and said they would use three different chemicals throughout the entire house, including the basement. He also told me that our city has a huge problem with bed bugs and many areas have infestations that are chronic.
    I very much wanted to avoid the use of chemicals, especially in areas of the house where we had no evidence of infestation. It appeared the bed bugs were in two of the three bedrooms and nowhere else in the house. The following is how I chose to tackle the problem: washed and dried on high ALL of our clothing and bagged in sealed bags (ohmygosh, the amount of time that took for seven people!), cleaned everything in each room with alcohol and took it to the basement, bagged everything else that remained, used a steam cleaner on the every inch of the three bedrooms, encased all mattresses, sprayed Temprid SC in the bedrooms, applied Cimexa, and eventually installed passive monitors on each bed, the couch, and in the vehicles. I naively thought that might be the end of our problem, but we saw more evidence of bed bugs (maybe every four or five nights). I treated again, but still continued to see evidence and the kids still got bites, but not as often.
    I made a post on here and David Cain mentioned his protocol in response. I installed passive monitors on the beds and began keeping a detailed log of any evidence of activity. I can't express how grateful I am for his help, not only with the bed bugs, but also for the link he provided to anxiety related to bed bugs. It was so helpful to step back and look at our situation without all the anxiety. Through David's information, I also realized it was likely we had a local source problem. All evidence of bed bugs finally ended when we started isolating our high school son's backpack (which he kept with him in his classes and placed on the floor near his classmates' bags).
    In retrospect, ideally I would have had passive monitors in place before the infestation. Since I obviously wasn't that well-informed prior to our infestation, there are other changes I would have made. First, and most important, I would have avoided the use of the Temprid. Second, I would not have spent all that time on laundry and money on bags for every item in our bedroom. We only found evidence of bed bugs very close to our beds, not near the closets. Third, I would not have bothered with the encasements. Finally, I'm not even sure about the steam cleaning. I believe deep cleaning with the vacuum may have been just as effective. In addition, I wish I hadn't let my anxiety get the best of me and caved to the pressure I felt from family members to act quickly and, instead, would have done more research before acting. If I had taken more time to research, I don't think I would have used the residual spray in the first place.
    It's been several months since we've had any evidence of bed bugs, but we will always have passive monitors in place, will keep our bedrooms clear of any clutter, and will check the monitors and deep clean every month.
    There's so much I could say about the emotional aspect of this on our family. Because of the way we were treated by two of my sisters (who told us we were not allowed to come to the family Thanksgiving and Christmas), some family relationships have ended, but I'm closer to other family members. It's nice to know who you can count on in tough times. My 13-year-old son summarized it best a couple of months ago when he said, "I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for bed bugs."

Thank you for sharing! What passive monitors did you use and did they end up working for you?

4. bugshipcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 21:28:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, can you tell me what passive monitors you used? I need them! Thanks for all of your information. I've had many treatments and still suffering. Just want to find out where they are or are coming from. Thanks so much!!

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 22:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Dontwant2bhere,

Congratulations and thanks for coming back to share your story.

bugshipcrazy - 37 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, can you tell me what passive monitors you used? I need them! Thanks for all of your information.

Bugshipcrazy,

You can read about the Packtite Passive Monitors that David Cain invented in our bed bug monitors FAQ: http://bedbugger.com/2009/04/23/bed-bug-monitors/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  6. bugshipcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 6 2017 0:08:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much, Nobugsonme

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234