DIY thermal causes house fire

(10 posts)
  1. delorac

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 20:37:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Here's someone who used a camping grill in a bedroom, trying to get the temperature hot enough to kill her bed bugs. In addition to the obvious fire hazard, using an outdoor grill inside in an enclosed space poses a real risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. So she could have died in two different ways had she been unlucky.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/103084389.html?storySection=story

She states she got the idea from bed bug advice on the internet.

This is why Nobugs and old-timers and our PCOs on this forum are so quick to point out dangers in some of the advice given by (usually but not always) newcomers. They are not jumping on or attacking anyone; they are conscientiously trying to keep someone who later reads the post from following incorrect and sometimes really dangerous advice.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 21:32:48
    #

Login to Send PM

She was lucky the FD caught it early. Now, why is it that in the case of fire, people know exactly whom to call, no prep is necessary and the authorities do what's necessary, without passing the buck. After all, like BB, fire "isn't known to transmit infectious disease".

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Sep 26 2010 22:38:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh my, what will people think of next.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 1:07:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, thanks delorac.

And you're absolutely right. People often think we're being negative here. We're not. If there were an easy, cheap way to do this, I would be shouting from the tree-tops.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. mcsmcs

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 5:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you read the article? Sounds like she tried a lot.

I am not suggesting DIY thermal in the least...but some of the comments were clearly people w/ no BB experience. The decision was poor, but it sounds like it was a result of desperation. Poor woman. And thanks to all on the board who shoot down bad plans!

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Sep 27 2010 11:56:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I did a blog post on this here, which will serve as a FAQ against DIY heat treatment. Thanks again, delorac!

7. labugman

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Oct 1 2010 22:49:39
    #

Login to Send PM

There is one company that is the leader in heating buildings for pest eradication that has burned two homes to the ground. If you guys want to get into this business you better check your insurance coverage. I know some companies that did far more damage to the property than the profit from the job.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 1:14:32
    #

Login to Send PM

labugman - 2 hours ago  » 
    There is one company that is the leader in heating buildings for pest eradication that has burned two homes to the ground. If you guys want to get into this business you better check your insurance coverage. I know some companies that did far more damage to the property than the profit from the job.

Hi labugman,

Most people on this site are here because we have or had bed bugs. I don't see anyone above mentioning plans to go into heat treatment professionally. However, you make an important point for anyone who is.

9. labugman

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Oct 2 2010 6:47:33
    #

Login to Send PM

My point is to check out the company before you buy into the hype. Heating a home to 140F which is the minimum to get core temperatures to 120F is dangerous. There are a lot of failures including burning houses to the ground.

10. biggil

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Mar 9 2011 15:32:22
    #

Login to Send PM

There are other reasons that heat treatment may not be the best answer; and, all the reasons to consider a different treatment is affected by the price. See, in an apartment environment or hotel the infestation will be spread through out the premises. Treating one unit at a premium cost is not a good return. The infestation within the surrounding units will not be affected by the heat treatment and will return to re infest the treated unit.
    There is less time involved in preparing more tradition type of treatments. You do not save time in the process of using the heat treatment; but, you do have a thorough job accomplished afterward! With the traditional treatments there are minimum of 2 visits and as much as 4 visits to remove an infestation. This treatment and re examination will be between 6 to 10 days apart. Still, the time involved in treating the domicile for the 4 visits is often times less than the amount of time used to set-up, operate and tear down the heating apparatus. It is for this reason that the cost to treat by heat is so much more.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,566 posts in 48,150 topics over 149 months by 21,216 of 21,570 members. Latest: Lh0512, patmc3853, stennisplayer07