Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

DIY Bed Bug Beacon (CO2 generator)

(3 posts)
  1. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 18:24:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The setup for the generator has the same delivery system as the beacon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the beacon IS! The DIY solution is a lot cheaper and locally available. Here is the link for the how-to:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_co2.php

The idea is, Yeast + Sugar + Water - Oxygen = CO2. It is mentioned that the more sugar you use, the longer the CO2 production lasts. 2 cups of sugar = 5 weeks of CO2!

2. djames1921

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 22:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Close.....but co2 produced in that manner is not quite right for bed bugs, our results were inconsistent at best. A couple important things make the beacon work, but I'm not tellin'.

3. janebug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 7:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just cannot help laughing when I see either a DIY beacon or the home consumer variety. It cracks me up every time I see the very thing that brought the bed bugs to our previously clean studio apartment, being promoted as a finding aid.

No question CO2 rigs will work attract bed bugs. Aquarists have been using CO2 to juice their planted aquariums for years. I can tell you all the variations on the formula including recycling the product into sourdough starter, ginger ale and a longer lasting mix than the one mentioned here.

When I published in the aquarist forums regarding our disaster; no one there batted an eyelash unlike here where the skeptics made themselves known post-haste. I have no affiliation with Jeff White but I can confirm the product he demos is valid, as are DIY rigs. Always great to start the day with a good laugh, especially on the topic of bed bugs.
    All the best,
    janebug

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,419 posts in 29,452 topics over 90 months by 12,707 of 19,972 members. Latest: allergictomyself, neatnik, waryweary