Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

DIY Bed Bug Beacon (CO2 generator)

(3 posts)
  1. zerg_infestor

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 18:24:19
    #

Login to Send PM

The setup for the generator has the same delivery system as the beacon. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is what the beacon IS! The DIY solution is a lot cheaper and locally available. Here is the link for the how-to:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_co2.php

The idea is, Yeast + Sugar + Water - Oxygen = CO2. It is mentioned that the more sugar you use, the longer the CO2 production lasts. 2 cups of sugar = 5 weeks of CO2!

2. djames1921

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 29 2010 22:18:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Close.....but co2 produced in that manner is not quite right for bed bugs, our results were inconsistent at best. A couple important things make the beacon work, but I'm not tellin'.

3. janebug

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun May 30 2010 7:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just cannot help laughing when I see either a DIY beacon or the home consumer variety. It cracks me up every time I see the very thing that brought the bed bugs to our previously clean studio apartment, being promoted as a finding aid.

No question CO2 rigs will work attract bed bugs. Aquarists have been using CO2 to juice their planted aquariums for years. I can tell you all the variations on the formula including recycling the product into sourdough starter, ginger ale and a longer lasting mix than the one mentioned here.

When I published in the aquarist forums regarding our disaster; no one there batted an eyelash unlike here where the skeptics made themselves known post-haste. I have no affiliation with Jeff White but I can confirm the product he demos is valid, as are DIY rigs. Always great to start the day with a good laugh, especially on the topic of bed bugs.
    All the best,
    janebug

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.