DIY $4 Bed Bug Contact Spray

(3 posts)
  1. ithaclies

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2013 18:34:23
    #

Login to Send PM

After dealing with the problem for months and getting insulted by our landlords (an issue I will save for another post) I've been reading websites such as this one on ways to combat these little bastards. It's been really cold here lately so after getting rid of the ones I could see on the mattresses in the house, I sat them out side on the concrete back-porch all night in the single digit weather and did some much needed spring cleaning. Killed some, not all obviously. So, after more research and speaking with Paul Stacy, an account manager with Rose Pest Solutions, I went and bought a few materials to test out a DIY spray instead of dropping $15 on Sterifab: 24oz Chemical Spray Bottle $1, 24oz bottle of liquid hand soap $1, 14oz 91% Isopropyl Alcohol $1.59. The first two were from dollar tree, and the alcohol was from Kroger. You use the entire bottle of alcohol and add around 6 oz of the liquid hand soap. The liquid hand soap is just in there to give it some body so it doesn't evaporate right away and if you mix it just right it gets a little foamy, but the sprayer has to be made for foamy spray :(. I read about this solution from a pintrest DIY hand sanitizer post, but I could tell it could be used for bed bugs too, so I bought this stuff and tried it out last night and DAMN. Not only does it work, but they come crawling out looking for refuge only to find my bemused vengeance as they twitch and writhe mwah-ha-ha-HA-HA-HAAAA!!! Anyway, If you're like me and want a cost-efficient contact killer, this is it. I'll be adding other posts on here regarding my own experiences/research, DIY, PCOs I've dealt with, etc. Hope this helps.

This may be overkill, but some people go too far with sprays so here it goes: This is a "CONTACT" spray, which means you only spray it where you SEE bed bugs or their little dirty nesting areas where they usually lay eggs. You DO NOT spray this all over your entire bedroom/apartment/house. You ONLY spray it on the bed bugs and their eggs. The 91% alcohol in the solution is kinda flammable, so you want to use it sparingly.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2013 22:47:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear ith,

Being resourceful can pay off.

Here you've not only saved some hard earned cash but have also suitably described what you have there; a contact bed bug killer.

There are a number of folks who cannot afford to purchase retail RTU (ready to use) insecticide products for use against their bed bugs and who desperately seek alternatives.

However, we don't want to overlook certain safety concerns with such self fashioned products.

Regarding this instance:

> Please remember that alcohol is flammable and has a low flash point. Do NOT use alcohol based materials in the presence of an open flame, sparks or where threat of ignition exists.

> Alcohol is volatile and aromatic. This can be problematic for folks who have pulmonary problems (i.e. breathing problems) including asthma and others. As such, if you decide to use alcohol, it is wise to be sure to use it in combination with suitable ventilation.

> Also consider that you can remove bed bugs immediately through use of a suitable vacuum as well.

Good luck, hope this helps ! paul b.

3. Joseph49

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Mar 6 2013 23:35:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a pest control tech. I feel for those who have aquired bed bugs. Some of the things people do to try to get rid of them are almost painful to read. There is no cheap and easy answer to this problem. The best way is heat. Commercial operators cook a room for 2-3 hours and then do a chemical treatment as a backup. This works great but is very expensive. We have found that a non repellent pesticide is needed or the bugs will just be driven deeper into cover only to pop up months later. Phantom concentrate works very well for around the baseboards. For beds and furniture try Bedlam or Sterifab spray. ALL mattresses and box springs need to be encased in heavy plastic covers. DO YOUR HOMEWORK! These bugs can hide anywhere from beds to pictures to electronics, electrical outlets and so on. Everything needs to be treated. Alpine dust also works well. These products are not cheap. I read about people complaining about the cost of commercial pest control and I agree it is expensive. It's also extremely labor intensive if done right. With a chemical treatment, 3 services are required to even be somewhat sure you have gotton rid of them. The problem why most DIY bed bug projects fail is lack of attention to detail. Everything, no matter how small has to be checked. One cannot just spray whilly-nilly and hope the bugs will just walk through it and die. It doesn't work that way. You have to get down and go after them. Be aggressive. If infested clothing is to be washed be sure to dry them on TWO cycles of high heat. One cycle on the dryer isn't enough. It's a tough project and it's not cheap. Those trying to scrimp and spend nothing are more often than not doomed to fail. Always use proper protective gear. A lung full of dust or spray can ruin your day. Be safe and good luck.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,370 posts in 44,500 topics over 135 months by 19,513 of 20,193 members. Latest: friendlyroommate, Unlucky, Elfinserious