Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

difference between sand flea and bed bug bite

(3 posts)
  1. bugbgone

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 0:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

How can you tell the difference between a sand flea bite or "no see um" and a bed bug bite? I am thinking/hoping that is why my husband had red spots on his feet legs on a vacation in Florida . He was out fishing too on a small boat in a river, said there were bugs out then if that means anything...

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 0:59:14
    #

Login to Send PM

bugbgone - 2 minutes ago  » 
    How can you tell the difference between a sand flea bite or "no see um" and a bed bug bite? I am thinking/hoping that is why my husband had red spots on his feet legs on a vacation in Florida . He was out fishing too on a small boat in a river, said there were bugs out then if that means anything...

You can't tell. The South has many a biting/stinging thing.

Chiggers would be a good guess.

Jim

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 6 2010 7:09:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Sandflea is another name for certain terrestrial amphipods and these don't bite in so far as the species are not blood feeders as the "flea" part of their name suggests. Amphipods are crustaceans and have chewing mouthparts. The general public uses this term too freely. There were bed bugs on a cruise ship and the first answer the crew told the passengers was that you were on an island yesterday so you have sandflea bites. No-see-ums is the term for certain ceratopogonid flies and, again, most people use it to explain "unexplained bites" from seemingly invisible sources.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.