Diazinon :)

(9 posts)
  1. revilre

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 1:11:58
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I'm in the exceptionally early stages of infestation. I have no signs of bites, no marks on the bed, no signs of nests etc. in my apartment. But I do have bed bugs, as I have captured two live ones (using freeze spray) and collected the castings of four more.

Anyway, I have to unfortunately wait until June 19th before I get my first PCO in here. Landlord is helpful, but ignorant (claims they don't move from apartments and that the apartments next to me aren't affected as they have had no complaints). Also says their PCO can take care of it in one treatment if I am cooperative. Yeah right.

Well anyway I found "someone" from a rural area out of state who just happens to still have some Diazinon who just "happens" to be coming to my city a week after the landlords PCO will treat. So anyway I am thrilled, I don't care about this stuff being potentially toxic, because apparently this stuff still works in one treatment and is residual for several months as long its not exposed to water or excessive sunlight. There is enough of this chemical available to me that will be left behind that I can treat my apartment again in a few months and as it is needed. Hopefully this will halt my minor infestation in its tracks, and give me the tools needed to keep any from a neighboring apartment out of mine.

I need to quietly talk to the neighbors and see if there is any issues with them and get them on a plan to take care of it. If not, Diazinon + DE should keep them out of here (along with protecting my bed which I believe is clean right now, but I will still put it in a beg bug proof cover.) Keep things picked up, and make it as uninviting for the bastards as I can.

Wish me luck everyone, I'm hoping that due to my OCD nature and being afraid of nearly all bugs, I can stop this before it starts. I just happened to notice the shed skins, since, well being a clean freak I notice that stuff. But I am sure its bed bugs, as I caught a live adult. Okay its late, I should get ready for bed (which a part of me wants to avoid even though apparently I have no problems there)

2. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 9:06:10
    #

Login to Send PM

WARNING TO PCO DO NOT TREAT THIS APARTMENT!!!!

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 13:41:28
    #

Login to Send PM

http://extoxnet.orst.edu/pips/diazinon.htm

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. SPDIBBK9Handler

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 16:26:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't imagine how scary hearing something like this is to a PCO. Imagine the neighbors do react badly to the Diazinon.... who will get the blame, lawsuit, and potentially lose their license and be fined for using a product the EPA pulled.. that was a restricted use when it was available, and for using it clearly in a way that is not allowed on the label. (A federal offense btw...) If you think the answer is Revilre, I have some ocean view property in Montana to sell ya.

5. MixedFeelings

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 21:01:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, so I read the URL and am not understanding... other indoor insects such as ants and silverfish are treated with Diazinon, why are some people upset this poster proposes it for BBs?

MF

6. bugbasher

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 4 2008 21:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

MF,
    Diazinon is a EPA pulled product that can't legally be used anymore.They are up in arms because if Revilre talks some poor pco into using it they would be essentially breaking the law and open to lawsuits.Also,in NY you're not allowed to use a product if the pest is not on the label I think.It would probably work well for bb's but due to it being banned,it's not a good idea to ask any pco apply it.I personally would like to see products in this class available again for bb's only.I'd bet money if someone important enough gets bb's in their residence,they will get treated with products that work,even if they are outlawed products.

7. revilre

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 2:24:53
    #

Login to Send PM

A) no PCO would be applying it. B) when EPA pulled there one caveat: Persons who owned are allowed to continue to use it - it is not banned from use, only from manufacture and sale. And C) Diazinon is currently on the WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION list of pesticides for use against bed bugs. Remember the rest of the world isn't ruled by a bunch of psychotic government bureaucrats.

We're talking 0.5% concentration of diazinon here as well, the recommended levels by the WHO. I grew up with this stuff being used regularly to treat for ants both indoors and outdoors.

Oh well if there is an issue, moderators just delete my post and my account. I am not coming back.

8. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 11:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

On a post about compressed air revilre proposed a somewhat off color comment to which I responded.....
    For those of you curious about revilre's comment I would refer you to another thread initiated by revilre in regard to diazinon. I just found it odd how in this post they referred to a low impact methodology while in another they proposed using a material
    which is not low impact but rather a discontinued material in a manner which would be
    illegal in NY and the site of application on and around a bed is pretty assuredly not on the label.( Kind of like firing for effect) On that post I simply commented with a warning to any PCO not to service in that type of scenario. I would however agree with revilre that many measures that may offer control options for bed bugs have been denied even to professionals based on politics and warm fuzzy green feelings by folks unaffected by bed bugs. My post here was to the PCO who may be involved the clear and present danger of the application of an illegal, odorous product in an apartment they may be treating and the continued reapplication of that material. I in no way intended a personal attack on the author.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 5 2008 12:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- Revilre, I think the point is that a PCO who later treats your home AFTER you use Diazinon, is in some danger. Are you planning to disclose this to them?

(FYI -- People should be disclosing any treatments they've done, to PCOs who come later, since it can affect treatment.)

I am not deleting your account based on comments in this thread, and I am not sure why you're requesting that. People have a right to weigh in on your plan as you've noted it above.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,358 posts in 29,439 topics over 90 months by 12,704 of 19,967 members. Latest: ShooBug, BuggyNoMoreIHope, hinfungyik