Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Diatomaceous Earth - Skin Irritant/Pin Prick Abrasions ?

(13 posts)
  1. gladiator

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 5 2011 19:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Fairly new to this phenomena after mysterious bites and bloodspots, but no confirmed infestation of bugs yet. Assuming the possibility of BBs being the culprit I have spent time researching this site. After reading about Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth I purchased some and began to use it recently. Now something different is occurring and I am wondering if the cause could be due to overuse of DE.

Prior to DE, I began noticing an itching on my back and after scratching I noticed what looked like a few mosquito bites close together with a doted center. After this happened a few times I began to question what else it could be if bites and ended up at this site. I then purchased the Food Grade DE and began to dust it around with a puffer around and under my bed, along the floor boards, on the furniture etc. Then after another series of bites and bloodstains I got quite disturbed and went on a 'mission' indiscriminately spraying the dust even on part of my mattress cover (angry emotion can lead to rash action).

Now the interesting part of all this and I am wondering if anyone knows of a study regarding what I have to say.

Since all this dusting a new development has taken place. I am finding little pin prick skin abrasions mostly on my hands, a few on my feet and feeling an overall crawly/itchy irritation of my skin.

I had been wondering what people meant about the non raised little red pin pricks appearing on their skin and crawling sensations they were experiencing over their bodies and am now questioning for myself if this is not due to an over application of DE and it's skin drying effects.

Since the product is itself a 'Desiccant' and abrasive to the insects, I am wondering what affect it has on contact with human skin tissue. Can it actually cause little skin abrasions?

The little red abrasions I am now getting are itchy and irritating but not similar to what I first perceived to be bites.

Is anyone aware of research done on the use of DE in the home and the potential skin irritating results that can follow.

After reading numerous posts of day long prickly sensations by others and now experiencing them myself. I am seriously thinking that it may possibly be the result of the skin drying and irritating effects from DE on surfaces in the home or particulates in the air adhering to the skin.

I have googled DE and it is definitely a skin irritant. I wonder now if we have considered how 'much' of an irritant it can actually be. Could the DE be causing what we are experiencing. Are these new sensations from different little bites or the spreading about of this product. I would love to know if anyone knows of a proper study of this issue, especially since there is so much speculation regarding bites as a non definitive proof of BB's. I looked but could not find one. This is a very helpful site ... thanks to all who contribute to it.

2. victimized

new username: help_me

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 1:07:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I myself have considered this. I am not sure what the PCO has used in my home, but I have not used DE of any type. They did apply dusting in their crack and crevice treatment which I thought was Phantom although the guy who was here tonight showed me his can of Phantom which turned out to be the aerosol spray they use.

However, when this first started I had large red and welty marks or marks that would start as pimples and then turn into welts. I immediately and initially attributed these to folliculitis, pimples, yadda yadda. After we realized we had bed bugs here and started undergoing treatment the little tiny red marks were suddenly EVERYWHERE!

Mostly on the tops of my feet and around the inside of my knees and along my thighs. They recently started appearing along my hips... pretty much everywhere. I am suspicious because they come in two's or in straight lines. Maybe two things are happening at once?

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 1:45:02
    #

Login to Send PM

You need to find out what dust they applied. Deltadust can cause an itchy condition called paraesthesia.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/DELTA%20DUST%201%20BAY11650.pdf

Tempo can cause burning, tingling, redness and irritation

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/msds/TempoDust_msds.pdf

DE dries your skin like there is no tomorrow.

Jim

4. gladiator

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 1:53:54
    #

Login to Send PM

This is a very interesting coincidence. I hope someone with more knowledge of this can shed some light on this. If not then there needs to be more investigation into the treatments being used and what possible side affects they can have on people. Thanks for sharing your similar experience 'Victimized'.

5. gladiator

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 1:58:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok Jim thank you. I was writing my second post before reading yours. Will read the links tomorrow. Also thanks regarding the additional info that DE does indeed dry your skin like no tomorrow. This helps confirm my thoughts. Can it also cause little itchy red abrasions.

6. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 2:03:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh ok, they used Alpine dust. Just checked the service slip he printed out. I knew that but couldn't remember that for some reason. It is an interesting topic because there are two different sets of symptoms. Those little pin prick bites (and under magnification some are incredibly tiny) plus the pimply itchy ones. Nothing makes sense anymore. Where is my freakin easy button??

7. victimized

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 2:06:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is exactly what they used as a matter of fact, since I have it out:
    Alpine dust: Dinotefuran .25% with the hand duster
    Phantom Aerosol: Chlorfenapyr .5%
    Rapid Freeze Applied

8. gladiator

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 6 2011 11:06:38
    #

Login to Send PM

@ 'Victimized' ... Yes I agree and glad we brought this up. In my case I think I overdid it with the DE and exposed my skin to it's drying and abrasive effects. When all of a sudden I started getting these secondary tiny red lesions I wondered 'could I be getting bitten from little nymphs like this or am I going nuts'. I felt the same 'like nothing makes sense anymore'. Then I thought there has to be a secondary cause and I deduced that it must be an irritant from over dusting with the DE. I started using a high quality skin moisturizing and anti itch cream 2 days now and it is helping with the irritation and itch. Will see how it goes here on and if this continues to occur. I would advise people to use gloves and a good dust mask while applying any form of dust product. Also be aware that if you dust your furniture with it and it comes in contact with your skin there may be symptoms that follow which you may think are more bites. We need to be conscious on the cautionary side of what products are being used and how they can cause additional irritations to the skin upon exposure. Still would like to know if anyone else has anything to add to this thread re similar experience or knowledge regarding this topic.
    @ spideyjg - thanks again for the links and info regarding the dusts !

9. scaredsilly

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 0:23:02
    #

Login to Send PM

The chemicals being used at home were switched and now I have smaller pin prick things also. I'm having a hard time decerning between bites and bumps now (sounds silly but when Demand was being used the bugs were more active and madder so I got more bites and they had big obvious holes in the center.) I am not sure if the pin pricks are from nymphs, DE irritation, or sensitivity to what was sprayed on the bed. However, this has been brought up in other threads so it is not an uncommon phenomenon. Like the experts say, best to not just judge whether or not you still have bugs by skin lesions.

10. Evilsqueakheads

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 1:56:21
    #

Login to Send PM

This is interesting. I have had problems with "pin prick" marks since my first bedbug infestation a year ago and a half ago. I thought it was a separate skin condition. The doctors had no clue what it was.

I used baking soda on my bed to kill the bugs on my first infestation (it was my friend's advice). I heard baking soda has some DE in it. I was then treated by a PCO. The marks started appearing at the end of my infestation. My memory is a little fuzzy but it might have been after the chemical treatment.

As of the second infestation a month ago, I have started using DE by applying it to my hands, thinning it out, and clapping. I put it RIGHT on my mattress and slept on top of it later. Irritation has appeared but it's not like the pinpricks. Just redness everywhere on my hands. The pinpricks are the same as ever, and should be all over my hands and body if it was from DE. But there isn't a single one that isn't on an arm or a leg.

Gladiator was never treated by a PCO. That rules out chemicals. What if it's a condition caused by the bedbugs?

My pricks were painful when I first got them a year and a half ago but now I don't notice them. I'm not getting as many now. They appear on the front of my arms and legs, and nowhere else. "red marks" are openings in my skin, like wounds. I may have had crawling at first, but now I don't.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 14 2011 10:47:39
    #

Login to Send PM

gladiator - 1 week ago  » 
    Since all this dusting a new development has taken place. I am finding little pin prick skin abrasions mostly on my hands, a few on my feet and feeling an overall crawly/itchy irritation of my skin.
    I had been wondering what people meant about the non raised little red pin pricks appearing on their skin and crawling sensations they were experiencing over their bodies and am now questioning for myself if this is not due to an over application of DE and it's skin drying effects.

It's possible that DE is irritating your skin if your skin is coming into contact with it.

However, I would note that people have reported the symptoms you describe in cases where DE was not used.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. Ann B

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Mar 20 2011 23:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Try brewing up some strong tea and put it in the fridge to cool.
    Then soak a rag in the mixture and use it as a cold compress.
    I have super sensitive skin and this has totally helped me in the past with my bites
    Good luck!

13. buggied

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 3:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I know this is an old post..and I may be way off, but since gladiator has never seen the BBs perhaps the pin pricks and itch could be something else...It actually sounds alot likte scabies.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,353 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter