Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug news and events

Delta Five Launches Automated Bed Bug and Insect Monitoring System

(13 posts)
  1. crossroads

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 11:27:29
    #

Login to Send PM

A new system aimed at the hospitality industry hits the market, promising all sorts of automated wifi-enabled goodies. Will be very interesting to see how this one pans out!

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-five-launches-automated-bed-bug-and-insect-monitoring-system-300439312.html

Report: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/13/delta-five-aim-helps-hotels-catch-bed-bugs-early.html

Company website: https://deltafive.com/

Delta Five's Automated Insect Monitoring System has a proven 98% success rate at detecting bed bugs and other insects, and preventing pest encounters...
    Delta Five's system is compact, attaches easily to out-of-sight surfaces and provides remote 24/7 monitoring with real-time notification. It utilizes an all-natural, odorless lure to attract bed bugs and other insects, which are noticed by the device's internal cameras that, in turn, activate the traps. The WiFi enabled system immediately notifies users via email or SMS. Users can simultaneously track thousands of sites, view images of captured pests and see alerts on the Delta Five dashboard. Because the system traps the insects, disposal is also easy.

2. crossroads

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 11:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

PS. Seems they have a proper entomologist working for them, which I guess counts for something:
    https://deltafive.com/index.php/dr-coby-schal-talks-bed-bugs/
    https://projects.ncsu.edu/cals/entomology/schal

3. FayeState

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 18:59:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea how much it cost - couldn't find a cost on the web site.

4. crossroads

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Apr 15 2017 22:21:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea how much it cost - couldn't find a cost on the web site.

Sorry, no idea either... it seems to get a quote, one has to register on their website and then a sales person will call.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Apr 16 2017 9:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I went on to their website and listed in the next paragraph some of their promotional points. I added in the definition of synomone. There are now many companies (I think 8 or so) that are producing and marketing WiFi enabled devices to alert you to pest activity. This one claims over 90% effective, but this is effective at letting you know when the pests are there. I guess the other 10% of it not doing this is when the pests don't want to go into the device at all.

"It produces heat, vapors, pheromones, kairomones, synomones (synomone = allomone (compound produced by one organism that affects, detrimentally, the behaviour of a member of another species. If the benefit is to the recipient the substance is referred to as a kairomone, if both organisms benefit then it is a synomone.), allomones, fragrances, etc. All natural odorless lure specifically designed to attrract bed bugs and other insects nearby. Chambers appeal to thigmotactic inclined insects. 24/7 monitoring, WiFi enabled. Hypertargeted approach is proven to have a success rate of over 90%, allowing you to share critical information with your ...
    Over 90% effective at alerting to presence of bugs before guest is impacted. 250% more reliable than visual inspection.
    The device connects to the property's existing WiFi network and includes software dashboard that provides a history of all occurrences. When a pest enters one of the two chambers on the device, a low resolution image is taken and emailed to the property for further action."

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. crossroads

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 7:58:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou, I didn't know there were already so many systems of that type. Hopefully increased competition in that space will drive prices down and reliability up.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Apr 17 2017 8:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

crossroads - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Lou, I didn't know there were already so many systems of that type. Hopefully increased competition in that space will drive prices down and reliability up.

Actually this is the only one I know geared to arthropods; others I know are rodent based. I'm sure they'll be many. Software is important and integrating all to blueprints of building footprint, 3-D views, etc. of monitors would be good. Now obviously have will have data and reviews of collections, seasonality, etc. Would be nice to see real structure of building so hidden pathways can be identified.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 10:28:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

While 90% seems impressive when you scale this out to "at risk" environments that 10% soon equates to multiple rooms.

Experience has taught me that pure "chemical ecology" alone will never get you the 100% of bugs that you want under optimal conditions due in part to the fact that bed bug is a quantitative language at its core and as such shelf life and clear message are never going to be good bed fellows from a synthetic perspective.

Not one we are likely to see in Europe anytime soon as the regulations here are very tight on chemical lures and any product that "claims chemical attraction also attract the need for regulatory approval" which is itself a costly process to put a product through.

Interesting idea though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  9. crossroads

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 12:36:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the perspectives, Lou and David.

Now obviously have will have data and reviews of collections, seasonality, etc. Would be nice to see real structure of building so hidden pathways can be identified.

Super interesting idea, hadn't thought of this tech in terms of a tool for gathering research data! I suppose it will have to be very well proven before that's a possibility.

Not one we are likely to see in Europe anytime soon as the regulations here are very tight on chemical lures

Is Brexit likely to affect this in the UK?

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Apr 18 2017 12:54:58
    #

Login to Send PM

crossroads - 4 minutes ago  » 

Not one we are likely to see in Europe anytime soon as the regulations here are very tight on chemical lures

Is Brexit likely to affect this in the UK?

It is one of the many "hidden" aspects of Brexit. As the country may longer need to comply with EU regulations this will be part of the raft of new legislation that will be needed as there will be a "hole in the processes".

However, we need to first get passed the repealing of the fixed term parliament act to enable the triggering of the general election called by the conservative leader this morning. It may not surprise some that a portion of my time is given up to monitoring legislative issues and how this and other governments have been behaving.

I certainly don't hold up much hope for any new legislation being written that is advantageous to consumers with regards environmental health issues as the consultation process itself does seem to be deeply flawed.

Its a shame as the EU project to standardize quality of service delivery in the pest control sector is starting to take shape and the low risk Biocide approval process opens up a route for ethical and chemical free products to establish a market presence without appearing to be too "snake oily".

It may effect my clients in France and how we are able to interact with them but for the most part they are the model of self sufficiency (thankfully). Not that I don't enjoy the travel but when you are visiting your third high altitude resort in a day the process of hitting the valley floor and going back up does not make for a happy team although watching one villages annual bell pouring ceremony made up for it.

David

11. crossroads

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed May 17 2017 13:03:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Delta Five has published another press release, claiming that so far their invention is a great success:
    http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delta-five-raises-the-bar-in-battle-against-bed-bugs-300458131.html

Delta Five has witnessed a complete elimination of bed bug posts from guests at sites that deploy its Automated Insect Monitoring System.
    "... Delta Five sites have preemptively captured more than 98% of bed bugs, reducing sightings, claims and treatments, as well as eliminating the dreaded bed bug post on social media."

12. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed May 17 2017 17:06:16
    #

Login to Send PM

An interesting idea but results may be different in a home environment. Hotel rooms are more spartan than a typical home with fewer competing harborages. so I could see better results there with a single monitor, even with an attractant. That said, if it works in hotels, great.

Richard

13. Ombugsman

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri May 19 2017 16:25:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So the box is placed against the wall at the head of the bed. If someone's in the bed, a bed bug would just climb a bed leg, bite the person and then harbor in the box spring or frame. It would have no incentive to enter the box; hard to believe their lure would be more enticing than the CO2, heat of a human being. If the room goes empty for a while, then any bugs might start to roam and enter the box but the room would probably have to be empty for a few days at least.

It seems to me this would work better if the bed were isolated. Then bugs would have a greater chance of entering the box after being unable to climb legs. Since they appear to be targeting hotels, ClimbUps or glue traps under legs probably wouldn't be acceptable. Maybe something like
    these more discreet devices would work but they'd have to replaced from time to time at additional cost. Clear slippery tape on the legs might work but they'd have to be maintained (talced) and checked/replaced also.

It's bizarre they they introduce this product but there appears to be no independent testing or pilot implementation other than some vague marketing stuff.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

255,552 posts in 40,924 topics over 125 months by 17,908 of 18,300 members. Latest: lagayle59, kleio, Tyedye203