Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Definition of Infestation.

(7 posts)
  1. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 2 2009 23:02:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Question : How does one define infestation. Is seeing a few as good as seeing an infestation or is seeing dozens then considered an infestation.

My PCO couldn't find an "infestation" 2 months ago, but since the first onslaught of these vampires, my husband and I have caught and killed about 20.

The PCO still feels there is no infestation, but at this point, I don't know. Granted, we didn't see them every day/night. These 20 were caught over a period of 2 months.

Personally, think this is definitely an infestation.

2. johnabq

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Sep 2 2009 23:45:04
    #

Login to Send PM

They multiply pretty fast, and if you're actually finding them in your house, there could very well be an infestation. 5 females * 3 eggs per day =15 bed bugs * 30 days =450 bed bugs in one month. This is from five bed bugs alone.

I am no expert on the matter, just sharing information that I have read.

John

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2009 0:56:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro, so I'm only speaking from my own experience.

For me, an infestation means that you have bed bugs in the home. Because bed bugs can multiply in numbers so fast, having even one impregnated female or one adult male and one adult female can mean that the bugs can develop into a full scale infestation.

If you've found 20 bed bugs, that's an infestation.

I guess what I don't understand is when you say your PCO doesn't consider it an infestation, what does that matter? Is he treating you for bed bugs?

And, are you 100% sure that the bugs you're finding are bed bugs. Remember that there are a lot of bugs that look like bed bugs.

4. WorldWar-BB

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2009 3:40:21
    #

Login to Send PM

To be completely honest, even if the sighting of one bedbug is not absolutely an infestation, there is no reason why you shouldn't consider it to be at least a mild one (infestation) and unless treated early enough will soon become a persistent condition. Much like most other critters, there are never just one.

In my own experience, bedbugs are extremely persistent and act in an almost cunning manner, and so I reccommend taking preventative measures as if you had an infestation.

5. floored

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2009 20:28:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm also not an expert, but from my experience (fighting the bugs for about 5 months and only seeing a couple at the beginning) I'd say that you DEFINITELY have an infestation that requires prompt treatment.

Anyway, what in the world does it mean to say that you "don't have an infestation?" "Infestation" is just a word -- you have bedbugs so the sooner you start treating the better.

6. bbfiend

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Sep 3 2009 20:43:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks you all for your sharing. The PCO had been here about 5 times to date, tomorrow is another round. Granted, he's guaranteed the treatment for 6 months, but what I know is that he treated my friend's apartment and he spent 5 hours in the first time. With us, he was here less than an hour, in that hour, he couldn't find anything. Nothing. Everything he were caught by my husband and i (we took turned staying up, using each other as bait).

buggyinsocal : they are definitely bbs, been bitten by them and we kept them for the PCO whenever he came.

Basically, each time we caught them, we called him. He couldn't find eggs, nor poop on/in our mattresses/bedding/pillows/sheets. Nothing. We checked every night too, and those we caught, we see them crawling onto the mattresses.

It's frustrating, we are still de-cluttering, and are living out of ziploc bags, and after a month of nothing, I got bitten 2 nights ago again.

My questioning about the infestation is because it seems that because the PCO doesn't think there's an infestation, as in, he can't find any evidence, I don't think he's treating our situation seriously. My husband may disagree but that's how I feel. Everytime we call him after catching 1/2 or however many, he would say he doesn't understand....

We've also been caulking and have more of that to do, and vacuuming and still continuing to do tons of laundry. Don't think there's anything in the clothes, and he's also sprayed and given us extra spray to periodically spray the apartment. Even the couch had been sprayed before but yet, I was bitten ON the couch.

I just want to be able to communicate the situation to the PCO and not have him say "I don't understand why they are still around...". He had been HIGHLY recommended and my friend hasn't had any return of the bbs after that one treatment. In her case, they found the whole kahuna of a nest.

7. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Sep 4 2009 15:57:39
    #

Login to Send PM

An infestation is a population capable of growing. Twenty bugs is certainly an infestation.

Assuming that the PCO agreed that the bugs you found were bed bugs, when he's telling you that he doesn't understand, he's telling you that he doesn't know how to treat your situation. Find another PCO.

If you're living in an apartment or other multi-unit, attached structure, consider that the bugs may be coming from an adjacent unit. It's also theoretically possible that your car(s) could be infested, and they could be catching rides into the (poisoned) house on your clothes and in your bags.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

199,814 posts in 30,979 topics over 94 months by 13,427 of 20,831 members. Latest: erickeese, peter911, AshleyMJ