Debugging cats

(22 posts)
  1. bedbugcanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 21:22:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I have had treatment #2, which is theoretically supposed to get rid of my problem. However, it seems that a few have found a new home on my 2 cats! Any suggestions for safely removing bugs from cats? I know the obvious is to give the cats a bath.... but as anyone with a cat knows, when you try to give a cat a bath, it turns a sweet little creature into a tazmanian devil, where you end up with more water on you and the floor than on the cat! And some claws to the mix and you have quite a recipe for a whole lot of excitement!

2. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 21:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

So happy you asked this because I also would like to hear any suggestions.

Unfortunately I have searched the internet up and down and found no answers. I know my cat was being bit by bed bugs and now she has skin issues (she had no skin issues for 10 years before this bed bug drama). I think it is from both the bites and the chemicals sprayed in my apt. I took her to the vet and was told me "bed bugs do not bite cats/dogs". I didn't want to tell my vet she was wrong so I stayed quiet and left with the advice to switch her diet in case it is an allergic reaction to her food and to get Zyrtec and give her 5mg of that a day.

I know it isn't her food but will switch anyway and will try Zyrtec in hopes if it is a reaction from the chemicals this will give my cat some relief.

I'm going back to vet tomorrow to get Revolution. It is a flea medication. It will not stop any bed bugs I might still have in my apt from biting her (since my bed is isolated if they are left and hungry they will bite her) nor will it cure her skin problem but I pray since it is a medication that enters the bloodstream and kills fleas once they bite that MAYBE any bed bugs that do bite her might die.

I WISH I could bathe my cat but it would be impossible to bathe her without some kind of sedative so all I can do is brush her and take a wet towel and wipe her down best I can.

I do not believe they live on cats/dogs like fleas. They bite them and leave them just like they do us so brushing your cats should easily remove any bugs that might happen to be on them. From what I read bed bugs can not maneuver thru hair well or attach themselves to it so that is why brushing should take off any that might be on your cat.

I hope someone else gives both of us advice.

3. barbarabugfree

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 22:41:51
    #

Login to Send PM

JUST CALLED MY VET ABOUT THIS TEN MIN AGO. SHE SAID SHE RESEARCHED IT AND BEST FOR BED BUGS IS FRONTLINE IT HAS THE MOST ACTIVE CHEMICAL NEEDED FOR BED BUGS. SHE TOO SAID THEY DO NOT LIKE TO BITE CATS, BUT I HAVE SEEN DIFFERENTLY. ALSO YOU CAN SPRAY OR TREAT THE BEDDING-THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING...I AM GOING TO TRY TO HIDE SACHETS OF LAVENDAR AND THE BLACK WALNUT (IF I COULD FIND THE STUFF!?!) IN PLACES WHERE THE KITTIES GO FREQUENTLY...JUST DO NOT LET KITTIES ACTUALLY GET TO THEM. GOOD LUCK...THIS IS HELL...

4. bedbugcanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 23:09:20
    #

Login to Send PM

My older cat will wake me up in the middle of the night by her cry-like meowing. I would often find her standing sadly in her cat bed. When I washed her bed, I found a couple of dead bed bugs in it when I took it from the dryer. I put some DE under the pillow, but I ended up throwing it out because she wouldn't go near it, even though it was clean and bug free. She has taken to lying on the floor in the kitchen, poor thing! My younger cat has started sleeping on a tall dresser far from my bed, whereas he used to always sleep curled up beside me.

Interestingly, the pest control expert who came the second time told me to give my cats a couple of baths in the week following the treatment. He told me that bed bugs can stay on cats when infestations are bad.

I have tried wiping them down with an enzyme cleaner (http://www.licesquad.com/index.php/enzymes-a-more/enzymes-benefitsuses.html). It is harmless to humans and pets, but effectively kills live bugs within seconds of being sprayed directly with it. (It is really expensive, but it is an alternative to chemicals - you dilute it with water in a 1-7 ratio (one part solution, 7 parts water)). After wetting down one cat, I did pull one dead bed bug off of her.

5. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 23:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

barbarabugfree - 57 minutes ago  » BEST FOR BED BUGS IS FRONTLINE

I'm not sure it is for the main reason that I believe bed bugs are not lingering in my cats hair for long. They are on her and then off her and from what I read Frontline (and Frontline Plus) poisons fleas because they linger on the hair follicles long enough to die. Frontline does not go into the bloodstream of your pet so if a bed bug bites them and leaves then in my opinion Frontline would not work.

Have you actually found a bed bug on your cat/kitten? I have not.

6. bedbugcanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 23:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you are right, because I hate to think that they are living on my pets.

7. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Aug 17 2011 23:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugcanada - 34 minutes ago  » I have tried wiping them down with an enzyme cleaner (http://www.licesquad.com/index.php/enzymes-a-more/enzymes-benefitsuses.html). It is harmless to humans and pets, but effectively kills live bugs within seconds of being sprayed directly with it. (It is really expensive, but it is an alternative to chemicals - you dilute it with water in a 1-7 ratio (one part solution, 7 parts water)). After wetting down one cat, I did pull one dead bed bug off of her.

Thank you for this info. I will look into it immediately. As far as the dead bed bug I would think it was a small possibility it was on her but dead already? Maybe it was dead on the floor (died from whatever your PCO sprayed) and cat picked it up?

I do believe bed bugs bite our pets just not sure they live on them. Why wouldn't they live on us too? And I wish someone who knew more than me would let us know if it's true that bed bugs can't deal with hair well therefore would have a very hard time staying much less living on our pets.

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 0:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

There is a BB labeled pest spray and dust called Alpine containing Dinotefuran.

There is a flea treatment called First Shield that uses Dinotefuran as the active ingredient. I would suggest using that flea treatment product on the cats.

There are AFAIK no studies to prove this but it is a logical deduction that a product with an active ingredient used to kill BBs is the better choice.

Jim

9. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 0:18:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the info Jim! I will look into if Dinotefuran is safe for cats. There are some flea shampoos/medications which are safe for dogs but unfortunately highly toxic to cats. I hope Dinotefuran is safe for cats so I can try it asap!

Update: Just checked and they make First Shield for cats so I will buy it tomorrow. I know the amount of Dinotefuran might have to be higher to kill bed bugs than fleas (seems the concentrate for killing bed bugs with any chemical is always higher) but knowing it has an active ingredient in it that does kill bed bugs is very promising! Thank u again.

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 0:28:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I use it on my cat since she was old enough.

F/S is 22% dinotefuran and the alpine products are 0.5% in a spray and .25% in the dust.

Jim

11. bedbugcanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 21:49:38
    #

Login to Send PM

The First Shield info sounds great! I hope it is available in Canada!

12. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 22:05:02
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugcanada - 14 minutes ago  » 
    The First Shield info sounds great! I hope it is available in Canada!

I hope u can find it. In the states First Shield is only sold at PetSmart so if that chain exists in
    Canada I would say look there first. If not maybe u can order it online.

13. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 22:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Vectra 3D is the same active ingredients but I've never used it.

http://www.summitvetpharm.com/Veterinarians/Products/Cats-Kittens/

14. djames1921

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2011 22:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Please, no putting cats in a Packtite. My cat likes to lay beside mine when it is on, but that's as close as i let her get.

Disclosure: I make Packtite and did not intend for cats to be placed inside, ever.

15. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 0:34:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Jim is correct.

Vectra looks like a good choice to protect your pet.

I have started recommending Vectra / First Shield to BedBugDog owners as an alternative to Frontline for their K9s.

Talk to your Vet... Do not exceed the recommended dosage!

16. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 0:55:49
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Please, no putting cats in a Packtite.

Lol! Too funny!

I just realized I rubbed DE on my cat because I read it was safe but now I'm reading it can dry out their skin. I'm so focused on bed bugs that I immediately assumed it was her unfortunate reaction to bed bug bites but now I think I might be wrong and it's the DE.

I had DE everywhere in my place for the first few days after I first found out I had bed bugs. My apt looked like a pastry shop. I was walking across the DE and my cat was laying in the DE. Also because I read it was safe to apply to animals coats I rubbed it on her ears, stomach and paws. All the areas she is currently having issues with.

Bed bugs create all these others problems that would never exist if getting rid of them wasn't so difficult. My cat is healthy. This was her first visit to the vet in five years.

Yes I know I should have NEVER ever ever applied DE that way. I know this now. But I also read and most information online is DE is safe to apply to animals. So even if I hadn't put it all over my apt I still would have applied it to my cat directly.

17. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 1:13:09
    #

Login to Send PM

How ironic is it that I used DE on my cat without thinking much about it but I haven't even bought First Shield yet because I read there's a class action law suit against it because of so many bad reactions animals are having to it. Some reviews I read were really scary. I figure my cat is already itching and miserable I don't want to use anything on her that might cause her more discomfort.

Once my cats skin completely heals if I know I still have bed bugs then I might try First Shield (probably will) and it will probably cause her no reaction.

18. bedbugcanada

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Aug 19 2011 20:58:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I could tell that DE dried out the skin because my hands got very dry every time I handled it. Sorry to hear about your cat's experience with it, Notetoself. The good thing is that skin grows back, so I am sure she will be fine.

Thanks for the great chuckle, DJames!

And thank you to DougSummer for the other suggestion.

19. UnheardBanshee

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2011 1:21:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought they didn't bite dogs and cats. As far as I know my dog hasn't been getting bitten. He was torturing a bb he found on my pillow one morning tho. He gets Trifexis every month. I don't know if that's repelling them and I'm not sure if they make it for cats either. He's also got short wiry slicked-back fur so that could be it too.

Sorry about your poor kitty. I know it's safe to give them benadryl. If she's still having skin reaction, like if she's itchy. If you can get her to take it of course i have to force my dog to take any pills.

20. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 11:15:10
    #

Login to Send PM

UnheardBanshee - 1 day ago  » I thought they didn't bite dogs and cats.

From what I read bed bugs prefer human blood (and mostly hairless skin) but they will bite other animals if no humans are available. They do not have "claws" like fleas so moving thru hair isn't easy for them and feeding thru hair is very difficult because it's hard for them to get into the position they need to be in with their front legs in order to feed but if/once they can find exposed skin (ears, stomach, etc) then they can feed without any problems.

I believe and will continue to believe that they can and sometimes do bite our pets. It's just they don't bite them very often and probably like humans most do not have severe reactions to the bites.

21. LJ

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 11:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

My little pibble Emma has been bitten every time I've had an infestation. She's quite the allergic little girl, so she does get itchy and the bites are quite visible because she's got a bare little pink belly ripe for attack. Last time I had them I found one struggling to stay put on her upper inside flank, overfull (greedy guy), and spreading blood in a circle around itself in it's efforts. Many vets still believe that they won't attack non-human hosts but it's just not true. Because I haven't tended to react much to bites, she unfortunately is a bit of a "canary in a coal mine" in our home. I also found one resting while digesting in between the cushions of her bed a few years ago. Gak!

22. NoteToSelfPleaseRemainCalm

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Aug 21 2011 19:11:02
    #

Login to Send PM

LJ - 7 hours ago  » Many vets still believe that they won't attack non-human hosts but it's just not true.

So sorry poor Emma has to suffer too. I wish more vets were aware that our pets do get bitten and are also effected by these bugs then maybe we could get a company to research and find a medication that could kill fleas, ticks AND bed bugs. I think this is very possible I just don't think the demand for a medication for our animals that kills bed bugs is in that high of a demand... yet.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,967 posts in 29,376 topics over 90 months by 12,670 of 19,923 members. Latest: BigAl, bbedge, wierdbugonbed