Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

David Question about monitor placement

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 15:00:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I am going to be placing 1 monitor in a persons home who just moved in. He ditched his old place and mattress that was infested. He claims he washed all his clothes and only brought along those clothes and kitchen stuff.. however his infestation was quite heavy in his old place (several fecal clusters in his mattress) and he had it confirned via messaging with a PCO.
    Anyways he did not treat his car or work so there is a slim chance he could re-infest himself. I offered a passive monitor to him but he has no bed or couch. He sleeps on a blanket on the floor. Where would I have him place the monitor?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 15:32:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

This is the closest graphic to the situation you have described:

PassiveMonitorInstallMattressOnly by David Cain, on Flickr

Yes, I share you concern with the vehicle and the work environment, it may be worth you sharing the information on "local sources" and "infestation dynamics" with them. I have written about this in TbyPMR in hope that people can start to understand that how you got / get bed bugs can be as important as how you get rid of them. After all even the best fail when someone continues to bring the problem back in. This is in essence why QC of treatment is the ethically correct thing to do.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Tue Mar 14 2017 17:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm so have him place it near the wall on the floor sort of underneath his bedding? Like maybe under his pillow?

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 4:35:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Ideally you get a mattress under them so the quality of sleep is restored. While we are more than capable of "surviving" on a blanket on the floor it is sub optimal to what we are "used to" and will result in a loss of sleep. Just an hour loss of sleep for 7 nights reduces your responses to the same level as drinking one unit of alcohol.

Compound this over a matter of weeks or months and throw in dash of anxiety and a jigger of stress and isolation and you have an unpleasant "mental health cocktail" and one you "consumed" (or were consumed by) without even realizing it.

The best way to describe this is like an under taker, I expect to meet people at a low point in their lives and thus take pleasure from watching them come back from the brink. The slide can be gradual with most so they tend to not notice it, its only those they have not seen in a while who are likely to say "your not yourself".

It also helps people greatly to be able to mark out their bed, its their "safe space" their "nest" and gives us a sense of security.

With all that in mind even if the base of the bed is just a blanket or two laid down and things built up on top of it the act of making it helps settle the person.

I also wanted to say thanks on behalf of the person you have given space to when others might have cast them from the door because of bed bugs. While doing this may not be possible for those with a "true" (clinically diagnosable) reaction tot he subject of bed bugs there are plenty out there who might not have felt comfortable doing this because of their history of bed bugs.

You have shown a response that justifies the time I spend here and for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. There is no "like", "love" or "share" buttons but for posts like this there should be.

David

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 12:21:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I just really hate bed bugs. I don't wish them on my worst enemy (even though I don't have a "worst enemy" I love everyone lol) but the reason I do what I do is because no one, especially people who are defenseless (babies, elderly and disabled) deserves to constantly be attacked by such a pest.

The gentleman I am helping has been a friend for years. Though not really close friends but I still want to help him. If I could I would pay for everyone affected in my community to be professionally treated and educated right this instant. If only I could win the lottery or find out I am an hieress to a fortune from a relative I never met hahha.

But he will be getting new beds soon. I suppose I could offer him my air mattress but the problem is he is really heavy. I don't know how long it would hold up.

Ill suggest that he at least get a foam mattress. I know the whole not getting sleep bit. I am a mother of 2 after all lol.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 7 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 12:48:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Since we are sharing:

I used to collect high end bedding from hotels , the kind 800 thread count Egyptian cotton and donate it at Christmas to the homeless shelters they run in London. Seemed to reset some of the balance.

When we had a warehouse and could store more things we always had 3 spare mattresses, 2 bases and a cot. Having walked out of a job wishing I could have helped someone in desperate need more than I could, I found that simple way to be able to do it and its one of the proudest things we have done as a company.

We donated a whole years system to an organisation that house the young and the vulnerable because they forgot to budget for it and knew the impact of not doing it was something they could not afford.

I also think this is why some people stay around the forum and help for a while, its a good way to give back. If your community can work together and there is anything I can do to help please let me know. If for no other reason than the tools we put together to help them will in turn help others.

I am a huge karma and zen fan and where many find troubled times in chaos I actually find it peaceful on one level (I must be in the right job).

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,392 posts in 42,999 topics over 129 months by 18,867 of 19,425 members. Latest: Bugbitehelp, laurenashley0726, kamsd