Daughter's Uncles house has bed bugs

(3 posts)
  1. Jen_50

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 9:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

My boyfriend dropped off our daughter at his brothers house to watch her for about an hour or so and just found out they have bed bugs. I don't know if they were outside playing which is what they tend to do or in the house playing. I know she won't sleep over there but as far as sitting on the couch I'm sure she has/is. I am now extremely paranoid and don't know what to do. I am at work and I am sure that her father won't know what to do when she gets home. And she has been over there before. She was over there just yesterday. Help me please?!

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Take a deep breath.

Then go read the FAQs on on this page. They detail what steps to take if you've been exposed to bed bugs somewhere.

Bed bugs are a pest of exposure. If you get exposed, you may bring them home.

If you take some pretty simply precautions, you can avoid bringing any hitch hikers home.

I know bed bugs are scary. An infestation can be costly--in terms of finances and the emotional toll--to treat. But it's not a foregone conclusion that having been exposed, your daughter will bring bugs home if you take the precautions above.

For what it's worth, I had a friend come over and help me while I was dealing with bed bug prep. I also stayed in at least three hotels when I had bugs and didn't know it, and neither my friend who came to my house, nor my roommates at the various conference hotels, got bed bugs--even though I hadn't followed those protocols because I didn't know about them.

Well, my friend who helped with prep did because I knew about them. My roommates at the hotels didn't because I didn't realize I had bed bugs.

My point is that you should follow the protocols in those FAQs because they will substantially reduce your chances of having a bed bug infestation.

But as my personal story proves, just being exposed to bed bugs is no guarantee that you will get your own infestation.

Be smart; take precautions to minimize the chances. At the same time, just being exposed doesn't inevitably mean that you'll also get an infestation--esp. if you take the precautions outlined in those FAQs.

Edited to Fix the Typo: I changed outlines to outlined because those sorts of things bug me. No pun intended.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 6 2011 10:07:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

First thing to do is not panic.

Have a good look through the FAQ's so that you understand the issue.

I would advise that if its confirmed as bedbugs that you limit the risk by saying "play outside only" .

You can them look at inspecting your property either through self inspection, professional inspection, K9 scent detection (with visual confirmation) or monitoring depending on what you feel comfortable with, is available in your area or what meets your budget.

Bedbug problems are a lot easier to deal with if caught quickly and before they start to spread through the property.

You cant go wrong with learning about the issue and options and then drawing up your informed action plan.

Hopefully it will not have been transferred home though.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

PS Edited to say good advice posted while I was typing but start with the FAQ's.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

"Open minds find faster solutions"

"Astral Entomologist - because so many people say my ideas are out of this world"

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,117 posts in 31,020 topics over 94 months by 13,443 of 20,849 members. Latest: senses123, So Mad, joshc