Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Danger of Storage Unit?

(5 posts)
  1. Lizzeepp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 11:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,
    Luckily, I've never had bed bugs. However, I put my mattress and headboard (which has a fabric back) in storage in Bethesda Maryland about 6 months a go. In the rush, the two items were not covered very well (they have plastic but weren't 100% sealed). Am I at risk for getting bed bugs? I'm now scared to bring the items into my new home. I haven't found any info on google about the risks of storage units.
    Thanks

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 12:05:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, actually, sitting in the storage unit, there would be nothing to attract bed bugs to the mattress. If a person were in the bed, then bed bugs would probably come out from other stored items and flock to it. Without any people to be attracted to, storage bed bugs might stay put in their own original items.

HOWEVER, you should realize that moving trucks, and storage facilities do harbor bed bugs. People get them from trucks and/or moving blankets.

A close visual inspection, bagging in secure plastic before leaving the facility and encasement in a secure bed bug encasing before you come home are the minimum of what you should do, in my opinion. Also, don't assume other items are secure. Bed bugs can theoretically hitch a ride in anything.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Lizzeepp

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 12:24:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,
    Thank you for the response. That makes me less worried but still worried. Haha. A question, and I apologize if this is all over the forum, any suggestions on taking precautions as I move items back into my apartment? Is there anything I should spray them with?
    Thanks.

4. Bugalina

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Aug 23 2007 12:53:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Lizzeepp....I put things, in storage units during my infestation...most of the items I shrink wrapped and/or plastic wrapped into plastic bins...etc...I took great precautions...but somethings I could not wrap...like larger pcs. of furniture. I tell you this because I want to validate your concerns...They are not irrational fear. Bed bugs can live a long time without taking a blood meal...they seek out warm places to harbor in...In the very remotest of possibilities...VERY REMOTE...a lone cold bed bug could have found the warmth of your mattress and dug in...( if lets say someone who stored infested stuff took the unit next to you ) I am not saying this to scare you...I am saying this to make you aware that you should take all possible precautions....Buy a bed bug encasement for you mattress, upon taking it out of the storage unit, spray it down with Bedlam or Kleen Free or whatever you prefer but spray it down and before you bring it into your apt. put it into the encasement...a high quality encasement...do the same with a boxspring if you stored that as well....With all your other belongings check them thoroughly in as brite a lite as possible...spray and clean whatever you can...Before my bed bug infestation I came upon a young couple who were outside of the storage facility taking their belongings apart....they said that roaches had gotten into their things....I questioned the management about this and they said yes, unfortunately someone had stored foodstuffs in their unit and the roaches thrived ( the person who stored foodstuffs was evicted but not before the damage was done )...in other words, be very careful when reintroducing things that have been in public storage....an ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure..

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Nov 8 2009 0:05:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 2 years ago  » 
    Well, actually, sitting in the storage unit, there would be nothing to attract bed bugs to the mattress. If a person were in the bed, then bed bugs would probably come out from other stored items and flock to it. Without any people to be attracted to, storage bed bugs might stay put in their own original items.

But might they not flee some disturbance (or a recent "traumatic insemination") and just happen to lodge in your stuff?

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day; Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday. A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,068 posts in 29,393 topics over 90 months by 12,675 of 19,934 members. Latest: Scott, bb225nyc, crazyoncape