crossing the residual

(8 posts)
  1. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 18:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

To kill bed bugs that a contact spray did not hit directly, you have to depend on the bed bug crossing a residual. Typically the residual is on the baseboards and on cracks in the furniture. One PCO told me there is no residual they can put on a cheap metal bed frame that will stick. I have no head board or anything else. I have encased my mattress and box spring.

To be honest, this doesn't leave me with a very confident feeling. Unless I can leave a residual barrier around my bed, I'm not confident they will crawl in a spot with residuals.

There are bed bug behaviors. But it would seem that it's always broken.

2. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 18:59:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I treated my metal bed frame with DE. I'm ambivalent about DE because, while I used it extensively, I don't think it did the job for me. The PCO sprayed the frame too. In the end, on the last visit, I think they sprayed it much more liberally. It was the last visit, so who knows what finally got them.

You should discuss this with your PCO or find another one, really. What exactly is that PCO recommending?

The final option is to re-attempt to isolate the bed. Clean the frame, make sure the encasements are clean and intact, and isolate with redundant barriers (i.e., not just double-sided tape, for example).

I don't think there's reason for despair. I had a metal frame and a non-isolated bed and I made it. Why not you?

3. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 22:07:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopelessnomore, thanks for the support.

Let's hope 3rd time is the charm -- third treatment. Much of the web literature points to 3 treatments being the most common before there is elimination.

I know I'm more then preoccupied with getting rid of these things. I know I'm sounding like a recording.

4. Bites44

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 22:40:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I also treated my new metal frame with a dusting of DE along the metal. I placed vaseline on the legs and rollers, then I placed the legs into plastic bowls of oil. As well I got thin pieces of carboard, about 8 by 11, and laid carpet tape all around the perimeter. The plastic bowls were then placed on the cardboard. Any bug trying to get on the bed has to cross the sticky tape first, then navigate a bowl of oil, then through some vaseline. I did not trust the vaseline by itself.

I am sure that they cannot get through the carpet tape, as it is very sticky. However, any bug trapped in the bed can now not get out. So there you go. But I get a better sleep that way, and never worry once I put on clean clothes out of the bag, wash my feet and jump into bed.

I also dusted the top of the box spring cover with DE, and the sides of the cover, very lightly and wearing a mask of course. I am hoping that the DE treatment works. There are some researchers that say it does, and one of those is Sean at Bedbug Resource.

One thing I am not sure about is how long it takes for DE to kill a bug.

Nomorebugs, I surely hope you are successful with that third treatment. Good luck.

5. kraystone

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 22:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

hopelessnomo: Same here! PCO was more liberal for the last treatment because I see the white spray marks on the floor and under my furniture.

nomorebugs: Yeah I get the bites till 3rd treatment. Had them for about 2.5 months I guess. Good luck with the treatment!

Actually I'm not sure if an itchy spot I have now on my toe is from a bug or from wearing a pair of shoes I seldom wear. By right, it shouldn't be from bed bugs because that spot started to itch when I was outside at an outlet doing shopping and wearing socks. It didn't itch for 5 days until I wore the same pair of shoes to a birthday dinner. Then it itch like mad later... maybe it's just sensitive skin?... mmm hard to tell now... I keep looking at my toe but it seem to itch when I do that... paranoid...

6. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Dec 3 2007 23:55:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Kray,

I hope it all goes well for you. It does sound like it's the shoe. It's really hard not to be paranoid. But you are superhuman in being positive.

7. Anonymous

Unregistered

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2007 0:13:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh no, Kraystone. It's probably the shoes but you should, I don't know, inspect them just in case.

Being obsessive when you have bedbugs can be a good thing, nomorebugs. Helps you get things done and done well at that. And even if it isn't completely healthy, it's a temporary thing and it comes with the territory. And, yes, two treatments would be almost unbelievably lucky in my book. Get that third treatment right away, though, no more delay, just call the original PCO if you must, but waiting is worse than anything.

8. nomorebugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Dec 4 2007 2:18:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again hopelessnomo,

You know, I should have chosen a better name. Man was I in a rush to participate, to ask questions.

We did call the first PCO, we have a 60 day guarantee. He honored it for the second treatment. I doubt if he will honor it for a third. Not that I entirely blame him. Unless I find a infestation, it's a bit subjective when you suspect you still have BBs because of these ... (suspicious pink spots for me). It's like trust me ... but my suspicions are logical. Trust me

I'm willing to pay for a re-treatment, it's still cheaper then a new PCO who'll mostly do the same thing, but probably and only marginally better. The potential new PCO was nice though. He knew I did my research as I knew the stuff he was using. And even agreed with some points I made. He said he was sorry we had bed bugs and said he'd personally push the first PCO to honor the guarantee.

All of the PCO's I've talked to personally have been nice. There are no easy answers. Maybe the easy answer to go all out and do everything. That takes the wherewithall and more time than many people can dedicate to it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.