Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Crawling on your skin

(27 posts)
  1. itchycrawlygoingcrazy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 15:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Quick poll: How many of you feel "crawlies" on your skin? Under your clothes? Even if you clothes are straight out of the very very hot dryer?

Do you see anything? Because I don't!!

Yours truly,
    itchy crawly going crazy .....!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 15:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I think this is fairly common.

We don't know a lot about bed bug bites, but a lot of people report feeling crawling sensations, looking, and seeing nothing on their skin at the time. I suspect that it is part of the allergic response to bed bug bites that occurred earlier (we do know allergic responses vary greatly from one person to another.)

You might want to read this thread.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 16:00:52
    #

Login to Send PM

ps I am assuming that you have a verified case of bed bugs. Do you only not see them at the times you describe the creepy crawly feelings? Or have you not seen any bed bug evidence in your home? If the latter, you will need to find some evidence, to be pretty certain bed bugs are the cause.

4. itchycrawlygoingcrazy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 16:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks so much nobugsonme ... for this and this site! You are our bed bug warrior! lol

I have had bed bugs for almost 6 months (well that I know of). Last week I moved into a new apartment after I found that it was mainly my roommate that was the bed bug problem but he was not being bit, only me! I have had sprays in the old apartment and I have Packtited almost everything I own, but I woke up with a couple bites, and as we speak two have just sprung up on my face.

I have yet to see an actual bug here in the new apartment (we're sleeping on an air mattress). I will have another sleepless night tonight with my flashlight.

I thought it was all over!!

I just find it strange that literally straight out of the dryer it's very crawly!

On to read the thread...thanks again!!

5. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 16:23:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel them right now, on my knee. Maybe I feel the blood vessels under my skin.

6. Koebner

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 20:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok, you know what to do to find BB evidence (& it's not sitting up all night with a flashlight - that will make you mad, trust me) & what to do if there is evidence, so I'll throw in a few other options for your consideration.

Don't forget to deploy a flea trap before you get too stressed - you never know if a former tenant has had pets, no matter what the lease says.

Clothes fresh from a hot drier have a lot of static. This will attract & tug on the fine hairs on your body which may give you a "crawling" sensation on your skin. High static environments are also more likely to bring you into contact with any carpet beetle larvae hairs that may be lying around, which can cause bite-like skin irritation for some people. If it's very dry in your new place, try humidifying the atmosphere & see if that brings you any relief.

There's no hard clinical data I know of hold to this up, but it does seem that BBs have the ability to make some people more sensitive to other irritants & allergens at least for a while after an infestation has been cleared/ escaped.

Also, don't underestimate the ability of the body to play out anxiety on your skin. Eczema, psoriasis, urticaria & a number of other skin problems can all be aggravated or even triggered by stress. So sleep as well as you can, do some breathing exercises, & stop monitoring yourself for itches & bumps. Make a note of where any lumps or hives occur & then try to forget about them as much as you can (I know, I know; easy to say but still, give it your best shot). The more stressed you are, the more likely you are to itch & break out.

7. healthimpacted

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 4 2011 23:24:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Just reading this thread did it to me, which shows how powerful the mind is.

8. itchycrawlygoingcrazy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 6:34:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Koebner...thank you. I read this last night when I got into bed (far too tired from lack of sleep the previous night to reply) and your words comforted me so much. I actually dreamt about dream you telling me I didn't have bed bugs! lol (still crazy I see..yup! )

I woke up once because I felt something, unlike a bed bug really, on my foot. Checked and of course nothing was there. Think my tootsies just need some TLC.

The static bit made me go...uh duh! I will be moisturising and getting the humidifier out of the ziploc!

So although I will still be vigilant...I will not let this ordeal overtake me! I'm so happy to be a part of this site and I hope that in the future, when bed bugs know not to mess with me, I can ease someone's troubled lil head.

Thank you...keep doing what you're doing..it's greatly appreciated!! x

9. NJ-BITES

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 10:54:14
    #

Login to Send PM

itchycrawlygoingcrazy - 19 hours ago  » 
    Quick poll: How many of you feel "crawlies" on your skin? Under your clothes? Even if you clothes are straight out of the very very hot dryer?
    Do you see anything? Because I don't!!
    Yours truly,
    itchy crawly going crazy .....!!

Same!!! I feel 'tiny' bites also but don't see anything -shivers-
    Like...
    I am watching TV or something and I feel something actively biting me on my arm. I look closely and there is nothing there.

Yes' I checked for body lice.

I did read somewhere that.
    BBs can carry smaller insects that do burro into your skin.
    ?Is that true? O_O

10. itchycrawlygoingcrazy

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 12:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

That is exactly what I feel!! It's awful! And I, too, do not see anything!

I hope it's not true that they carry smaller insects, that's crazy! Like they can't get any worse right?!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 13:37:56
    #

Login to Send PM

NJ-BITES - 2 hours ago  » 

I did read somewhere that.
    BBs can carry smaller insects that do burro into your skin.
    ?Is that true? O_O

I do not think so.

12. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 13:48:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Those sound like scabies, which AFAIK are unrelated to BB.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 13:55:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes people on bed bug forums talk about something burrowing into their skin, but it's pretty clear they have a different problem.

14. tryingtostaysane

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:06:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been bite and sign free for over a month (knock on wood). I still feel itchy every day.
    Every time anything brushes against my skin my first reaction is to itch. Sometimes it takes multiple times repeating to myself "you just scraped your elbow. you feel it. your skin is irritated. but it is not a bite. it is not a welt. you are just highly sensitized. it is okay." And it is. But I still stare at my skin and itch like a crazy person when there's nothing there. And I probably will for some time to come...
    The mind is a powerful thing, indeed. Our emotions and mental health have taken a huge hit. We are sleep-deprived and paranoid and worry that this ordeal will never end. But with each day that goes by when I have no bites and find no evidence, the light at the end of the tunnel gets a little brighter. We'll get through it!

15. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:08:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, if it is from bedbugs, I think this crawling sensation only lasts a couple of weeks. Most people who mention it seemed to be saying that it happens in the beginning, but they don't say much more about it later on. Not a scientist, but I always assumed it was the body's response to something it never encountered before--whatever it is the bugs inject into us to do their thing. I assumed the crawling thing goes away, for the same reason that later bites are often less noticeable. You know, like the human body learns how to deal with this hitherto-unknown invader. So the "side effects" fade away.

Just a hunch. I really don't know anything:)

16. Bblock

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 14:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I recently published a blog article about Delusional parasitosis, also known as Ekbom Syndrome. It's a medically acknowledged form of psychosis that creates a belief that the victim is infested with some type of insect or parasite, though no such infestation is present.
    Not to say that anyone here suffers from this, however, I did learn a lot of interesting information when researching this. It is common the the delusional parasitosis is not caused by a psychosis, but rather an allergic reaction to things such as fabric softener, perfume, etc., or an entirely different disease.
    Try to identify an infestation, and if none can be found, consider seeing your doctor, perhaps it is an entirely different type of problem.

17. tryingtostaysane

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 15:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

so unsettling - 1 hour ago  » 
    Well, if it is from bedbugs, I think this crawling sensation only lasts a couple of weeks.

hmm, maybe i should clarify.
    i'm talking about an itchy feeling that is not an allergic reaction at all, and not a long term kind of psychosis, but simply the mind playing tricks because of lingering paranoia (which seems pretty common in people who've suffered through bedbugs). i had horrible welts for 3 weeks before i knew what was causing them. and although i've had no signs or symptoms for over a month and am fairly certain i have successfully eradicated the bedbugs (knock wood again), i am still incredibly nervous. in my case i don't think there's a prescribed length of time that it will last. i've been pretty focused on hitting my 55 day mark, so maybe that will be my magic comfort number either way, i presume the longer i am bb-free and the more confident i become about it, the more my mind will let my skin relax.

18. bedbugcrazydelusional

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 15:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

From my thread I posted on heebie jeebies:
    Update on heebie jeebies. I'm not 100% sure I'm BB free in new apt yet but the heebie jeebies tingly crawling sensation has gone away since moving out. Def had to be a reaction to possibly DE ? & pesticides being used :

NyGuard (growth regulator), transport (residual) , excited (flusher) & Tempo 1% dust in outlets

But Koebner is right about skin becoming more sensitive after being bit by BBs. My Uticaria resurfaced 2 years ago but it was light. Once a week/month. After BB infestation starting this April my skin has been absolutely going nuts. Since April I have not gone a day without hives. But thank goodness the heebie jeebies subsided & are now completely gone, cause I was going nuts everytime I felt the crawling feeling everywhere, head to toe.

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Aug 5 2011 18:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

so unsettling - 4 hours ago  » 
    Well, if it is from bedbugs, I think this crawling sensation only lasts a couple of weeks. Most people who mention it seemed to be saying that it happens in the beginning, but they don't say much more about it later on.

Not in my experience.

20. LAWoman

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 14 2011 23:19:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Same for me with the crawlie, bitie thing even when I can see that nothing is there. I already had this before the bed bug scare. That just ramped it into overdrive and even now that I've been cleared from having bed bugs, and I know I don't have them I still am getting this. [As she rubs her fingers and scratches ankle nervously]

21. Alberta has bugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2011 0:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Me as well.
    Sometimes feels like something crawling down my legs.
    I have swabbed with IP alcohol before going to sleep to make sure there is not.
    Freaky feeling sometimes but nothing there.
    Weird.

22. EndOfMyRope

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2011 6:22:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I have this ALL the time.. What makes it the most maddening is I always seem to feel the creepy crawlies in spots I CANT REACH ..drives me crazy.. I also have fibromyalgia, so it can really be hell sometimes. Ive become super sensitive to anything touching me, brushing up against things (or vice versa)

23. BugsMustDie

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2011 6:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

EndOfRope,

It's interesting you mention fibromyalgia as this is a condition my doctor is currently monitoring me for.

The crawling sensation medically is called "paresthesia," and there are lots of things that can cause it. I think it has to do with your brain sending inappropriate signals to your nerves.

With me I had a tingling sensations several months ago in my arms and legs - kind of like they were asleep. The doc took a lot of blood and decided a Vitamin D deficiency could be causing it. Lots of vitamin deficiencies can cause paresthesia. - At the time I thought it was stress. - Stress reactions, which I'm sure most of us on here have had at least a time or two, can cause a tingling/crawling sensation.

So then when the bugs came, along with the extreme stress, my skin started to feel like it was on fire and like I was being stung along with itching and crawling sensations. I had been thinking it was an allergic response, but then when I had a K9 come through and did not find anything and the bites seemed to be going away, I decided to see my doc again and now we're back to drawing blood. The frustrating thing is that at the same time, I have terrible acne, random sores and rashes. I thought these were part of my allergic response to the bugs, but as of today, I still have no idea if it's from the bugs or if it's an underlying medical condition.

To put an end to my long story, there are many things that can cause paresthesia - it could be medical - it could be an allergic response - it could be anxiety - or pyschosomatic.... I guess if you're pretty sure the bugs are gone, it may not be a bad idea to go to the doctor and see if there's anything else going on.

24. SandiZan

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 29 2011 21:20:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Since I discovered our bed bugs, I am itchy all the time. The mind is a powerful thing and just thinking about them makes my skin crawl.

25. thunderrider

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 29 2011 23:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello my fellow suffering friends-

So here's the long and short of it- I'm a police officer in Washington DC, and within the past 2 weeks my (until-recently)nice, enjoyable life has spun out of control b/c of an apparent insect invasion of my condo in Alexandria, VA. I have gotten so many conflicting diagnoses(sp?) in terms of my bizzare situation, i have spent so much money, lost over a weeks- worth of sleep, and I'm desperate for a solution: I first thought that I had contracted head lice from responding to some apartment whose tenant(with whom i had unfortunately, unavoidable close contact) hadn't bathed in over 3 months. Almost two weeks ago(about 5 days after being inside that apt. for at least half an hour) I woke up cuz my head was itching really badly and when I looked on my pillow there were tiny red and black dots which appeared to be moving all over my pillow case. Then as the day went on, I started to experience that same itching, unsettled, skin-crawling feeling and began to see very small, but visible brownish/black, round insects crawling across my floors and carpet. A bedbug inspection by Orkin advised negative results for bedbugs, however I find that hard to trust, as the technician completely missed/failed to observe the fact that my entire box-spring was infested with carpet-beetles(at least thats what my buildings' pest tech told me..So I tossed my bed and mattress, was treated with permethrin cream, and cleaned and vaccuumed like i never have before. Then, last thursday, I started to notice small groupings of medium-large, bead-shaped things that were offwhite/yellowish in color. While cleaning, i disturbed one of them with a lint roller and all of a sudden, i felt like i was being stung quickly and aggressively by invisible assailants. In the days to follow, I continued to find these bead-shaped larvae in areas with flat, rough surfaces, especially in the kitchen and on kitchen floor, where all the symetrical spaces between the spaces have that rough semi-indented finish. My dermatologist said it sounds like fleas, at least in terms of the bites/stinging, but I have no pets. My parents(concerned and skeptic about my "invisible pest" situation,) invited me to come stay at home for a while, and just as soon as I started to accept the possibility that odd coincidences and timing may have let my imagination get the best of me, I saw the exact same eggs in the tiles in my parents' kitchen. Before coming here, I did two ful body lice treatments and made certain that the few clothes i brought here were freshly washed and dried at high heat, just so this wouldn't happen. I collected samples and will be turning them over to the Orkin Lab(yes I know, they were incorrect before, but its my only lab-level resource at this point) for examination tmrw. We pierced one of the eggs today(enclosed in a ziplock bag) and that produced a white, creamy-looking substance, like a cross between lotion and tooth paste, with what appeared to be several small dots moving around more as time went on. I think these may be related to the odd-looking creatures I have been seeing since the larvae first appeared-some of these creatures appear to be black and some dark red, and they're crudely shaped like little cut-out paper hearts. If you happen to get this and any of this makes sense, I would so greatly appreciate a response b/c I am getting more and more confused, angry and helpless-feeling.

As I have always been justifiably arachnaphobic(several traumatic incidents with our 8-legged buddies, I am willing to take into consideration that my pre-existing bug phobia(coupled with chronic stress at work and the very unsettling news that I had been sleeping on an infested box-spring for god-knows-how-long..) could cause my mind to trick my body(aka delusional paratosis), but if that were the case, why would i be feeling the bites and/or stings in my car as well? and how come my physical sensations of itching, crawling, etc. started several days before i was even aware of my carpet beetle infestation? also, since discarding the old mattress and box spring, i cleaned my condo inside out, yet i was still seeing clothing and fabric damage..and yesterday at the dry cleaners, a fast, brown insect crawled out from under my sheets when they picked them up- oh, also, my paranoid thoughts were visually and tangibly justified when I turned a sock inside out and saw the following: something that looked like a mosquito except almost transparent in color, very small, yet aggressive, and appearing to be made of lint/same material as the sock..i know how crazy this sounds, but i sent it to an entomolgist friend, who acknowldged it as real, but couldnt ID this friggin thing- any doubting thomas- who wish to see the video, id be happy to send it, just provide me with your e-mail.
    thanks guys, lets all hang in there and try not to let this sh*t ruin/control our lives..we're millions of times larger than that which torments us..

26. Sleepingwithvampbugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 30 2011 21:53:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have the ebbie jebbies to fell my skin crawl and itch maybe its just hairs on my arm settling or nothing at all I find myself always cleaning and expecting. My kids think I'm nuts I suffer from panic attacks and severe anxiety already befor this problem and Its making it worse I can not sleep with out taking my xanax with out being able to relax and not have a panic attach due to this jeans drive me nuts I fell crawling on my legs and the pants are straight from dryer ugh will this ever go way I want to feel normal again

27. katee

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Dec 17 2012 22:25:36
    #

Login to Send PM

The itchy crawly thing is just as bad as the bugs. However, I still get bites from these invisible critters and it is not scabbies. I have used permethrin cream as a process of elimination tryingto figure out what this is and it did nothing. It took so long to finally get a bug person to my house to treat it, that I was afraid it would spread and well...it did. To my car when I went on a long trip from a bag that I think was infested, and to my office. It is the office where I feel most of the crawling. If I switch chairs, it stops briefly but comes back. THIS IS NOT IN YOUR HEADS and don't let anyone tell you it is. I sit by another person who knew nothing about this and she started to complain about feeling things crawling on her too. She isn't getting bitten like I am tho. The pest control company did not follow the 3 treatments every 2 weeks, went way off schedule and well.... I still have a problem at my house and the crawly feeling continues. Also, my boyfriend, who I also know has BBs in his house so I'm VERY careful if I go there and throw my stuff in the dryer before I leave... he has the crawly feeling and has had no chemicals yet. All I can say is it is a mystery and they don't obviously know everything about this bug yet.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

200,207 posts in 31,029 topics over 94 months by 13,446 of 20,851 members. Latest: TObedbugs, VinHatesCimex, meddler