#

Login to Send PM

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 16:33:24
    #

Login to Send PM

It looks like a bed bug nymph, but not exactly. The thoracic and abdominal segments look abnormal, but it is a true bug. Maybe something like an anthocorid bug or relative. I'd be interested if you find more specimens.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 16:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI - It's also smaller than a sesame seed. Thanks loubug.

4. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 17:25:19
    #

Login to Send PM

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 17:31:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Bug looks a bit wet? Related to bed bug, but I'd have to say not bed bug.

6. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 10 2017 17:42:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Loubug. It did seem rather shiny.

7. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 9:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Morning Loubugs. Update: Took it down to my Home Paramount guys this am. They confirmed instar bed bug. Getting ready to bag my laptop. I appreciate you looking.

8. Mawiwala

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 10:13:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This reminds me at the minute pirate bug nymph. Especially those eyes. They really look quite similar to bed bugs. Early stages don't have that "snout"

I don't say bed bugs like lou. For a bb nymph it has quite a dark head.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 11:46:13
    #

Login to Send PM

artbean81 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Morning Loubugs. Update: Took it down to my Home Paramount guys this am. They confirmed instar bed bug. Getting ready to bag my laptop. I appreciate you looking.

Sorry, but they're wrong. They don't know insects; please tell them I said that. They will be treating and it will be a misapplication because that is not a bed bug. If you still have the insect, you can send it to me. Anthocorid nymphs have been popping up in homes recently and some people have been bitten (tasted) by them. They are small, predaceous insects and keep tasting new objects or prey.
    Case in point. Here is another bedbugger post regarding the insects:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/bug-id-please-help-19?replies=5#post-272522

--Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

10. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 13:07:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I left the sample there but had the hindsight to ask them to send me the photo of the bug from their scope pic. I'm just waiting to get that email but I'll post when I do. I just figured my photos I took were not so good but I'll wait to hear what you think.

They also are coming out to inspect tomorrow, said they most likely won't find anything but to be vigilant. They also said they could spray as a preventative... $900... But that it isn't necessary at this time.

Thanks Loubugs

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 13:21:45
    #

Login to Send PM

artbean81 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    I left the sample there but had the hindsight to ask them to send me the photo of the bug from their scope pic. I'm just waiting to get that email but I'll post when I do. I just figured my photos I took were not so good but I'll wait to hear what you think.
    They also are coming out to inspect tomorrow, said they most likely won't find anything but to be vigilant. They also said they could spray as a preventative... $900... But that it isn't necessary at this time.
    Thanks Loubugs

Since there is no bed bug to find (based on specimen) in your home and there is no reason (infested apartment neighbors) that I'm aware of to warrant any preventative spray (what is used?), then it will be interesting to see what their microscope image will reveal.

12. Mawiwala

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 14:56:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Here is a nice picture of one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/77849983@N00/3736543212

Just look at those pointy eyes. Just like in your first picture. I would safe the 900$.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Tue Jul 11 2017 17:16:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 2 hours ago  » 
    Just look at those pointy eyes. Just like in your first picture. I would safe the 900$.

Exactly. Now if the PCO/PMP thinks this one is a bed bug nymph, how many previous anthocorids were misidentified and bed bug remediation was undertaken. Of course when treatment finished they were told there wouldn't be any bed bugs now. And there aren't (never were).
    In my classes, I stress that you can't try to fit the unknown into a pest slot because you are only consulting a pest control reference manual.

14. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 8:56:43
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 19 hours ago  » 

Thanks Loubugs

Since there is no bed bug to find (based on specimen) in your home and there is no reason (infested apartment neighbors) that I'm aware of to warrant any preventative spray (what is used?), then it will be interesting to see what their microscope image will reveal.

Honestly Loubugs, yor advice is about the only thing keeping me composed at the moment. Unfortunately, Home Paramount did not keep the photo or the sample.

They are coming out today to do a free inspection on my boyfriend's house and mine tomorrow since we were on the same trip.

Lastly, this is the reply I got when I asked about sprays. "As for chemical, we use slot of different things. It kinda varies, each technician likes different mixes. However, one common mix is phantom, exciter, and an IGR like control."

Thank you again. It's a little disconcerting when five inspectors are standing in front of a screen scope and they're all saying, "Yep, bed bug." Frustrating.

15. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 8:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 18 hours ago  » 

Thank you Mawiwala. I have been reading what you posted but I didn't want to keep unnecessarily bumping my post to the top until I had more info. My bug guys threw my sample away and the scope picture but are coming for a free inspection today. Thank you for your advice and time replying to my thread.

16. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 12 2017 13:20:11
    #

Login to Send PM

artbean81 - 4 hours ago  » 

Thanks Loubugs

Honestly Loubugs, yor advice is about the only thing keeping me composed at the moment. Unfortunately, Home Paramount did not keep the photo or the sample.
    They are coming out today to do a free inspection on my boyfriend's house and mine tomorrow since we were on the same trip.
    Lastly, this is the reply I got when I asked about sprays. "As for chemical, we use slot of different things. It kinda varies, each technician likes different mixes. However, one common mix is phantom, exciter, and an IGR like control."
    Thank you again. It's a little disconcerting when five inspectors are standing in front of a screen scope and they're all saying, "Yep, bed bug." Frustrating.

5 inspectors are wrong. That's scary. IGR (such as Gentrol) is not recommended because doesn't work at label rates and is not allowable at (much) higher rates. Who erases digital photomicrographs? Now no physical evidence - Convenient for them. Your pictures are digital evidence.

17. artbean81

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 12:01:05
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 22 hours ago  » 

artbean81 - 4 hours ago  » 

Thanks Loubugs

5 inspectors are wrong. That's scary. IGR (such as Gentrol) is not recommended because doesn't work at label rates and is not allowable at (much) higher rates. Who erases digital photomicrographs? Now no physical evidence - Convenient for them. Your pictures are digital evidence.

Lou, thank you. I'm going to listen to the man who "maintains several thousand bed bugs" and relax my crazy self. I appreciate you taking the time to give advice to all of us here on the forum. Next time I have a sample, I'd be more than happy to send it your way (although I'm sure your wife would be none to happy to see your collection grow- bless her! Lol)!

18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 14 2017 8:31:04
    #

Login to Send PM

A man brought in a bug that was on him as he was sitting in the park. It was an adult (Orius insidiosus) of the anthocorid bug nymph that's been referenced in this post. A bug on his arm didn't cause alarm, but the bug bit him and another on his other arm also bit him. When these bite they insert the stylets into their prey, but in this case into the skin. That's just their behavior, sort of taste what they're on. No one has let any stay on to see if the bug realizes it's not feeding on a small insect or mite and stop feeding. Common prey items are aphids, thrips and small caterpillars. Good bio control agents.

19. artbean81

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Aug 8 2017 21:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou and Mawiwala,

So just thought you would find my update interesting (or not since you called it anyway.) I brought some dill in from the yard to make pickles. It was from the same area that I gathered some for my bouquet of flowers one month ago, aka discovery of the "questionable bug" time... I was scrutinizing the seed heads to ensure that I didn't pickle any swallow tail caterpillars and guess what I found?! I found another of the exact same bug in the photos above! I know Lou... You are the bug man!

Lou drops mic and exits stage left.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,595 posts in 43,278 topics over 130 months by 18,982 of 19,560 members. Latest: Koonspg4s, slynnp1, bkb