Could Two Treatments Really Be It?

(8 posts)
  1. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 3:59:50
    #

Login to Send PM

So I live in a hotbed of bedbug activity, 5th worst in the nation last I heard (Cleveland-Akron area) and just had my second treatment. Given the sheer amount of infestations out here, and I do mean it's considered an epidemic. Places close down. I see posts about movie theaters and stuff having bedbugs on my Facebook timeline from random people who don't know I have these. But, given that, I do assume most if not all PCOs out here probably are at the least familiar with bedbugs. This guy seemed to be quite familiar with them and claims to work with them daily. I was surprised, as I have a bit of a slumlord landlord who is usually very cheap. Anyway, after the first treatment, the PCO told me I'd likely see even more bugs, but they'd be dead or dying more than not. This turned out to be true - I saw about 20 dead bugs and killed about 15 in the two weeks between treatments. Two gallons of Temprid was used, along with Gentrol, thoroughly in every room in my home. My bed was especially treated, as it was the nest found. They told me they'd be out to treat in two weeks.

For the second treatment, 15 days later, the same PCO told me he would be treating that day, and then inspecting the next time he visited as opposed to treating a third time, unless the inspection turned up signs of bedbugs. He told me I should not see anything else as far as he estimates after this treatment. Two gallons of Temprid were again applied with Gentrol in every room in my home with particular focus in my bedroom and on/in my bed. I haven't slept since i have had these other than in the daytime, so I stay up and fight them at night. I have seen bugs every night but one before this second treatment, but I have not seen one since and it's been 3 whole days now.

I obviously know I am nowhere near in the clear - not asking that. I am just curious - is it even possible that two treatments with the aforementined pesticides COULD wipe out an infestation 100%? Or do we need to fight for a third treatment? My roommate and I both want a third treatment, as he has OCD, and I have panic disorder. Neither of us are mentally OK in this situation and we both live in poverty, so we need to make sure this is all 100% handled in one go. I just wanna know if there's even a reasonable chance I might not need to fight them if neither I nor the PCO finds evidence within the two weeks up to his inspection and the inspection. Are we right for being insistent on a third treatment regardless? Or are there really guys out there who get SO used to dealing with bedbugs (a PCO in an area like mine who admittedly deals with BBs at least daily) that treating a rather mild infestation with two pesticide applications alone might be the norm for them? He seemed to just expect it, and so far he's seemed quite experienced at this. This does not go with what I have read about pesticides on here, though - although Gentrol and Temprid do seem to get great reviews in general.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but that's where I am now - could this guy really be that good with the pesticides? Or should we fight for a thrid treatment? Or both? I want treated again even if there is a chance he got everything Thursday - however, if that's fauly thinking, i'd love to hear about it. Last things: Is it safe to assume a guy in an area like this one who presents himself that way is really... qualified for bedbug eradication, as I am inclined to believe? Or do the things I've said lead anyone to believe he may just be a cheap option for my landlord? Also, I have not done anything up until now but vacuum, launder, keep everything in my room in bags sealed and nothing else. Should I encase my bed or take other precautions after the inspection - or by then if I see no signs looking like a hawk and he sees none, can I actually go back to normal and get to my vehicle treatment? I dunno if it's infested yet or how to tell. Thanks everyone.I am sincerely hoping this is over or close.

2. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun May 14 2017 4:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I forgot to mention - I saw MANY dead bugs after the first treatment when I vacuumed before putting my bed back together immediately after treatment when I could enter my home. This time, I did not see a single bug at all in my vacuuming - I did not see one single dead bug anywhere after the second treatment, and definitely not a living one. I've not been bitten since, either. If any of that is pertinent, i didn't wanna leave it out.

3. Livingagain

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 8:31:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Temprid is a good pesticide. Some bugs are developing resistance to it, but not all, you may luck out. Many PCO's use Gentrol, but it isn't effective against bed bugs. (Just try to convince your PCO of that... ) It's possible that it could work in two visits, but seeing the accounts I see here makes me skeptical. You can ask your PCO if you can follow up with spreading Cimexa in all the cracks and crevices, underneath the mattress, around bed legs, etc., anywhere they would have to cross to get to you. But don't put it where you would end up touching it, because it's very drying. There are places online that give instructions about applying. Good luck, hopefully you are in the clear already!

4. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 14:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 5 hours ago  » 
    Temprid is a good pesticide. Some bugs are developing resistance to it, but not all, you may luck out. Many PCO's use Gentrol, but it isn't effective against bed bugs. (Just try to convince your PCO of that... ) It's possible that it could work in two visits, but seeing the accounts I see here makes me skeptical. You can ask your PCO if you can follow up with spreading Cimexa in all the cracks and crevices, underneath the mattress, around bed legs, etc., anywhere they would have to cross to get to you. But don't put it where you would end up touching it, because it's very drying. There are places online that give instructions about applying. Good luck, hopefully you are in the clear already!

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly how I feel - skeptical. The only things that makes me question that skepticism are the fact that I do not sleep - quite literally. I only sleep well after peak hours have ended, and from 2am to 6am I am ALWAYS awake in my bed, watching vigilantly. I have personally contact killed a bug every single night at least once from the beginning of this infestation, all the way up to the second treatment. My PCO was very clear that after the first treatment I'd see more bugs, not less, and I did. And he just as matter-of-factly stated I absolutely should not see any bugs after the second treatment, and that barring any unforseen issues, the next follow-up should only include inspection, not treatment unless needed. So far I've been up the past four nights and I haven't seen a single bug, egg, cast skin, fecal, or experienced a bite - also, when I entered the home after treatment one, there were dead bugs all over the room with the infestation. I did not see a single dead one even since the second treatment - including immediately after when vacuuming and re-assembling my room.

I know people say it's uncommon to even see the bugs during a light infestation, which this is - I was seeing and contact killing them every single night, now nothing. Is it likely that the second treatment just reduced the population so significantly that I am no longer seeing them? Or would someone who is SO extreme in their monitoring/paranoa/contact kiling have likely noticed something by now? That's the one thing I cannoy logically figure out, and so I am hoping that in lieu of logic, experience may help guide me there. It all boils down to my one real question, in the end:

Should I push for a third treatment even if no evidence calls for it, or if I see no evidence, and PCO inspection confirms that finding - could it it conceivably really be over this quickly? That's what I need to figure out - not whether I am in the clear, but whether I need to figure out a way to get third treatment before the PCO gives this place the "all clear", as I absolutely cannot afford to pay a second time, and I absolutely need these pests 100% eradicated. Thanks much for reading and responding to my paranoia - this site may save the bit of sanity I have left.

5. OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri May 26 2017 15:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: No signs during the two weeks between treatment two and inspection whatsoever. Thorough inspection was done by PCO with LED light and revealed several very dead bugs that I missed with my vacuum. He found them incredibly quickly and mentioned something to the effect of being used to looking for them, as they are hard to see, and we have a BAD problem in my area (#5 metro area iirc, Cleveland-Akron). apparently, they do mostly bedbug treatments simply due to demand. He looked all over my bed, all through baseboards all over the house, and then pointed the lights to the ceilings and went thoroughly over my home's ceilings. Both adjoining units were inspected and deemed totally BB free. He explained to me that the reason for checking ceilings was that with NO signs of live BBs on the floor, the next pattern is scattering up.. There's nothing anywhere, high or low. He definitely didn't seem to be rushing to me, and I was impressed with how quick he spotted the dead ones. That definitely made me feel positive towards the idea that he would be competent to see signs if there were signs to see. He cleared the property and told me I'm 100% fine to go back to normal life - bu he said that he could NOT infer anything about how we packed. He said we could easily reinfest and change that if we had packed up BBs and such, so he told us to be VERY cautious unpacking. He said we are fine to have guests over, put clothes back in drawers, stop drying things extra, etc. I guess we caught it very very early - the first treatment seemed to have killed them mostly, the second was armaggeddon. Does all of this sound right? I definitely felt like he was genuinely looking for them, but I would love to hear from some people on here whether this sounds right or rushed. I think this is over, but knowing this sounds like "it's over" type stuff would be great.

6. Livingagain

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat May 27 2017 16:17:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Wow, I hope it really is all over for you guys! Sounds like a skilled guy! I hope you'll keep us updated.

7. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 29 2017 1:47:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello OnlyKnowsAndroidBugs,
    Hopefully that's the end of the bbs for you! I can't answer your question in regards to two treatments, unfortunately. I am not an expert, just a "dealer-wither", however, I still recommend encasing mattresses, boxsprings and pillows, just in case. Not just for this particular instance, but for potential future crises as well. It may seem like going overboard, but a little bit of protection now goes a long way. Have you done at least bowls or double sided tape under/around your bed legs, as well? You don't have to spend $40 on a set of 4 interceptor bowls per bed. Just go to the dollar store or Walmart and get sturdy, smooth plastic bowls. I actually found some for very cheap that are super smooth and very angled, so they would have an extra difficult time climbing up! Take a little bit of "above and beyond" (no such thing with bbs, really) measures now to protect yourself. I totally understand the insomnia aspect and paranoia. I slept with sleeves/gloves/pantlegs/socks/hood/bugnet taped when I didn't feel secure. It's better to encase and feel protected, especially if your roommate has such intense anxiety issues and you're both suffering from mental strain from this. Just feeling protected goes a very long way (trust me, I also suffer from anxiety, let alone from the thought of a bb population living underneath me!). It will help ease the anxiety and other mental symptoms knowing you have taken extra steps to protect yourselves!
    Good luck! Hopefully you don't ever see them again!

8. BattleoftheBug

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon May 29 2017 11:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing is--the actual interceptors [I use the ClimbUp brand] do double duty. Not only do they prevent the bugs from climbing up the legs of the bed--they kill them. The bowls you describe won't do that. These interceptors I have are rough on the outside, not slick. That means the BBs can actually get into the interceptors--wherein they promptly loose their footing because the inside is slippery. I put in a little talcum powder for good measure to help dry up the bugs, who die in those interceptors. More dead bugs equals good. There's an ongoing ad for those ClimpUps on this site. I recently purchased a set of four for $16.00 on Amazon.com. More recently I bought another set for the feet of my new futon/couch.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

259,393 posts in 41,725 topics over 126 months by 18,298 of 18,759 members. Latest: SillyMee, PB1109, ImGoingCrazySaveMe