(8 posts)
  1. digdeep

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Feb 8 2017 14:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,

Second topic here, last time you guys put me at ease writing that the (partial) insect (?) I found was not bed bug related and I was glad to hear that.
    As for my 'head bugs' though, these still require some serious extermination. I've been at ease until a foreign friend of mine stayed here for a week or so, months ago (hence my last post about the unidentified non-bed bug). I've been very cautious about his visit here, forced him to stuff pretty much all his luggage in my deep freezer (-45c) for 3+ days, after that I kept his luggage outdoors etc. Anyway, upon his arrival back home (he stayed in hostels etc afterwards) he did catch bed bugs, so I want to eliminate the idea of any possible infestation that he might have brought along during his stay here.

So, about a month ago I bought some brand-new mattresses as well as bed 'base' (frame?) underneath it. This was unrelated to head bugs, just felt like I needed better sleep.

Now I decided to check them, better safe than sorry I figured. I found two dark spots that couldn't be removed by hand/nails. One feels like it is slightly elevated, the other I'm not so sure about. After I made these photos, I tried to rub the spots off with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, which did nothing. I remember reading somewhere that if the spots would have come off, that would eliminate fecal spots, but since they didn't come off I was left to wonder.

The photos are attached below. I've seen pictures of what fecal spots look like, but I found it hard to compare because the sample photos I saw aren't too detailed, showing a bunch of spots rather than a single spot in close-up. Also, the presence of live/dead bugs in some of the photos genuinely upsets me so much that I don't dare seriously looking at them. Bed bugs are far from the end of the world, and I've seen some seriously awful stuff in my life, but these tiny crawlers have affected me by far the most. So please forgive me if I'm just paranoid about this, I really appreciate the help and information here. Just trying to do everything I can to avoid reopening the bed bug chapter (back when we had them, we had FOUR infected homes/appartments, mine, my gf's, my parents, my gf's parents. It took a toll, not just for me, and I'm not gonna have that happen again).

ALSO: I read some interesting things about Bed Bug Blue / the system that supposedly clarifies if a spot is 'just a spot' or if it is due to bed bugs. Is this system sold in Europe too? Or should I import it from Amazon US? Is there anything to bear in mind when importing it? (I suppose it's a 'chemical', is it fine to ship these overseas?)

Photos (click for large)
    First photo, this one caught my attention, made from underneath the bed. This slat is approximately under my shoulder. It feels slightly elevated. Slat is 35mm in width, the spot is ~1.2mm (3/64") in diameter

Same spot, now with bed base against the wall

Did some more scanning and this was the only other spot I found, slat at the feet end. Spot ~ 1mm in diamater

Would any of you happen to know if these spots could be bed-bug related? Surely, wood is a natural product so I'd expect some deformities, but the other base (same model) seems not to have the kind of spots as in these pictures. Also, would I still be able to check these spots with Bed Bug Blue, now that I've rubbed them with a q-tip and alcohol?

2. player

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 4:29:51
    #

Login to Send PM

You can buy BBB from David Cain's site if in U.K./Europe

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 8:23:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

When you zoom in on the images, you can see more detail:

vS4mqRbzoomed by David Cain, on Flickr

eTJ29Nizoomed by David Cain, on Flickr

ZXUgsDizoomed by David Cain, on Flickr

The ones in the best focus show enough detail to see the colour is more brown / red than black / brown as shown in the example images below:

faecaltrace by David Cain, on Flickr

In this case I don't think Blue is needed and would advise that the better options are:

• Education to better know what to look for when traveling - avoidance
    • Passive Monitoring of the home - to make sure nothing has come back on this occassion

The steps you have taken to freeze the luggage are not enough for various reasons. It is a complex process and requires calibration tools to make sure the conditions reach the critical death temperatures for bed bugs and eggs.

We do sell Bed Bug Blue via our home page along with a few other select products that work.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. digdeep

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 15:01:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, good to hear. Being color-blind I hadn't realised the color was off, glad you have a keen eye for that. You're right about the freezer, but it's still better this way than no freezing at all right? I'll keep reading to see how a friend could stay here again, safely.

Thanks!

5. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 15:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I've had an infestation and after reading your comments, if I were you I would purchase a packtite or similar heating device to heat visitors luggage, and interceptor traps for the beds and couches/chairs. And provide large storage bags for them to put stuff in. Making guests feel welcome and not like they are carrying a disease but at the same time doing things which put your mind at ease.

Account closed
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 20:15:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Poiqm - 4 hours ago  » 
    I've had an infestation and after reading your comments, if I were you I would purchase a packtite or similar heating device to heat visitors luggage, and interceptor traps for the beds and couches/chairs.

Packtites are not available in Europe. AFAIK no bed bug oven type devices are yet.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Feb 9 2017 21:48:16
    #

Login to Send PM

There are no oven type devices available in the EU which have passed our QC testing.

David

8. Poiqm

Account Closed

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Feb 10 2017 1:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, that's too bad. Then I would build one 'cause that's how I roll. Jokes aside, I would build one if I had guests who travel a lot.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

275,895 posts in 45,390 topics over 138 months by 19,945 of 20,704 members. Latest: davebentonn, Therseld1931@armyspy.com, Chivabug