Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Could they JUST be in my walls? (Pic included of PCO identified BB)

(14 posts)
  1. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2014 22:22:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there. I've been lurking around this forum for about a month and a half now, ever since I first suspected my apartment had bed bugs. This is my first time posting, though. I was hoping the experts as well as fellow BB sufferers could weigh in on this:

Can bed bugs live exclusively inside the walls of a building?

The reason I ask is because when I first suspected I had BBs, I called out a PCO and he declared my bed and bedroom to be bed bug free. This was in early July. In all that time, I have never seen a cast skin, fecal stains, or blood stains in, around, or near my bed. I did incur a series of suspicious looking bites on my feet around mid-July, but I haven't had any since.

Then, last Tuesday, I found this guy on my wall by my light switch:

photo (4) by koh_85, on Flickr

Same PCO confirmed it was a bed bug. My first treatment is scheduled for tomorrow.

But I'm just wondering....compared to a lot of the stories I've read on here, I seem to have it pretty easy (no other bites, no signs of the buggers save the specimen, etc.). Is it possible the bugs are living in my walls because they can't get to me (I have ClimbUp Interceptors on my bed as well as my couch in the living room, my bed's away from the wall, I have no bedskirts, etc.)? And if that's true, does that make it harder or easier to treat for them? My entire complex is being treated, but I think they are focusing the most on my unit, since I was the one to find the bug.

Also, and this may be just wishful thinking, but if one of our experts could confirm that that is indeed a BB, it would be helpful. I keep thinking to myself that maybe, just maybe, the problem has been misdiagnosed...

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

2. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 26 2014 22:23:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, I forgot to mention two things:

My mattress and box springs have encasements.

The bug in the picture is approximately 2-3mm long.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 4:41:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Could you get a more detailed (and full-size) image (a flatbed scanner can work if you don't have a good camera)? This would allow experts to rule out bat and bird bugs.

Are there any birds or bats nesting in or on your building?

I wonder if it's possible that an attached neighbor treated (perhaps even in an inappropriate way, e.g. with a bug bomb) and sent bed bugs over. If the bed bug was just introduced, it would not have set up a harborage, or began feeding or defecating.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 5:43:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The image is a beetle not a bedbug.

Stop the treatment and get someone who actually knows what they are doing.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. bedbugtakeover

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 6:28:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't think that looked like a bedbug.

6. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 8:28:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I had a better picture of it so David could be absolutely sure. What a relief it would be if this was all just a nightmare born from my paranoia! Still, I'm not sure I could persuade my apartment complex to call off the treatment. Once the PCO said "it's a bed bug" they got pretty freaked out. Will it harm anything to treat anyway? My cats will be out of the apartment all day until this evening, and I'll be at work so no one will be exposed. The cost is being covered by the property management people as well. I think I'd rather treat and take care of any potential problem, just in case.

Nobugs, I have no idea about the birds/bats but it's possible. My apartment complex is fairly old so it probably has lots of nice places for animals to hide. Are bird/bat bugs more likely to harbor in walls? Like I said, I've never seen a bug in or around my bed or even my couch, just on the wall in my room (and that light switch is on the far side from my bed, even).

7. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 8:31:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh and David I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what you're talking about. Thank you so much for you input. And to you as well, bedbugtakeover. I think we've established that I'm extremely paranoid! Lol

8. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 8:56:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, and here's a picture of the bites on my foot. These were actually discovered around the last weekend in July. Haven't had any bites like this since.

Untitled by koh_85, on Flickr

They are taking an extremely long time to heal. I think I might even have scars, despite not having scratched them that badly, if at all (they never bled or scabbed or anything, and I tried to take care not to touch them). I know everyone reacts differently and it's impossible to ID BBs by bites, but I just wanted you all to have all the information I have. Thanks!

9. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 10:36:16
    #

Login to Send PM

It looked like a beetle to me as well.

skiniscrawling - 2 hours ago  » 
    Still, I'm not sure I could persuade my apartment complex to call off the treatment. Once the PCO said "it's a bed bug" they got pretty freaked out. Will it harm anything to treat anyway?

In one way, it's a good thing that they got pretty freaked out. It means they care. However, if you still have the bug, I would suggest getting it professionally id'd by an entomologist (your local university may have a department), and then giving your apartment complex the results. That would show them that they may want to consider a different PCO in the future, as the one that they hired obviously is not competent in bed bug identification, and thus probably not so good at treatment either.

10. skiniscrawling

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 31 2014 20:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all. So I just wanted to provide a quick update on my situation as well as post another picture for an ID. On Wednesday the PCO came out and treated my whole apartment complex. I'm scheduled for another one this Thursday and then a final treatment Friday of the following week. I'm pretty sure they sprayed inside the outlets/wall sockets, given that the big we found was next to the light switch. But ever since David cast a shade of doubt that the bug I found even WAS a bedbug, now I'm not even sure what I'm dealing with.

I assumed that spraying would help kill off any unwanted pests, BBs or otherwise (I have seen several brown recluse spiders since moving in, for instance). However, just now I found this little guy crawling around on my arm:

photo (5) by koh_85, on Flickr

Does anyone have any idea what it is? Sorry the picture is so blurry; I only have a smart phone camera. As you can see, it's extremely small. Very, very dark black and almond shaped. I have no idea how many legs it has. Slapped it around a bit before I managed to stun it so I may have damaged the shape somehow. I don't think it was biting me or trying to bite; just crawling around and generally being a nuisance to pin down.

11. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2014 10:00:55
    #

Login to Send PM

NOT an expert, but the color and shape seem off for a bed bug.

Bumping for a hopeful expert ID.

12. TiredConcerned

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2014 11:04:46
    #

Login to Send PM

That is interesting. Initially when I moved into my apartment, I found an identical looking bug to your first pic and wondered if it were a bed bug. I did not save it. I'm learning that placing suspect bugs in a clear zip loc is a good idea.

If you get a second ID on that bug, I'd be interested to know. Keep us posted.

13. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Sep 2 2014 11:35:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi skiniscrawling,

Be be clear i am 100% sure its a beetle and not a bedbug. I just cant tell you what beetle, although carpet beetle would be the most likely.

The new image is not clear enough but its again not a bedbug based on the shape as indicated by the reflection on the surface (basically I can tell its too rounded to be bedbug).

So far its nothing to show bedbugs and possibly looking into the carpet beetle information is the next step.

David

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Sep 3 2014 0:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

skiniscrawling - 6 days ago  » 

Nobugs, I have no idea about the birds/bats but it's possible. My apartment complex is fairly old so it probably has lots of nice places for animals to hide. Are bird/bat bugs more likely to harbor in walls? Like I said, I've never seen a bug in or around my bed or even my couch, just on the wall in my room (and that light switch is on the far side from my bed, even).

David's ID completely negates the need to go down this road (bat bugs/bird bugs). He's the expert.

The second image doesn't look anything like a bed bug.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,613 posts in 45,832 topics over 139 months by 20,182 of 20,985 members. Latest: bbuganxiety, Paseorent, allspiceberry143