Could these be bird mites? [a: house fly mites]

(16 posts)
  1. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 15:13:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi
    Found these mites? On a bedroom window sill and wondered if they could be bird mites. They were dead and about 15 of them. I have a theory..... I thought they may be dead as I had sprayed fly spray to kill some flies. I have just now seen on the internet that there are such things as house fly mites!! Could it be those instead of bird mites? An ID would be appreciated. Many thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141671373@N07/shares/m87Hec

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 17:15:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi
    Found these mites? On a bedroom window sill and wondered if they could be bird mites. They were dead and about 15 of them. I have a theory..... I thought they may be dead as I had sprayed fly spray to kill some flies. I have just now seen on the internet that there are such things as house fly mites!! Could it be those instead of bird mites? An ID would be appreciated. Many thanks

Bird mites aren't as sclerotized as are these mites. Mites look like those phoretic on house flies.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Oct 4 2017 17:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 34 minutes ago  » 

Hi

Bird mites aren't as sclerotized as are these mites. Mites look like those phoretic on house flies.

Thank you Lou. Will have to look up the definition of some of those words! Being a bit thick, but are u saying that these are indeed house fly mites? If so will these bite humans? We get an awful lot of flies living near a farm and wondered if these could be the reason for bite like skin reactions for the past 2 years, and not bedbugs. Are the mites dropping off and feeding on me? Thanks again

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 3:55:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 9 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 34 minutes ago  » 

Hi

Thank you Lou. Will have to look up the definition of some of those words! Being a bit thick, but are u saying that these are indeed house fly mites? If so will these bite humans? We get an awful lot of flies living near a farm and wondered if these could be the reason for bite like skin reactions for the past 2 years, and not bedbugs. Are the mites dropping off and feeding on me? Thanks again

These are not parasitic mites, but are phoretic on the fly. The mites board the fly like we board a plane except they hold onto it and don't go inside. Here's some info:
    "The macrochelid mite, Macrocheles muscaedomesticae, is the most common mite in poultry manure. The reddish-brown mite, slightly less than 1/16 inch in size, feeds on house fly eggs and first-instar larvae. It can consume up to 20 house fly eggs per day. Mites are found on the outermost layer of the manure, particularly at its peak. Macrochelids can cause substantial reductions in house fly numbers, but large mite populations are required for any appreciable impact. "

5. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 9:36:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thankd Lou for the explanation. Well I thought I was finally into something.

So I still think I have bedbugs. Hiding extremely well. This has been driving me insane for 2 years now. Can anyone suggest ways I can find proof? I'm getting what I call bites and I never go for more than 10 days without something somewhere on my body coming up.

I have had David Cains monitor on sofa and bed for many many months - clear! I placed them on my bed after I removed climb ups (as advised) and encased my mattress, which wasn't essential. Could the climb ups have spread them elsewhere to other rooms or areas of bedroom and therefore that's why they arnt wanting to harbour in Davids? However, with The climb ups having been off for over a year, surely bedbugs would have been enticed back to live in bed? I cannot find them if they are!
    My room has many many places that would be ideal for them to hide, but I cannot find anything. Am I looking hard enough and in the right places I don't know? If I can find tiny tiny mites like above I recon I would find something. They could be nesting in the floorboards or walls, I would never see them in there, but that's what I'm thinking. If they are climbing on the bed and back off somewhere else, should I put the climbups back on to see what I can catch?

Would they harbour in a spare room that was used once or twice a year? Would they travel to feed then go back? I ask because I have had bedbug blue give a very strong positive result sending it bright blue in a instant in a spare room from spots on the mattress and curtains, however, this was looked at and I was told it wouldn't be from Bedbugs by David so I had to discount that. This room kept the bedding in that was used in a campervan that transported the suspect item of furniture in the very beginning.
    Surely, by now I would be finding piles of dead skins etc. Or even see some out and about wondering? The only thing I have ever used is DE and put that all around edges of floors and doors etc etc.
    Also, I assume if after 2 years there would be many many bugs. Shouldn't I be getting eaten alive? Surely bedbugs feed at different times to each other. Wouldn't I be getting bites every night. And do bites get worse or do you become more immune to them?

Lots of questions I know, but if anyone has the time to comment, please can they. Thanks

6. Mawiwala

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 10:25:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Two years no sighting. I think there is no bed bug in your home. After two years they should be everywhere. You need to relax.

They don't hide in another room when food is available in another.

7. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 10:57:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala - 13 minutes ago  » 
    Two years no sighting. I think there is no bed bug in your home. After two years they should be everywhere. You need to relax.
    They don't hide in another room when food is available in another.

Thanks for replying. I'm I know what you are saying and I know I sound insane. But there has been the odd thing that makes me believe that it it. One day I'm sure I found an egg stuck to a coat while I was out walking which had been hanging in the hallway. Had no way of securing it until I got home so no proof but I seem to remember it looked just like a bb egg I've seen on line. Also, in first few weeks/month I once felt an intense burning sensation like something was crawling on me and I found a tiny red blob, not clear to the naked eye and at time I didnt have any form of magnification to look closer, which makes me think it was a 1st instar I found. Also damaged from picking it off. Sometimes on the sofa I will get pin prick feeling on body. I get bouts of sneezing and I'm convinced its when a bedbug is on me or near!!
    Then there's the flat red marks on my hand with a minute pinprick in middle. The more raised spots on stomach and under arms that don't itch sometimes and sometimes they do which look exactly like bb bites that leave a tiny bite spot when gone down. Apart from my legs really they can appear anywhere. Some itch some don't. Some form a rash. Some are gone in a few hours. Some are around for days. I'm at a loss.

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 12:03:25
    #

Login to Send PM

No real bed bug evidence and in 2 years you would certainly have it. There's something else going on.

9. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 12:51:16
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 11 minutes ago  » 
    No real bed bug evidence and in 2 years you would certainly have it. There's something else going on.

Thanks Lou. Would I necessarily see it if it the harbourage was in floorboards or in walls? I've looked at furniture in bedroom and can't see any obvious signs. Should I still expect to find them in my bedroom or should I be looking harder outside of this area? If they are not in bedroom what is the chance that they have spread further a field with only a cat and dog to feed off. What I'm getting at is just because I can't find them in the bedroom doesn't mean I don't have them does it?
    As for faecal spots, we have a lot of flies around because of the farm. They drive me insane. I have been put off by Bedbug Blue as it gave such a strong positive and seems like it could be from something else according to David. Seems like fly faecal tests positive. I have been getting a few spots on top of the duvet lately and tested some and they sent the paper blue, not as strong, however, directly above were a couple of flies sat on the ceiling. Clearly the culprits of the marks. Think there are photos in my gallery 3 sept.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Oct 5 2017 13:40:29
    #

Login to Send PM

You are trying to find fecal droppings, but in 2 years there would certainly be bed bugs crawling around in open areas. You would have found shed skins and also dead bed bugs.

11. Panicked

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 6 2017 9:42:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Again Lou. I am looking for faecal spots, but it does get confusing when you have a lot of flies in and out. If they have set up home in floor boards or base of walls in the gaps would the faecal spots be hidden or are they likely to deposit on the way back to harbourage where it can be seen easily. I did find a few spots right near junction of wall to ceiling and a massive crack and thought hey presto, perfect for them. Then the Bed bug blue tested negative. Was such a relief! Can u or anyone help with some of the other questions I had in previous posts. Esp about feeding. I'm thinking they are not going to all wait for one another and feed every 1-3 days, so would a person with a fairly established infestation expect to be bit multiple times every night? And can u become immune to them or do they get worse. My other half may be a non reactor and I may have a lot more than I realise with the odd ones showing up obvious signs. I don't have reactions every night but every week. This sounds in my favour from a possible 2 year issue!! Thanks for your time

12. bugshipcrazy

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Oct 6 2017 17:08:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked, I am in the same exact boat. It's been over a year for me. Everyone thinks it's in my head, but we are getting bit for sure.

I used to panic and battle, but now I'm just trying to catch whatever it is is biting us. I just ordered some passive and active monitors. I'm hoping they catch something. The climb ups have produced nothing, and we are still getting bites with them on. I've treated so many times, that I do believe they are in my walls, but every professional I have spoken to about this tells me there is no way. If the bites stopped, I would get over this. But hey haven't. Winter, spring, summer, fall, we are getting bit. What else does this other than a BB? I wish I had the answers!

Feel free to PM me.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Sat Oct 7 2017 8:27:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked & Bugshipcrazy,
    Your reactions can be a result of many things and not necessarily bed bugs. It there's no evidence of bed bugs and a year or more has passed, it seems that you have to find another answer.

14. Panicked

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Oct 10 2017 14:50:40
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 3 days ago  » 
    Panicked & Bugshipcrazy,
    Your reactions can be a result of many things and not necessarily bed bugs. It there's no evidence of bed bugs and a year or more has passed, it seems that you have to find another answer.

Lou I'm really trying to believe that and it is a struggle, but I would like to be better informed so that I can continue to be vigilant in my hunt to discover what is biting. Would appreciate some answers to the questions I have raised in the thread above if anyone can help. Today I have had a couple of spots on my forearm which itched just enough for me to find the bite and stopped and when I have looked under magnification they are tiny slits. I have read before that bedbug bites can be like that. Looking at them normally, they look just like a tiny pin prick hole.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 6:11:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Panicked - 15 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 3 days ago  » 
    Panicked & Bugshipcrazy,

Lou I'm really trying to believe that and it is a struggle, but I would like to be better informed so that I can continue to be vigilant in my hunt to discover what is biting. Would appreciate some answers to the questions I have raised in the thread above if anyone can help. Today I have had a couple of spots on my forearm which itched just enough for me to find the bite and stopped and when I have looked under magnification they are tiny slits. I have read before that bedbug bites can be like that. Looking at them normally, they look just like a tiny pin prick hole.

I've never seen tiny slits nor tiny holes from bed bug bites. You're trying to make your symptoms equal bed bugs.

16. Panicked

Posted 1 week ago
    Wed Oct 11 2017 11:38:08
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 5 hours ago  » 

Panicked - 15 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 3 days ago  » 
    Panicked & Bugshipcrazy,

I've never seen tiny slits nor tiny holes from bed bug bites. You're trying to make your symptoms equal bed bugs.

Really wow! That's interesting to know. And boy you should know, u have been bitten a lot over the years. Lol Thank you

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,567 posts in 43,045 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234