(12 posts)
  1. hco85

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2012 13:27:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

From sweden here and I'm wondering if there could be only one bedbug?
    Since maybe august I have been having like a big mosquito bite once every 3-4 weeks. I've been cheking for bloodstains since a while back when I was suspecting bedbugs. But didnt think it could be bedbugs because it was so long between the bites and just one bite.
    But last week i got three mosquito bites but very close. I flipped my bed, i've done this before couple of times and never found anything. But now I found a bedbug and killed it.

Pco was here today and they found no more bugs or any trace of them. could there be only one? When I got bitten I got very large mosquito bites so it seems like im somewhat allergic, and its like 8months ago since the first so I think I sjould have gotten bitten more and more frequenty if they were many and they should multiply exponentially?

2. hco85

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Apr 17 2012 13:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

3. oxytocin

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 9:18:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hej!

I'm in no way an expert. I just recently discovered I had bed bugs, so hopefully someone else will come in and give you a better answer. Theoretically, I would asume it is possible to have only one. If one gets inte your home, and it isn't pregnant and there are no other ones there to reproduce with, then it would be doomed to be alone unless more of them get into your home.

I do hope you won't get more bites now!

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 11:09:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Sometimes people do have "just one bug". It's a good practice to regularly monitor your environment and note your skin reactions.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  5. hco85

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Apr 20 2012 18:37:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thx for the answers, havent seen any dead or alive bugs and havent had any bites since PCO was here. Im hoping it was just one

6. killdienow

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 21 2012 0:05:58
    #

Login to Send PM

hate to be the pessimist but i found "one bug" in december.
    two visual inspections found nothing. my building kept insisting it was nothing.
    i forced them to bring the dog which alerted. we sprayed and then i found 5 dead bugs since.
    the last one being 4/2012. i would look at the live bug you saw as a blessing. that you finally found evidence. not knowing sucks! pretendig you dont know is unhelpful. an ignoring the clear sign that it is worth treating may prove detrimental over time.
    do you live in an apartment? do you want to hire a dog?
    i didnt respond to many bites. with 6 total bugs ita hard to imagine how they lasted. must have been biting me without knowing. if i listened to everyone who wanted to tell me there was "only the one bug" id be in a larger sea of invisible bugs. i still fear they are not gone. but maybe time will tell

7. hco85

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 22 2012 10:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

yeah Im living in an apartment and Iguess theres probably more. they havent got dogs here in sweden and I havent seen any dead bugs since the pco was here and I havent got any more bites since they sprayed but its only been a week since so I guess it will show.
    but I just think it strange that I should have been bitten more often if it was many and I've been bitten almost a year.

8. killdienow

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Apr 22 2012 23:46:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hope the spray got everything! maybe you got a lone one that wasnt pregnant! the good thing is that you respond to bites. not responding or not responding clearly is very hard because you have one less important monitor for "are they gone"
    may your swedish bedbug rest in bloodless hell

9. blackavar

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 26 2012 2:30:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Something I've been wondering about: Do our infestations at home start more often with just one pregnant bug? How likely is it that two bugs or more would both decide to hitch on your luggage when it's passing through the airport or even at a hotel? Somewhere on the site, I read about how bedbugs release a chemical signal that attracts other bugs--sort of "invites" other bugs to join them? Entomologists out there, may we know more about this? It's very interesting.

10. blackavar

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 26 2012 2:32:59
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. Perhaps the chemical "invitation" to other bugs ensures that they can populate a new place and not die out for lack of mates?

11. ShelaghDB

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Apr 26 2012 17:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

blackavar - 14 hours ago  » 
    Something I've been wondering about: Do our infestations at home start more often with just one pregnant bug? How likely is it that two bugs or more would both decide to hitch on your luggage when it's passing through the airport or even at a hotel? Somewhere on the site, I read about how bedbugs release a chemical signal that attracts other bugs--sort of "invites" other bugs to join them? Entomologists out there, may we know more about this? It's very interesting.

I have been wondering exactly the same........can anyone answer that? Is there an answer to that question?

12. freakedout

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Apr 28 2012 17:53:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I unknowingly stayed in what turned out to be a very infested dwelling for 2 nights about 4 months ago and have been having intense bedbug paranoia ever since. When I stayed there I received probably 20 bites. It was disgusting. I tried to vigilantly check myself before leaving, but of course I also wanted to get the hell out of there.
    anyway, about 6 weeks later I received one bite identical to the confirmed BB bites and my paranoia became consuming. I searched high and low and found nothing. Anyway for a bit I received a bite or two every 3-4 weeks then nothing again. Other than the ocassional bites there were NO signs, no fecal or blood stains, dead bugs, anything. I obsessively washed all my bedding and searched maniacally. I started sleeping on my sofa about 2 months ago for the most part and have not been bitten again.
    Then today it happened. I was cleaning and found one bed bug on my bed. I killed it then obsessively searched again, nada.
    Sorry for such a long post, I'm moving in a week and am curious if it's truly possible that the one bug was ocasionally feeding on me for months, I'm terrified of taking them with me

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.