Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Could it be another Cimex, not lectularius?

(3 posts)
  1. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 1 2017 13:59:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    We lived with bed bugs in Madrid Spain for around 18 months. we have moved to a different part of Spain and think we have brought them with us, however the patterns of bites and the "behaviour" of this bug doesnt conform for me with everything that is said about Cimex lectularius. Most research - thermal death points and so on are based on lectularius, no? So I wonder if from living in a district of Madrid that has lots of people from tropical areas, could it Hemipterus? And if so, could there be a greater tolerance to heat?
    Areas of Madrid are infested with bedbugs. We got them from the local cinema. Were getting bitten but seeing nothing. 5 different PCOs later we moved, bagged everything and put it into storage. Some stuff we kept and took with us. In the 18 months living with them we only ever saw 2 bugs. Both looked like adult females, with the elongated abdomen. One time when 1 PCO literally drowned the house in pesticide - telling us that resistance depended on quantity. Im a biologist, I should have known better, but you soo want to believe - the neighbours beneath told me that they saw 8 or 9 on their celing the next day. So we spread them into the next apartment. We moved..
    Everything - and I mean everything - my precautions were extreme was heat treated before we moved. What couldnt be heat treated - laptop, tablet etc was left with Bag in Rag Proof for 3 weeks and we fumigated the car then added Cimexa, and despite all this, I´m convinced they´re here.
    We arrived 3 months ago and were bitten soon after unpacking. I put Cimexa down and the bites eventually stopped. I thought I could breath again, it was over. We went out and got a load of new stuff. That was 3 weeks ago. For the last week we´re getting bitten again. At first, just on the face or neck. Occasionally two. More often one and then the last few nights a lot more, back, limbs.
    Ive had a PCO in. He claims he has experience. He certainly looked a lot. And said he saw nothing. He was convinced that after 2 months he would see something.
    So Im wondering, could it be a different species of Cimex?
    And if it is could it have different behaviour? That means it wasnt eradicated with the temperatures given.
    Other behavioural things were: very low reactivity to bites. Much less than the figures usually stated. In those 18 months, we had a lot of visitors and for the ones staying over, probably only 10% would say they felt like theyd been bitten.
    We never saw any fecal spots or cast skins either. But we had a lot of hardwood floors with cracks, and dogs etc.
    Very occasionally bites in 3s, more often not. Twos.
    It was definately bedbugs not fleas, mosquitos, spiders, bird mites. We did find two females.
    They were there, but at a low level and so, such a low level infestation as we had in Madrid. Low level but stubborn and all the heat treatment multiple times and everything else we did, how could we have brought them in the move?
    And if we did, how can we be 3 months in and there still be no visible signs. This last week, Ive been bitten quite a lot.. (My partner gets bitten a lot less/reacts less). I put the Cimexa down again, but this really feels like it´s never ending.
    Any useful thoughts are much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 1 2017 14:02:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    We lived with bed bugs in Madrid Spain for around 18 months. we have moved to a different part of Spain and think we have brought them with us, however the patterns of bites and the "behaviour" of this bug doesnt conform for me with everything that is said about Cimex lectularius. Most research - thermal death points and so on are based on lectularius, no? So I wonder if from living in a district of Madrid that has lots of people from tropical areas, could it Hemipterus? And if so, could there be a greater tolerance to heat?
    Areas of Madrid are infested with bedbugs. We got them from the local cinema. Were getting bitten but seeing nothing. 5 different PCOs later we moved, bagged everything and put it into storage. Some stuff we kept and took with us. In the 18 months living with them we only ever saw 2 bugs. Both looked like adult females, with the elongated abdomen. One time when 1 PCO literally drowned the house in pesticide - telling us that resistance depended on quantity. Im a biologist, I should have known better, but you soo want to believe - the neighbours beneath told me that they saw 8 or 9 on their celing the next day. So we spread them into the next apartment. We moved..
    Everything - and I mean everything - my precautions were extreme was heat treated before we moved. What couldnt be heat treated - laptop, tablet etc was left with Bag in Rag Proof for 3 weeks and we fumigated the car then added Cimexa, and despite all this, I´m convinced they´re here.
    We arrived 3 months ago and were bitten soon after unpacking. I put Cimexa down and the bites eventually stopped. I thought I could breath again, it was over. We went out and got a load of new stuff. That was 3 weeks ago. For the last week we´re getting bitten again. At first, just on the face or neck. Occasionally two. More often one and then the last few nights a lot more, back, limbs.
    Ive had a PCO in. He claims he has experience. He certainly looked a lot. And said he saw nothing. He was convinced that after 2 months he would see something.
    So Im wondering, could it be a different species of Cimex?
    And if it is could it have different behaviour? That means it wasnt eradicated with the temperatures given.
    Other behavioural things were: very low reactivity to bites. Much less than the figures usually stated. In those 18 months, we had a lot of visitors and for the ones staying over, probably only 10% would say they felt like theyd been bitten.
    We never saw any fecal spots or cast skins either. Never in the climb ups. But we had a lot of hardwood floors with cracks, and dogs etc.
    Very occasionally bites in 3s, more often not. Twos.
    It was definately bedbugs not fleas, mosquitos, spiders, bird mites. We did find two females.
    They were there, but at a low level and so, such a low level infestation as we had in Madrid. Low level but stubborn and all the heat treatment multiple times and everything else we did, how could we have brought them in the move?
    And if we did, how can we be 3 months in and there still be no visible signs. This last week, Ive been bitten quite a lot.. (My partner gets bitten a lot less/reacts less). I put the Cimexa down again, but this really feels like it´s never ending.
    Any useful thoughts are much appreciated.
    Thanks

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Dec 1 2017 14:45:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Can't say without an image.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

267,806 posts in 43,548 topics over 131 months by 19,076 of 19,668 members. Latest: tireddddddd, bedbugcrazed, HOWDY1