Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

could it be a mild infestation? how fast do they grow??

(9 posts)
  1. blkynma

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 18:53:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, all.

So I'm pregnant, due in six weeks, and trying to figure this out before then!

About six weeks ago I woke up with about six bites/bumps, mostly near one knee. The next night I got a few more in the same general area, plus one or two on the other leg. Third night maybe a few more. I wake up a zillion times a night, being pregnant and all, and I swear I woke up once or twice itching the old itches, and then I discovered the new ones. I had figured I had just gotten bitten. Do the itch right away like that? I had maybe 12-15 total. They itched a lot for a few days and went away after about four or five days. They were small and almost flea-bite looking (I think; we don't have animals, but I think it's what flea bites look like). They never got big and welty. I changed the sheets, washed all bedding, etc. No more bites/bumps. (Just occurs to me that if it's bugs, as opposed to some weird pregnancy rash, it seems unlikely that they would bite me in the same general area a few nights in a row. Is that correct? It didn't match with most common pregnancy rashes, though....)

Month later, one bite/bump on my calf and one on upper thigh (same leg). Next night one on neck. Husband has no bites. Around the same time, my four year old, who sleeps in another room (but with whom my husband and I frequently hop into be with) got two bumps, one on either hip, though he has not complained that they itch at all, I have no idea if they appeared at night, and he wears a one-piece pajama...

No signs of blood or visible bugs or fecal matter. (Although I did notice a couple of blood smears on a pillow once, months ago, and thought it curious but didn't think much else...)

Does that sound like bed bugs? If I first started to have bites six weeks ago, should I expect that if it were bed bugs the infestation would have gotten big enough to be visible by now?? Does anyone ever have breaks in their symptoms like that, without treatment other than washing bedding??

I've scheduled an inspection, but I'm wondering if it's just a very mild infestation, might they just miss it? Because I'm pregnant and due so soon, I'm very concerned and really want to sort it out asap. I feel like I can't set up the crib and all that, or even get the baby's clothes out and ready, if we have bed bugs!! Also, if it needs to be treated, I'd loved to use just steam/manual treatments, though the company I spoke with said they thought that wasn't effective...

Any advice would be so appreciated!
    Thanks.

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 19:43:40
    #

Login to Send PM

IMO, it sounds they're not bedbug bites... they don't bite under clothes and surely not under a one piece pijama...
    What's more, a period of six weeks without bites is very long for bedbugs habits, and a "bed washing" is not enough to eliminate them.

3. Emmm

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 22:01:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I thought it was possible for them to bite under clothes? If they're baggy enough to crawl under... who knows?

I have no idea if they do have a break in biting THAT long without treatment. My bites were coming 9 days apart, which I think is in their timeline. Perhaps you had bugs, you killed the adults and some eggs hatched? I think that's about a 10 day timeline, but check the FAQs.

Visual inspections can absolutely miss something, especially if it's a light infestation. It did here. We wound up hiring a bed bug dog to sniff 'em out. It was worth every penny, because we may have very likely caught them in two treatments, who knows? It's worth your peace of mind to find out. Are you located near one? Perhaps someone on here can give you a reccommendation if you're interested.

Good luck!

4. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Apr 7 2009 22:13:01
    #

Login to Send PM

A K9 inspection might be helpful to rule in or out the possibility of bed bugs. Be sure you get physical confirmation of any alerts before you treat your home.

I am hoping that you are dealing with something other than bed bugs. Try to avoid being tunnel visioned & continue look for alternate explanations.

An inexpensive electric flea trap could help rule out fleas. The best way to confirm the source of a bite mark is to capture a specimen & identify it.

5. hoo2677

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2009 0:07:46
    #

Login to Send PM

EffiCi, I am going to have to disagree with you about them not biting under clothes. In fact, they do and have bit under clothes. They sure as heck don't bite through them. In fact, no quantity of pajamas, socks, etc., will keep them away. They just get right under and in there. And then CHOMP. (that's the little ones anyway)

Inspection (preferably not with a human) is probably the best bet. I'm still looking for a dog, and the only one I've found only does commercial (read - hotels) jobs.

Just steamed the crap out of my kitchen floor, chairs and table in the hopes of having one fricken night of no bites. It's the only place I'm being bitten - on my feet, and UNDER MY CLOTHES.

Thought I might have seen critters and eggs in the seams of the linoleum tiles in the kitchen and it's the only place I'm getting bit these days (which is promising).

My caulking handyman never returned or even billed or emailed me back (when I asked how much I owed him) after two visits. He freaked out I guess.

Portland, OR

6. blkynma

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Apr 8 2009 7:56:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, that's what I thought...

But why would a bedbug crawl into my kid's pajamas at the foot, hands, or neck, and then not bite him until it reached the hip? and then only one bite on each hip??

This, along with my two bites/bumps (one on calf and one on thigh), happened like five nights ago, and nothing since.

I'm trying to get a K9 inspection...

Still REALLY hoping it's not bed bugs!!

7. bug_eyed

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jun 22 2009 11:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

blkynma--- what's the story now? Where they bedbugs? How's the little one?

8. kim

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 0:14:43
    #

Login to Send PM

so if i have bites on my stomach, my arms, my legs- do i need to wear long tight pants and long sleeved shirts to bed? does that thelp?

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2009 0:22:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Kim, you may cover parts of your body you do not want bitten, but they will bite exposed areas. I kept my calves free because I preferred bites there (you don't want to wear footy pyjamas and gloves and get bit in the face!) Also, I recommend if you have questions, post them to the same thread you started about your case. It helps people remember the rest of your story.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.