Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Could I have caused a k9 false negative?

(6 posts)
  1. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Tue Nov 15 2011 22:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

So I had canine inspection last week just to be on the safe side. The dog cleared my apartment, but a few days after the inspection I noticed that I had left an old air freshener diffuser thing on top of my refrigerator (you know, the kind that has wooden sticks in it, like this)

All the oil had evaporated some time in the previous weeks, but the wooden sticks were still damp and I could smell the scent on them. I know most k9 teams say to remove any scented items from the apartment prior to the inspection, so my question is, can I still trust the inspection?

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the dog missed any bugs, but I am just not sure if it did anything and am wondering if I should schedule another inspection.

2. toledo

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 10:23:15
    #

Login to Send PM

My handler didn't tell me to remove scented items. After all, these dogs are supposed to be looking for a certain scent. Based on my experience, I wouldn't necessarily trust the "all clear", especially if you're experiencing some of the signs.

3. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 11:36:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the feedback Toledo. I spoke with the handler and she confirmed that it should not have been an issue.

I understand you skepticism for canine inspection. From reading some of your older posts it sounds like you were able to prove that your inspection dog was unreliable. At the risk of sounding naive I think my situation is a little different. I have never found a bug and any signs I have found have either been debunked here or by the handler when they did the inspection. I have also had passive monitors stay clean for well over two weeks, so I have no reason to doubt the dogs findings.

That being said I am not going to just forget about the whole thing, I will continue to inspect closely.

4. scaredpea

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 14:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

when we had a k9 inspection the handler only said not to vacuum in the week before and to remove any food from the room. nothing about scented stuff.

5. MsLadybug

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Nov 16 2011 21:35:59
    #

Login to Send PM

On my website I have a checklist that I ask my clients to read when they first contact me and then again the morning of their inspection. The biggest rule for me and my dog is to not invite us to inspect right after a chemical treatment. We train twice a day sometimes in my house and its just like anyone else's....I use febreez, pine sol in the kitchen, leather cleaner on the couches etc and it has never affected her finding her bugs. So bottom line I seriously doubt your air freshener tainted your inspection.

6. mrwitz

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 17 2011 0:15:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reassurance everyone, I guess I was just being paranoid and trying to create a reason for why there could have been a problem with the inspection.

Ladbug I am glad to hear that you train your dog with air fresheners around because when called my handler she said that she did so as well. It's good to know that I hired someone who isn't completely out there in terms of their practices.

The good news is I don't have to shell out for another inspection, the best news is that this probably clears me of bedbugs! I haven't wanted to say that yet, but since this is now day 67 in the vigilance period I think it may be true!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

269,338 posts in 43,826 topics over 132 months by 19,191 of 19,804 members. Latest: Kellbells, cucucajube, Mitchell3845