Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

could heat-treatment damage house?

(6 posts)
  1. friendhasbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Oct 25 2010 20:17:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Question: I'm wondering what can get harmed during a heat treatment? The receptionist at the company said things that melt like candles and makeup and things that explode like spray cans are the problems. She said DVDs and CDs should be fine during a heat treatment. She sounded vague about photos and framed pictures. Does anyone know? Also, I assume any financial receipts printed on thermal paper might turn black?

She also said the dog could determine if some rooms are without bedbugs and then we wouldn't need to treat those rooms. But will the bedbugs spread during the heat treatment to the unused but cooler rooms? What about the attic and the basement?

Not sure if my post went through. Maybe this is a duplicate, but info on this forum and elsewhere gives me concerns re heat treatment, especially if it could damage old wiring in our 90 yr old single-family house. PCO we spoke to has been using "temp-air" technology for a year and says they haven't had problems. When asked, they said they don't insure against damage (and claim there's no need to).

I posted the above at: heat-treatment-downsides

Elsewhere on bedbugger.com I read of people who had shrinkage of floor boards leaving gaps and damage to some furniture joints or veneers or finishes. Someone else mentioned concern about wiring and plaster walls of an old house.

Any expertise here?

2. friendhasbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 14:35:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I found the following post at http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/remodel

The treatment being discussed was microwaves to kill termites, but the question of potentially damaging insulation on house wiring due to excessive heat seems relevant to heat treatments for bedbugs:

What concerns me about this treatment method is:

How is one sure they are not damaging insulation on house wiring and how do they control the temperature?

Housewiring has insulation rated between 60-75-90 celsius.

Exposure to heat above the wire's rated insulation will damage the insulation and could lead to a house fire.

The low end temperature for killing termites according to the original poster is ~128F or 54C.

That's a mere 6C (12F) degrees short of the maximum temperature exposure for some wiring insulation.

75C rated wire will be damaged at 167F.
    90C rated wire will be damaged at 194F.

That's just shy of boiling point.

So how does one safely control the temperature achieved in an existing house to be able to kill termites yet assure no damage has been done to existing wiring insulation?

Does anyone know? Probably we should contact an electrician.

[I'm still looking for evidence, still hoping it's carpet beetles not bedbugs, but vacuuming, decluttering, and checking out extermination procedures, just in case. Heat or Vikane would probably require less prep than chemical. But one PCO gave us an informal quote of $35,000! to Vikane our 1800 sq ft house, over 10 times a quote for heat treatment and way way more than chemical!! But the PCOs wouldn't warranty chemical because we have too much stuff]

"Two years ago my friend had bedbugs; now perhaps it's me."

3. friendhasbb

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 14:53:14
    #

Login to Send PM

p.s. The informal quote we got for heat treatment involved treating the first floor (because all rooms open with archways into adjacent rooms) but only 2 BRs on 2nd floor. That doesn't sound right to me - wouldn't BBs move to adjacent cooler rooms. I think that that PCO's chemical treatment would also be a spot treatment of the LR and 2 BRs.

"Two years ago my friend had bedbugs; now perhaps it's me."

4. SearchandDestroy

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 19:29:41
    #

Login to Send PM

What?! $35,000??? That just means they don't want the job. (my guess).

Don't know about damage from heat but sure anything can happen..it depends on the quality of the technicians. That is true for heat and for chemical treatments.

5. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Nov 3 2010 21:27:28
    #

Login to Send PM

$35,000 is insane! A guy I know bought a house and due to termites is having it tented and Vikaned.

$1500 or so and he asked, at my bequest, to up the dosage to cover BBs and other insects. He didn't show me the papers but thinks it is 10X the termite dosage. It added about $200 to the cost.

Jim

6. nervousaboutbedbugs

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Nov 4 2010 20:36:23
    #

Login to Send PM

35K is outrageous, but.... where I live (in the Northeast), I was quoted over 10K to do a single family home. Tenting for termites isn't done in this area (they're subterranean), so there aren't many providers who offer the service. Certainly better than 35K, but still out of reach for most of us.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

192,922 posts in 29,755 topics over 91 months by 12,863 of 20,153 members. Latest: paranoiditch, Bentham, CyberAndroid