Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Could bed bug bites seem different on the same person second time around?

(2 posts)
  1. Sammy

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Thu Aug 10 2017 20:56:41
    #

Login to Send PM

A number of years ago (about 7) I had a bed bug infestation while living abroad. It was hellish, took me quite a while to identify, but was ultimately dealt with, though very costly. At the time, the bites I had were truly awful - large, raised welts, all over my body. I thought I was losing my mind.

Many years on and I now live in Ireland, and a week or so ago I started noticing a few bites on my legs. They looked like mosquito bites, and they weren't as severe as my previous bed bug bites, but there aren't mosquitos here at this time. I assumed it was another small summer bug, but as the week has gone on, I've been getting more and more - showing up as individual bites. I realised tonight some of them are much smaller, and in patterns - my memory from my last bed bug infestation is that the nymphs produced smaller bites. I have two by my ankles, and two above my knees.

My husband stayed in an airbnb three weeks ago: he has noticed no bites, and I've seen no signs on our bed. I may be paranoid, but my mind has now turned to bed bugs - however, I don't know if the bites would seem different on me. If I got the same kind of bite as I had before, I would assume bed bugs instantly: but while there are incredibly itchy I don't have the raised welts.

Could the bites be showing differently on me this time? Is this bed bug survivor paranoia? Or have I missed a chance to get in early? What should I do now? It seems premature to call in pest control without any proof.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 week ago
    Fri Aug 11 2017 1:19:42
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible, but there are other possible non-bed bug causes. And skin reactions are not a reliable way to determine if you have bed bugs.

Bites on legs can also commonly be fleas. We have a flea FAQ here with a DIY trap idea. You don't need a pet to have fleas at home or get bitten by them outside.

If not fleas, consider having a professional inspect for bed bugs (and insist on seeing visual evidence before treatment-- consider posting a photo here for verification!)

If not fleas or bed bugs, consider seeing a dermatologist to explore other possibilities.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,674 posts in 42,198 topics over 127 months by 18,524 of 19,017 members. Latest: Tglock, Rae13, Buggybuggy335