Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Couch now infected after 2nd treatment! WTF!

(11 posts)
  1. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 13:21:20
    #

Login to Send PM

We had the 2nd treatment last week and the PCO said he didnt find anymore BBs. The original source of action was in our bedroom and my daughters room. I had the guest room and living room treated, as a precaution as well. No activity so far in the bedrooms but this morning, my husband was on the couch in the living room and was bit on his arm by a small BB. The furniture has been treated, and I have vacuumed the couches several times in the past few weeks and inspected by both me and the PCO for any signs and nothing was found. There is a lot of residual stuff all over the house so again, I am at a loss here.

So this has been a big shock, since we felt the living room was "safe". I called the PCO and he is coming out to check out the couch and see if we will need a 3rd treatment. My questions are 1) is this normal? especially if they werent there in the beginning, 2)Do I throw out the couch? 3)Could they have been there before and we just didnt see them?

I am at work and just reeling at the moment. I just started to feel somewhat comfortable again and now this. Why me!?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 13:30:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have had a quick look but I cant see any listing of what products and techniques have been used in your case. It may be that we need those facts in order to better establish what is doing on here.

Also if you can document the extent of any signs you find it may be helpful to rather some raw data on how long things have been going on in certain rooms based on the physical traces.

In my world today has been a day of forensics with a real crime solved via pest control sample ID today. Not directly bed bug related and more an observation of entomology that led to a line of questioning and a confession of a crime.

I know you are understandably stressed at the second but the best way we can help you is by knowing as many of the facts as possible so we can try and work this out.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 13:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

The first treatment, the PCO used Crossfire,Bedlam and Alpine Dust. The 2nd, he just used Crossfire, and both times, sprayed the baseboards all along the house. I have done the whole cleaning, washing and bagging thing and havent put anything back yet. The beds are encased and still away from the wall. And we have climbups on our bed. My daughters bed is a platform one but its been throughly inspected and climbupson the guest bed but nothing there.

We have two couches and one recliner, which have been treated. When they did the initial inspection, nothing was found in the living room--though the couch in question is a big one and hard to move---plus it is dark brown and you need a flashlight to see anything on it. But again, its been treated and vacuumed a few times.

We realized we had BBs back in early February, when my husband found an adult in our bed. He has been getting bit about a month before that and having a bad reaction. We of course thought it was either mosquitoes or spiders--we live in Arizona and seeing those insects in the winter is not unheard of. There were a few black stains on the side of the mattress but not a lot and was only brought to my attention after the PCO inspected. I wash sheets often and just didnt notice.

My daughter hasnt been bitten, despite BBs in her room. they were found on the floor and not anywhere on the bed. I had minimal bites but nothing crazy like my husband. They were found in our boxspring and treated and encased, as well as the mattress. Now I feel like if they were on our couch, we might have reinfested our rooms! But this is the first bites since treatment started.

Sigh. I am trying not to freak out at work but my head is just swimming right now. help.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 17:10:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Did they only spray the baseboards and that's it ? Hmmm.

The beds are encased and still away from the wall. And we have climbups on our bed.

These measures may prevent you from being bitten as often but don't do anything to eliminate the bed bugs.

My daughter hasnt been bitten, despite BBs in her room.

She may be a non-reactor (approx 30% of people don't react).

5. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 17:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

No, not just the baseboards--they dusted outlets as well. And they treated the infested rooms, the furniture in all the rooms affected and I had them do the living room for good measure. They are coming back out tomorrow to re-inspect and to see if we need a 3rd treatment. The PCO is a very reputable company and one of the best we have in my city--they have been with us every step of the way.

The small nymph that bit my husband on the couch fell off him and didnt move after, so I guess that is good. I would just hate to get rid of all my furniture, especially since we have gone broke doing this series of treatments. I was being a bit lax these last few days but I'm going back to power mode now.

I just hope we didnt reinfest our rooms and hoping this is straggler but still curious how it got on the couch in the first place--since it started in the bedrooms. Guess it was a good thing to get the whole house done.

6. Bappida

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 18:19:51
    #

Login to Send PM

are you living in an apt or a stand alone home? You could be re-introducing them, or they might be wandering over from your neighbors

7. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 18:22:49
    #

Login to Send PM

We live in stand alone, single family home--about 1900 sq. ft. We could be reintroducing them--but there is just work, school and that's about it. We stopped going out to friends house and my Moms, just to be on the safe side. Maybe its from the clothes bags I open but I wash them of course, and then put them in the dryer every morning before we leave.

I am just feeling so low right now--I know they are just little bugs but dammit, they need to go away.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 18:39:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I would call the pest control firm and explain that you would feel happier if someone would come out and have a look.

The activity in areas that they did not identify could be signs of either:

• Something having been missed at the inspection phase and thus potentially during treatment.
    • Something not going according to play that has resulted in dispersal.

Either way if it were my company I would want to have a look or at least offer an explanation.

David

9. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 19:11:20
    #

Login to Send PM

They are coming back out tomorrow morning, and the couch and living room has been vacuumed again. I will see what they have to say during the re-inspection.

10. bedbugsbugme

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed Mar 15 2017 21:20:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you been emptying the vacuum outside into the outside garbage? Has you and your husbands work space been inspected? Your daughters school? Its just possible that they could be hiking in from those places. Since you went a while without knowing about your infestation they could be in those places. Don't panick but maybe just look at your work space incase.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  11. Tucson74

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu Mar 16 2017 17:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

The PCO came and re-inspected our house and couch. He did a thorough inspection and found nothing. Nothing in any of the climbups, or along the baseboards or edges of carpet. He found nothing in the couch and he was there a good while. We are just hoping it was an errant nymph on its way out to bug hell.

He asked us to be vigilant, clean, vacuum and monitor for the next few weeks or so. He doesn't think we need a third treatment, as ours wasn't a bad infestation-- but will come do it if we find a live one. There was one barely live in on the box spring--he changed out the encasement due to a rip but it died pretty easily. So I will be holding my breath for a little while longer.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

261,487 posts in 42,163 topics over 127 months by 18,504 of 18,994 members. Latest: amybooks, imbuggingout, Okiguess