Cost of Vikane treatment

(16 posts)
  1. Mausi

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 20:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Does anyone know how much it costs to do a Vikane treatment? I am grappling with the idea of either throwing away all my furniture or loading it all in a U-Haul and using Vikane. I'm not sure if it would be worth it!

2. miseryinthed

Posted 6 years ago
    Wed Jun 11 2008 21:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Mausi, I just got in contact w/ a company that performs this kind of treatment on a regular basis (I'm in the same boat as you w/ my stuff). I was told I had the option of using a truck issued by their company, or renting a U-Haul for a few days (the stuff needs to be aired out after gassing). Depending on the size (cubic feet) of the container, I was told the cost would fall between $500-$700. I don't have very much stuff, so I plan to use the smallest vehicle possible to do the job. I still haven't received quotes from anyone else, but the company I called was Rose Pest Solutions- i'm in Detroit, but i think they advertise as being the oldest pest control co. in the country; i know they operate out of Chicago as well. A couple i'm friends with are the bldg. managers of an apartment building that became infested; they used Rose and said they were charged an initial price and the PCO came out as many times as needed until the bugs were gone, so they gave them a strong recommendation. My parents also used them like 20 years ago for ants or something, but said they remembered them to be a good company, in case you're looking for a recommendation.

Like I said, I haven't used them myself yet & this was the first quote I got, but from what I understand, Vikane really works, and it's not cheap. I'm pretty low on funds right now, but I don't see myself moving without this being done. Good luck to you.

3. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 12:01:04
    #

Login to Send PM

The price of $500 to $750 is about the standard. I would not go with a smaller truck though. You should opt for one size larger than what you would normally move in.

I just had the vikane done on may 29th and so far no new bites since I moved and had the u haul treated.

Pack everything loosely and that is not as easy as it sounds.

I'm not sure where your at but in south florida I would at this point highly recommend Dead Bug Edwards. They were quite helpful and put up with my numerous questions right up to the day I dropped the truck of for the treatment.

4. miseryinthed

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 14:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

beenbugged, is the reason for the larger truck to enure greater gas exposure? Do you know how much it will affect the cost of the fumigation to get a larger truck? Even with my couch/bed/larger items that i won't have this time around, i still only needed a pretty small truck to move last time... come to think of it, i moved in a couple of short trips out of a friend's pickup... thanks!

5. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 15:13:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I myself used a 17 foot u haul but I also did not have that much stuff. It ended up a little over have packed (once in the truck) I used banana boxes for a lot of clothing & other stuff. The advantage of these is that they already have holes in the sides top & bottoms (there is only a thick sheet of heavy paper covering the bottom hole).

It gave me an advantage of being able to stack them on top of other things without being to concerned about blocking things in from stacking stuff on top of things.

I actually could have moved (if I had no bed bugs) in the next size smaller truck as I had already pitched quite a bit stuff (including my bed/boxspring) way before the treatment.

Yes the idea is for the gas to more easily disperse in a loosely half packed truck.

6. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jun 12 2008 15:15:31
    #

Login to Send PM

PS - Sorry should have posted this with the last post. The company that did mine also checked the truck to make sure I had packed things in a proper way for the treatment. After checking out the packed truck I was given an ok and then they did the treatment.

7. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 1:10:40
    #

Login to Send PM

AAHHH - I am a collector of all kinds of stuf and have a lot of furniture - but also I am in NYC where things are more expensive

I am using an extra large truck for lots of room a- 24ft truck and my vikane treatment is costing me 2000 - they are also keeping the truck tarped for 11 days

boy that seems like a WHOLE lot more money then the 700 you guys paid

Adele

8. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 9:36:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele

Are you sure the truck is going to be treated for eleven days? Shorter time frames are more common.

Does this include a period when they are outgassing the contents after the treatment?

Vikane gas exposure is measured in ounce/ hours. How many ounce / hours is your PCO planning to use for the treatment of your truck?

I don't mean to alarm you, but I am really curious about the eleven day treatment period.

Thanks

9. heartattackhelpme

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 14:13:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been having this nightmare since November. I brought my son to Universal Sudios we stayed at the Hilton, I was bit, and I am having a nightmare. I dicosvered that were in my boyfriends boat so we brought them there. I have tried spraying 3 times professionally. I have had my house baked and his boat baked and our cars baked.(he dosn't feel the itchness even though he has red dots all over his back and he is furious with me, he did see a bug and that is my only saving grace with him)
    I have dusted everywhere including my Mothers and my son's Fathers (they claim I am insane, cray, nuts as they are not showing any evidence of bites. I am taking homeopathy to help with my nerves and the allergic reaction and I still see some small bites (not as red with the homeopathy but they are there)
    I threw out the old bed, bought a latex and covered it. Bought a new foam mattress for my son and covered it.
    I have dusted around every piece of furniture. Should I cover them?
    I was told that there is a bud beg dog that can pinpoint exactly where they are at $120 dollars an hour. Should I do this?
    Did you cover your furniture if so with what? Any suggestions....I cry almost every night.
    Please help me my heart is racing all of the time and I am so sad and out of ideas of how to rid myself of them.

10. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 22:23:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Doug - thank you for the pointers - actually I am concerned also

my car was very badly infested and I had my car fumigated with this comapny - they kept it for 4 days and when I picked it up I placed a large painters tarp on the front seat and threw it out afterwards - I also wore brand new clothes when I drove it back so i would not take a chance to reinfest it

I also kept it locked in my friends garage to protect it while I am going through the move and I have not driven it in 2 weeks

I drove it today and WAS STILL BITTEN!!!!!

Doug - could that be possible after vikane treatment for the car?!! it really makes me worried that this company does not know what they are doing

They tarped the car and shot the gas outside and they had bags of my stuff inside the vault - some of my shoes still came back infested as well

to answer your question- well I don't know the answer to your question I don't know what ounce/ hours they are using

I will find out

I am worried now- and I think I should shop around - Doug - I have 1 chance to get this right

and yes the total time was 11 days - I am supposed to bring the truck to them on June 26th and they will shoot the gas on June 27th and I pick up the truck on July 8th

so I assume part of that time is for outgassing

Adele

11. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 22:35:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele. We had our entire home vikane fumigated last fall. Not that we did, but we got the all clear to re-enter the home 6 hrs later after the tarp was removed. The fumigant dissipates very quickly and they use fans to help as well. Sounds like they are stretching the ounce/hours to the max and then in return may end up not using the 3X formulation that they should be for bed bugs? Do some research on this and feel free to pm me, I'll try to help anyway I can. If not for anything but to give you some references if you are in the NY/NJ tristate area. I'm very interested to who this company is as well.

12. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Sun Jun 15 2008 23:00:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Paul - thank you for your posting

I PM'd you the name of the company - I am really reconsidering using them as I get the feeling they are not taking this seriously - my car is still infested - of this I am sure and my shoes also came back infested as well

I will speak to them tomorrow and ask for details and also get other price quotes - can you recommend a company that I can use?

Adele

13. IveBeenBugged

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 8:03:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele after reading your post I am now not as convinced that the company you are using knows what they are doing. I had thought from a previous post that you were going to keep the truck tarped on your own in the summer heat as a preventitive extra measure.

I was not aware that it was the company doing this.

Vikane treatment takes 24 hours (plus the time needed for setting up the tent and taking it down). That's it that's all. I do not get why they would keep the truck tented for any longer (the 24 hours also includes the airing out portion).

If you are indeed in the NY/NJ area you could try calling Bed Bugs & Beyond. I'm in Fort Lauderdale but when looking for vikane the nearest place I found on my own was BB & Beyond in Tampa (they are also in the NY area).

They where very nice and informative about the treatment and came off as being very professional even though he (Bruce or Paul I don't remember the man's name) knew if I found somewhere closer I would not be using them.

He even let me know that if I had any questions somewhere else could not answer to call him back and he would try to explain anything to me.

I finally got a recommendation from a professor at Florida Univeristy that teaches the class for a company (Dead Bug Edwards) that wsas in the fort lauderdale area. It saved me a drive accross the state.

I agree with Doug no info anywhere on the net including Dow Chemicals (the manufacturer of Vikane) says to treat for 11 days.

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 12:43:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Adele. I referred you to two different companies that I am familiar with and trust. I would look up on the internet and on this site for all the info pertaining to vikane fumigation as possible, so that you can ask educated questions.
    Ask that if they offer a warranty of any sort. ( this can vary greatly within companies due to no residual and re-infestation) Ask if they provide a fumigation report upon completion. This reports shows how much gas was put it, how it held, ground temp, the half/loss time etc...
    When our home was fumigated they held the gas in for 28 hrs based on half loss time...seepage, etc... to keep the gas at the 3x rate.
    I feel that the company you used possibly is not using the straight 3X recommended by DOW and holding the gas in longer to compensate? (stretching the half loss time to extremes..maybe trying to save on the cost of fumigant??)I don't think it would be very effective to do so in the case of penetrating bed bug eggs.(just my nonprofessional opinion and trying to help.) Good Luck.

15. Adele

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Jun 16 2008 12:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

thanks everyone - I posted my response and canceled the upcoming treatment with that other company

no they did not have ANY warrantee - they told me that they only guarantee that the truck will be bedbug - free when it leaves the lot

anyway - they are done

see my other post and THANK YOU for the warnings - you may have saved me from a WORLD of hurt and aggravation

16. LavenderLove05

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat May 1 2010 17:18:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay so I have a question. I am driving from NY to FL and have to rent the 10 footer because its a long drive and I can't drive the bigger truck plus the bigger truck is more expensive anyway and I cant afford that. So I was going to get to my destination and VERY carefully unpack stuff that I can visually clean (such as dishes and stuff like that) to make more room to space the stuff out in the truck and basically take out all the packing material (newspaper and such) that I used to protect my stuff and take it to be treated. Does that sound like a good alternative to renting the bigger truck for that drive? It's just too expensive. I don't have much stuff anyway...Mainly the packing material takes up all the space to be honest. As far as furniture is concerned I have a futon (the mattress is already encased and wasn't infested at the time of encasement) and a dining room table. Thats all the furniture. The rest is boxes of candle holders and electronics and clothing and books and crap like that.

Also - do you keep your clothing that you already washed and dried and sealed in the truck or is that safe to bring into your home and not fumigate it? I plan on opening each bag individually and drying it again for 40 minutes before hanging everything up.

I am planning on making the drive down to FL before going the treatment because in NYC I don't have the time after I rent the truck to do it. I have to get down because the person helping me move has to work PLUS if it's this apartment that has the problem I really don't want to stay here while my stuff is getting uncontaminated. I'd rather take my time and have the help of family and friends in FL to help me sort through everything rather than doing everything alone up here.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.