Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

continuing to get bites, no more sign of bugs

(6 posts)
  1. giad27

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sat Aug 12 2017 14:29:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It's been 3 weeks since I found the bedbugs. I self treated my house because it was a pretty light infestation and I thought I'd try to do it myself before handing over $2500 to have it done professionally. I've used temprid, gentrol, and diatomaceous earth. We've had a lot of success, but I don't think they're entirely gone. Everyone else in the house is over it, they're sure they're gone, but I've still got bites showing up. I found a live nymph in my bed under the sheet 5 days ago. I took the bed apart again and sprayed and powdered again. I don't know how anything could live in that bed, but everyday I get a new bite mark showing up on my back, neck or torso. I've got a layer of DE powder between the mattress and box spring. I was certain this would kill anything that was trying to get me.(there's 7 people in my house, but these bugs come for ME) I can't find any fecal stains or bugs. If bugs were still biting me, wouldn't I see fecal marks somewhere on the bed? I'm wondering if it's a delayed reaction or maybe they're getting to me through the mattress cover. I've got a Utopia cover that I got pretty cheap on Amazon. I don't think I really expect anyone to be able to answer this or tell me what's going on since there are so many variables to bite marks. I'm just looking for advice on what to do next. I feel like I'm helplessly waiting to find another live bug. Then what? Maybe I shouldn't have put my clothes away yet. I'm afraid to replace the mattress cover because I don't want to take this one off. It's a king size memory foam mattress that is difficult to deal with. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. giad27

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 10:59:49
    #

Login to Send PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153506642@N02/35708408704/in/dateposted-public/
    found this in the glue trap between my mattress and box spring. Explains the bites I guess. I'm surprised the DE didn't kill it.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/153506642@N02/35708408704/in/dateposted-public/

3. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 15:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

From what I understand is it takes up to 10 days for DE to kill bed bugs. It could be a while until everything is gone. Females will continue to lay eggs until they die from it. The eggs will hatch within 10 days then it will take 10 days for the new bugs to die. DE isn't an instant killer. What other things besides spraying and duat have you done to treat and prep?

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  4. giad27

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 15:50:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response. I've really only used the spray (temprid sc Mixed with gentrol) and the DE. Today I vaccummed the DE from around my bed because I hadn't sprayed that area since I had so much powder down. I was really relying on the powder. I took the bed completely apart and sprayed it again, but this time I was more thorough. I had the frame outside and I completely soaked it and got every crack. Sprayed the carpet and wall and floor boards around the bed and sprayed the box spring and mattress which are both encased. I haven't seen an adult in about 2 weeks so I'm pretty sure that I'm just dealing with the eggs and nymphs. I hadn't heard that it can take DE that long to work, so that makes sense that they're still getting me. My kids aren't getting bitten anymore so I'm really hoping they aren't in their rooms but I'll keep checking. I ordered the passive monitors and active monitor yesterday. This is really unbelievable. I've never dealt with anything like this in my 40 years on this earth!

5. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 18:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

You should really stop using the gentrol. I have heard not so good things about it. It doesn't do much to bed bugs and I've heard that it can actually make them breed faster. A quick search on this forum about gentrol will show you threads about it.

Remember that bed bugs dont only live in your bed. They can live anywhere close to where you rest. Couches, bed side tables, area rugs, base boards ect. But dont panic. Just vacuum these areas throughly and lightly dust with the DE.

There are also good FAQs on thid forum for DIY. A search will bring these up as well.

6. giad27

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Aug 13 2017 19:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I thought I had thoroughly researched Gentrol and that's why I got it. I read that it's the only effective IGR for bedbugs. I hadn't seen the study that suggests adults lay twice as many eggs after contact. I'm really hoping I don't have anymore adults around. I did treat the bed side tables and all around the bed, I just feel like it's never enough. They're so small and seem to survive regardless.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,575 posts in 43,048 topics over 129 months by 18,887 of 19,446 members. Latest: bugbedder, RDM16, UStraveler1234