Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Contamination info needed - experts please

(8 posts)
  1. Bedbugmom41

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 11:27:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone!

I made a terrible mistake when I found out I had a bedbug infestation - before I found this incredible website. In a panic, I took a piece of luggage from the closet in my bedroom (ground zero) and put it in the backyard shed without sealing it first (now I know I should've have left the thing sit open on the floor for the PCO to spray it ). That piece of luggage has been sitting in the shed since July 10th. With all the Christmas ornements in bins and the artificial tree. How likely is it that the Christmas stuff could contaminate my appartment again if I bring it in ?

The shed is unsealed (hello spiders?).
    Nuvan strips are not available in my country.
    Treatment seems difficult since humidity and temperature are uncontrolled (I live in Canada).
    I don't have the budget to buy everything new.
    My kid is crying at the possibility of Christmas without a tree.

So how likely is it that there would be live bugs or viable eggs in that shed ?

2. bugged-cdn

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 12:41:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think anyone can tell you there is 0% probability. So it depends how comfortable you are with "maybe".

3. Bedbugmom41

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 15:34:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Bugged-cdn

I know the probability is never 0%, however I was more interested in knowing about bedbugs behavior in an unsealed environment with very limited food source (rodents ?), predators (spiders?) and uncontrolled temperature (hot humid summers days and cold winter night - already 12 hours at -17 Celsius in Montreal).

Would they have settled and wait in an enviroment like that or are they long gone looking for a better food source and climate by now (4 months) ?

Also, how likely is it that they would settle and wait in plastic tree and decorations that were not contaminated in the first place ?

I am just trying to understand and make a decision based on scientific facts.

4. Bedbugmom41

newbite

Posted 6 days ago
    Fri Nov 17 2017 21:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone?

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 6 days ago
    Sat Nov 18 2017 14:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Luggage in the closet, in my opinion would be a low risk as long as the infestation wasn't a months long issue. Proximity to the bed could be a factor, but as long as there wasn't a huge population with obvious signs I don't think there would be enough bed bugs in a single piece of luggage in a closet which was then moved to a less than hospitable environment for months with a lack of food and exposed to predators, I just think there are too many 'what if's' involved to make it a major concern.
    Damn that was a long sentence.

HVAC/Locksmith/Bed Bug Control for a non-profit homeless shelter and long term veteran housing.
  6. Bedbugmom41

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Sat Nov 18 2017 22:34:59
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 7 hours ago  » 
    Luggage in the closet, in my opinion would be a low risk as long as the infestation wasn't a months long issue. Proximity to the bed could be a factor, but as long as there wasn't a huge population with obvious signs I don't think there would be enough bed bugs in a single piece of luggage in a closet which was then moved to a less than hospitable environment for months with a lack of food and exposed to predators, I just think there are too many 'what if's' involved to make it a major concern.
    Damn that was a long sentence.

Thank you BigDummy! Seriously!
    No such luck. The infestation was 4 months ongoing.....
    I guess I'll get new stuff for the next 2 x-mas.

Bless you xx

7. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 5 days ago
    Sun Nov 19 2017 19:25:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Is it hard-plastic luggage or is it made of cloth?

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
  8. Bedbugmom41

newbite

Posted 3 days ago
    Tue Nov 21 2017 15:26:56
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 1 day ago  » 
    Is it hard-plastic luggage or is it made of cloth?

Cloth. Black cloth.
    I know, I know...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7