(6 posts)
  1. CK15

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Nov 8 2017 20:31:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, this'll be lengthy...

A friend gave them to me, either via a backpack he brought over once, or through them latching onto our clothes and getting to my house. About a month after the bag was here though, I found spots on my bed. At first, I thought my laptop was somehow doing it (burn marks? black dust? I've eaten on my bed too, maybe that?)

Then one night, a bug that I like to categorize as a "sentry" came out to see if the coast was clear at like 1:00 AM. Well, it wasn't. When I saw it, I was certain what it was, Googled "bedbugs," and in one of the worst moments of my life, confirmed it. So, I searched my bed, and that night and the next day, I found about 20 of them, all dark brown (assumed adults at the time, but they don't get that old in 30 days, so I now doubt it) I picked them all off and flushed them, then powdered and sprayed a bit, steamed my mattress and boxsprings from top to bottom, and foolishly put all my stuff back under my bed thinking nothing of it.

About a month later, I found spots once again. I went looking and found a BIG one in the seam of my mattress cover, surrounded by spots. I convinced myself it was just a straggler/lone wolf, killed it, and moved on. I checked back to ease my mind a bit and found a baby. Ok, maybe it laid a couple eggs. Over the course of a few days, I searched everywhere and found 7. After waiting for what felt like an eternity, a boxspring cover I ordered finally came in, I bought a whole bunch ($150 worth about) of treatment items, and after 10 hours of bagging, sealing in totes to be opened no earlier than 2019, cleaning out my room and trashing a whole bunch of stuff, I put the boxspring cover on. Cheap piece of garbage ripped all over. Went ahead and just put another mattress cover over it, but not before COATING the underside and inside of the boxspring in spray and DE powder (in hopes of choking its inhabitants out) and put a second cover on the first mattress one for good measure. Underside of bed is clear, I check ALL OVER nightly, and constantly inspect for spots. Since then, (about a week later to be exact) I caught one baby on my bed (with a dark bottom, but not very, which I found 2 tiny spots recently, so I hope they were caused by it) and one big dark one between the two mattress covers (which I squished in the cover) That was about 2-3 days ago. Still no signs at all.

Now then, I also have carpet beetles (which I don't mind all that much since I have nothing of note they feed on) and though I find THEIR shells everywhere, I find no signs of bedbugs anywhere else but my bed, found one the very first time on the bottom of my headboard, and found a dried up one in a plastic container on top of some plastic drawers that I had clothes on (it fell in, couldn't escape, and starved rather quick, proving the "can't escape plastic" theory) They weren't even behind the outlet cover or IN the outlet literally right by my bed. They also showed no signs of being in my closet (but the CBs had signs all over it) or my clothes drawers not even 3 feet from my headboard (yet the crevices were full of CB shells) Plus, when I checked all my stuff under my bed, I only found 1 bug under the stuff and a few CB shells (still trashed any box and sealed everything else I wanted to keep in those plastic totes) From all this, and taking what I know about rival pest infestations, I've been led to believe that either A) I caught them too quick to spread that far or B) The CBs are actually bullying/hogging the territory from the BBs and keeping them locked to my bed, or maybe even a bit of both. Kinda makes me wanna keep the CBs til the BBs die out. Hell, I'd feed them and let them do their thing as thanks if I could prove point B right, as losing my shed hair and a blanket in my closet to them is NOTHING compared to what the BBs have done so far.

So with all of that said, I've come to get any advice for keeping them under control and eventually dead (mainly since every place I look has a different way to do things and make different claims) as well as opinions on if my assumptions listed above could be true. I'm slightly hopeful since this time I took A LOT more measures, but last time, it took a month for them to resurge, so until then, I don't know. I have more than enough DE powder, sprays, and steam to keep treating if I see them, but how hard they can be to see before it's too late, as well as how easy they can escape any little crevice and how I don't react at all to the bites is NOT helping ease my troubled mind. So, what's your take, person reading this post?

Also, I chronicled everything as a reference in hopes that one day I can repost all this stuff in the "success story" section.

EDIT: Fixed a couple typos. I've also never found an egg, only found like 2 BB shells ever, and haven't found any traces of them anywhere people say they should be, such as my closes, walls, outlets, shelves, or anything. Refer to my A and B theories above.

2. HifromChi

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 12:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, I would start thinking about bringing a professional in or you could be battling this for a long time. The resurgence that never ends. They can spread throughout your home, not just in your bed so It's especially important to get any units adjacent to yours inspected too (if you live in a multi-unit building) they can travel between walls and electrical work so they can easily run to more inhabitable surroundings and wait your killing sprees out, then just return and vice versa for your neighbors.

3. CK15

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Nov 9 2017 22:27:56
    #

Login to Send PM

HifromChi - 10 hours ago  » 
    If I were you, I would start thinking about bringing a professional in or you could be battling this for a long time. The resurgence that never ends. They can spread throughout your home, not just in your bed so It's especially important to get any units adjacent to yours inspected too (if you live in a multi-unit building) they can travel between walls and electrical work so they can easily run to more inhabitable surroundings and wait your killing sprees out, then just return and vice versa for your neighbors.

I get that they can travel, but they haven't even traveled much in MY room yet, let alone to any others. Plus, the next bedroom is one story up and has wooden floors and a foam mattress. I live at home still and it's a house, so no apartments or neighbors close enough to get them (especially since it is winter) I also don't have nearly enough money to get an exterminator or I would have to start with.

At this point, the way things look, I think I got them. I never had them all that bad and their population has only gotten smaller every time I go searching. Plus, nothing is around my bed, DE is everywhere, and I constantly monitor my bed and room for them. I find PLENTY of traces of carpet beetles, yet not many of bedbugs, which goes back to my "CBs attack BBs" theory.

4. CK15

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue Nov 14 2017 1:15:46
    #

Login to Send PM

To update, about 1 week later and still NO signs at all. Granted, it's only been 2 weeks since the big treatment and I don't react to the bites, but I check the whole mattress and boxspring with a flashlight nightly and find absolutely nothing. No babies, eggs, shed skins, spots, or anything. I still got about 4-6 weeks left before it's official, but I THINK that might have been it.

5. CK15

newbite

Posted 1 day ago
    Wed Nov 22 2017 22:13:49
    #

Login to Send PM

About half a month later and still no signs, and trust me, I check the ENTIRE mattress and boxspring. Plus, only my encasement is on atm, so it's all pure white, so spots would show up, and so would skins and bugs themselves. Although I get plenty of false alarms since every piece of dark fuzz and dead skin gets caught by this dang thing, but I think I got them. I'm not putting anything back together entirely until the new year, though to follow the "6-8 weeks" rule. Should the new year come with still no signs, I'll be sure to post the ever-reassuring "success story" in the proper forum. If not, I'll reply about how they came back and seek advice. I so hope I get to post the former...

6. thirdusername

newbite

Posted 7 hours ago
    Fri Nov 24 2017 12:31:53
    #

Login to Send PM

This sounds promising.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,823 posts in 43,336 topics over 131 months by 18,998 of 19,574 members. Latest: minicooper78, bmprg, syedz7