Confirmed BatBugs

(4 posts)
  1. MommyHatesBugs

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 16:51:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I found a bug that looked like a bedbug in my bathroom last week. The bedbug sniffing dogs found nothing however, so even though it was a "confirmed" bedbug by two local exterminators, I sent the sample to an entomologist at a nearby university just in case.

Well, it came back as a batbug.

All the information I read about batbugs on-line seems to be contradicted by other sites.

I know this is bedbugger.com, but are they any batbug experts here? Basically I just want to know two things: 1) Can batbugs reproduce with only a human host? I've had two very painful bites, four or five days apart, that are not like any bug bite I've ever had in the past. I'm worried there are more coming. 2) Do they hang out in beds and furniture during the day, or is it more likely they're in the walls?

I'm so confused by everything I'm reading and don't know how to proceed. I feel like I need some basic knowledge before I call an exterminator because so many of the "bedbugs experts" I called (when I thought we had bedbugs) gave conflicting advice.

Thank you in advance if there's anyone here that can help.

2. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 15 2017 17:18:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but "yes" we do have experts here who know about bat bugs. What I do know is that the treatment is different for bat bugs versus bed bugs so it's important your PCO is on that page. As to your questions, my understanding is that they prefer the bat as a host but will feed off humans if they have to. Have you had or do you still have any bats around your house? Are they still there?

The other thing is that it's great you got an ID from an entomologist, but a second opinion can't hurt. So, if you happen to still have the bug, please post a high resolution picture on one of the free photo sites like Flickr and post a link. We have one of the best entomologist's around, Lou Sorkin, who hopefully will give you his thoughts.

Richard

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue May 16 2017 10:53:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

OK, exterminators were wrong, the dog was right (sort of). While they do look similar on an eye sight level there is a world of hidden detail, the summary of which is here (http://www.batbugs.com/).

The clues that were missed were bathroom and lack of confirming signs in the sleeping areas.

To answer your questions:

1. I don't think we know enough to answer that, partly because real cases are hard to study because that means people being exposed.

2. No, they return to the original food source and tend to only enter homes when food their preferred food is absent.

Therefore the issue is kind of two fold:

• Dealing with the bat bugs you have today
    • Preventing others arriving when the bats come back

You might want to look at running an active monitor such as the Bed Bug Beacon int he loft space to see if you can "trap out" the hungry bat bugs before they get to you but I would avoid trying to seal the room to prevent ingress.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Tue May 16 2017 11:54:01
    #

Login to Send PM

MommyHatesBugs - 18 hours ago  » 
    So, I found a bug that looked like a bedbug in my bathroom last week. The bedbug sniffing dogs found nothing however, so even though it was a "confirmed" bedbug by two local exterminators, I sent the sample to an entomologist at a nearby university just in case.
    Well, it came back as a batbug.
    All the information I read about batbugs on-line seems to be contradicted by other sites.
    I'm so confused by everything I'm reading and don't know how to proceed. I feel like I need some basic knowledge before I call an exterminator because so many of the "bedbugs experts" I called (when I thought we had bedbugs) gave conflicting advice.
    Thank you in advance if there's anyone here that can help.

That's interesting that the dog didn't alert on a bat bug considering it's a species of Cimex. The dog wouldn't alert on Cimex hemipterus either in that case? The canine wasn't taught to differentiate between different species of Cimex so it's interesting that it didn't alert to the bat species here. I've had other teams alert to bat bugs and also bed bugs. It would be nice if you could post a picture and link it here.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

265,319 posts in 42,984 topics over 129 months by 18,860 of 19,418 members. Latest: wouldliketosleepagain, Jweesh, Bert230