Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Clothes Steamer usefulness?

(3 posts)
  1. aaghbugs

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 21 2008 22:46:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I am considering buying a clothes steamer to help combat the bugs (not just bed bugs one so it has long term utility). Has anyone tried using a clothes steamer to attack bed bug hiding spots? I'd be grateful for tales of success/failure or any advice?

I have read that steam may neutralize PCO chemicals, so I would only use in non-sprayed areas such as furniture (inside dressers, desks etc) or right before a treatment.
    I have also heard that "wet" steam can cause mold, which is a risk.

2. nightsnack

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 2 2009 18:43:58
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have a dry steamer in NYC, can I borrow it for a fee? I just can't afford to buy one. And I'm done with chemicals that don't work.

3. nycbedbugsbegone

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 21 2010 16:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I was hesitant to buy a clothes steamer because I wasn't sure if it heats up enough to kill bugs and eggs. Temperature is very important. I was also wondering how easily you could move it around the room/ house they seem quite large. A pco had recommended I get a small steamer ( a shark) and steam my bedroom when the infestation was light. However, I steamed without knowing that I couldn't have so much steam and pressure coming out the nozzle. Small steamers don't have controls to control the steam flow. Only a small amount of steam should be coming out the nozzle (flowing slowly) But the Shark (dripped out so much water) and I didn't steam slowly but rather quickly. At the end the floor/ mattress was wet, it made the problem worse. And before I started I had no patience. Steaming any furniture takes a lot of time and patience. What I mean is set aside a couple hours to prepare and steam.

When using any steamer it is recommended that you get a dry steamer (which means more steam comes out the nozzle than water). Also, they run at very high temps over 150 degrees, but these can be very expensive.

If I could do it over, I would have bought a small hand held vacuum with a bag attachment and vaccumed 1st everywhere, bed, frame, wall borders, floor, closet. Then organized my bedroom and then steamed using the triangular attachment and a towel over the attachment, and I would have steamed every inch of my bedroom slowly, understanding this might be a couple hours or work, and I would have done this procedure 1x a week for a couple months cause it takes a couple months to know they are really gone. I also would have just bought 90% alchol to spray down my bedframe and some belongings. When steaming take your time and be consistent. It should be a weekly routine.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,309 posts in 28,319 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter