Clinical Significance of Mites in Urine

(4 posts)
  1. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 14:19:45
    #

Login to Send PM

In reference to some of our past mite discussions.
    I though that I would put this out for all to comment.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1317186

2. mangycur

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jul 12 2008 15:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

you know, I am the type of person who loves learning science stuff, and loves gross body stuff, but every once in a while I encounter something that I actually wish I had not learned. The thought that I might pee mite eggs, and have normal mite infestations in my eyelashes--actually kind of don't want to know that. LOL

So, LTDAN, Thanks and no thanks at the same time!

3. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2008 10:16:47
    #

Login to Send PM

In doing my research on bed bugs I have come across so much interesting information.
    It appears to me that the toughest problem people are battling, after the initial infestation has been dealt with, is looking for some answer to the experience of mystery bites or in other words skin reactions but see no bugs no matter how hard they inspect.
    This puzzles me so and I constantly search for answers. I also like to bring attention to a find such as the above mentioned to make us all aware of other possibilities and to hear what everyone thinks. Many months ago we all learned that mites may be an answer to the mystery bite problem and since then I have noticed a few news stories of people and their homes being infested with mites, mainly bird mites. In the past decade or so we have learned of Lyme and West Nile, bed bugs, mites etc... measles have also been in the news. What does this all mean? I wonder if in some way this all can be related. Is this due to the banning of certain pesticides which the most famous is DDT. I think that I am correct in stating that DDT was never found to cause cancer in people but had something to do with certain birds where the bird eggs had become thin due to DDT and environmentalist were concerned. Some say that certain pests such as the bed bug were building up a resistance to DDT anyways and the ban does not contribute to their latest uprising. Part of me have great concerns for the birds effected by DDT but part of me wonders if the banning of certain chemicals was a good idea. I love animals but I put people as our number one priority, people come first. I suspect that this post will get much comment from some and I welcome it.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 14 2008 12:34:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

One of the main bird species affect by DDT were Eagles as they sit at the top of the food chain and seem to feed on a larger number of DDT infected sources.

There are studies showing very high levels of DDT resistance in Bed Bug samples in the lab so even if it came back into use it is unlikely to be effective.

Much better idea to push for state aid and support for developing new niche pest control products specifically targeted at Bed Bugs so that the rest of the insect population does not get resistant to them.

David

PS Yes a lot of the mites are naturally present on most people. I remember one of the UK tabloid papers declaring as a head ling look whats bonking your eye lashes, they feed on dead skin particles and matter and are not usually a problem for people.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bedbug infestations in domestic and commercial settings. The patent numbers are GB2463953 and GB2470307.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,369 posts in 28,325 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter