Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Climb-Up Interceptors effective?

(9 posts)
  1. hathead

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2009 12:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

we've put climb-up interceptors on our beds and on a pet bed after 2 pesticide and 2 thermal treatments. i think we still have bugs in the office (some suspicious bites that i didn't think were mosquito bites...acquired after lying on the rug in there) but the climbups have not captured a thing (except for some ants/spidery looking things, and some really small skinny-shaped things...)

have any of you known you had the bedbugs for sure, and still caught nothing in the climb-ups?

is it possible that we have bedbugs still, and they are too smart to try the climbups?or is our infestation so light there aren't enough motivated bugs?
    or (we should be so lucky) the bugs are truly gone and i've just got that nervous BB mentality which will take quite some time to abate...?

2. hathead

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2009 12:47:25
    #

Login to Send PM

last thermal treatment was 1

3. hathead

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2009 12:48:17
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry, jumpy laptop

the last thermal treatment was 10 days ago (we for sure had bugs before that)
    and we put the interceptors right after the treatment...

4. never_again

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Aug 22 2009 15:22:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump.

This is a question i have as well, i bought the interceptors for preventative measures for my current 'bedbug scare.' This scare has been worse than any other over the 2 years since the first infestation at a different place. At this poin i am pretty sure there has been a small infestation in my appartment. I have sprayed Suspend SC, i have washed, i have plastered, i have caulked... every week or so a few bites show up on my arm or knee, they seem like BB bites but my brain wants denial, and i can't live with the possibility of spreading them.

I have had the interceptors in place for almost three weeks. For 2 weeks nothing showed up, this week i found what looks like 4 grouped bites on my arm that swell when irritated. So far the interceptors have caught a spider, a spider beetle, and a silverfish - No BB's. So there's proof they can catch something.

In the last 6 weeks of being paranoid i haven't seen a single BB, in a climp-up or elsewhere. At this point i think i will hire a K9, maybe they can help me feel better about stepping into another house (even though i do everything i can to make sure nothing exposed leaves).

Not sure if any of this info helps, sorry for the sob story, but its gotta come out somewhere.

I just don't want bed bugs

5. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 3:46:44
    #

Login to Send PM

6. hathead

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 12:23:33
    #

Login to Send PM

thank you dr. frank
    it sounds as though the interceptor experience is quite a mixed bag.
    maybe some of us have smart bed bugs and only those of us with stupid bed bugs get them in the interceptors....
    oy

7. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Aug 23 2009 14:16:55
    #

Login to Send PM

When professionally conducted research is available, I value it over anecdotes from internet message boards: http://www.pctonline.com/articles/article.asp?ID=3434

8. DistressInBrooklyn

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 11:30:11
    #

Login to Send PM

the climb up threads are really helpful, thanks!

after some resistance (purely a monetary one) we have bought our first batch of climbups, for our bed and for a clothing rack. question -- we are in the middle of our treatment, and expect to get a third treatment next week.

do we tell the PCO to avoid spraying the climbups? or can we just re-powder them with baby powder after he is done with the spray? will there be some benefit to residual being in the climbups along with the talc?

please respond, thanks! i'm totally fine with repowdering and reusing them, i just don't want to waste $60 if they will be useless after a PCO visit.

9. DrFrank

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Aug 24 2009 14:14:46
    #

Login to Send PM

If I were you, I'd remove the climb-ups before the poison was applied.

The most significant question is whether or not it'll deter the bed bugs: You really don't want that.

Who knows what it will do to the plastic? Who knows if you'll be able to remove it?

If you're concerned about bugs climbing onto the bed during the time that the poison is being applied and you're not present, you might temporarily replace the climb-ups with plastic yogurt containers or glass bowls/jars.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.