Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Climb Up Interceptors and Passive Monitoring Combo - Bad Idea?

(6 posts)
  1. BeastlyThings

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 17 2017 13:27:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I read in the FAQs that combining Climb Up Interceptors and Passive Monitoring in not a good idea, however it doesn't explain why? I am setting up a monitoring system for a suspected small infestation in one bedroom. Would it be better, from a monitoring perspective, to use both? Can someone explain this?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 17 2017 14:42:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The reason why we do not recommend both is that isolating the bed can potentially slow down detection with Passive Monitors which is the opposite of what we want.

In 2007 we tested treatments with and without isolation and found that isolated beds took longer to clear and took more treatment visits to clear. This is the time that we decided to crack on and develop our own approach because of the field results we observed when testing what was being heavily recommended.

In short the promise of being bite free came at a cost of having bed bugs for longer and that never really worked for me.

Using Passive Monitors alone and not isolating the beds means that any bed bugs which are introduced to the room behave normally and will seek a harbourage close to food. As the Passive Monitor provides the optimal harbourage they set up home in there and in doing so start to leave tell tale faecal trace signs on the detection skirt. This enables you to detect them quickly and without having to actually look at an insect itself (something that really helps given the fact that some many people find them anxiety triggering).

We have also found that from an preventative perspective routine (monthly or weekly if you suspect an issue) can help you to catch the problem quickly enough that an intensive treatment is simply not required, you deep cleanse the room and replace the monitor.

Its basically how we QA and QC our work in domestic and commercial treatment settings.

Its an emotive subject and I know I am in the minority in practicing this way but as I have recently written in the new book on bed bugs there are many reasons why isolation does not work on a large scale, least of all the regular maintenance that this approach requires.

Hope that explains.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. BeastlyThings

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed May 17 2017 20:43:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your response, David. My concern at this point is identifying if we have a bed bug problem. I have had just a few bites and can find no signs of bed bugs with a visual inspection. I am not concerned about whether or not I get bit and I am not at all squeamish about bugs. Treatment is something I'm not concerned with yet. My thought was that using both Climb Ups and a passive monitor would be an effective way of catching and identifying any bugs that might be present. The Climb Ups would catch any bugs that are harboured away from the bed even before they discovered the passive monitor. Or am I missing something here? I understand your concerns about maintenance with the Climb Ups. Since we are currently only trying to catch bugs for indentification purposes, this in not intended as a long-term strategy.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu May 18 2017 6:05:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I appreciate the apparent logic but from my reality and experience we get faster results with just the Passive Monitor and no isolation.

We know from the observations of others that some bed bugs make a clear decision not to fall into the pitfall ring of isolation devices. These deterred bed bugs will be forced to investigate a wider potential area than would have been needed if they were not present.

This artificial barrier changes the insects behavior and natural pattern of colonizing an area. As anyone who understanding tracking and hunting will confirm its always more successful when you understand the natural behavior of the organism. On my first wildlife safari last year I saw 4 of the big 5 in a matter of 6 hours covering less than 1% of the total area of the Kruger national park. Given that my friend who was driving had been on 75+ safari trips (she was local) and had never before seen a wild leopard in a tree. Yes part of that is being in the right place at the right time but that was only possibly because we read the signs as to what was going on and circled one area repeatedly until we were able to pick up the leopard signs.

Sadly the image does not capture the raw sleek power of this most magnificent animal:

IMG_5318zoomededited by David Cain, on Flickr

Equally this shot, where one bird is landing and one taking off. I was not positioned waiting for it to happen for minutes or hours. I had just started to focus on the bird on the right and had enough time to take 2 frames as the one came in from the left, the whole thing was over in 45 seconds.

IMG_5371cropped by David Cain, on Flickr

I am not sure if it is normal behavior for this species of bird to only have one protecting the roost while the other hunts but it instinctively seemed logical to me that the arrival of one bird may disturb the other, allowing that shot.

I have spent countless hours observing and challenging bed bugs in real and artificial settings which have allowed me to hypothesize things such as their different ways of walking on different surfaces long before we had electron microscopy data to show us the physiology that enables this.

Now back to bed bugs, we don't know what percentage display this avoidance behavior but the reality with bed bugs is that you have to get a very high kill rate on the first treatment to disrupt the life cycle and population dynamics. When you consider that the initial introduction might be small anything that delays them being detectable will always something I personally avoid int he way that I work.

I can also assure you that given that the concept is un-patentable due to prior art if I wanted to "get into that game" I would have many years ago. On a practicalities level a single piece product of this nature is something that I could turn out rapidly and have investigated some awesome IP on surface coatings that would negate most of the maintenance issues. However, it will never overcome my initial decision criteria of "is it the best that we can do". I am even certain I could do this out of 99% recycled materials.

If I was looking for the easy root I would have done a deal with the "dark side" when they asked me first in 2010.

So, yes long way of saying if its fast you want it's just the one product you want to use.

David

5. BeastlyThings

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri May 19 2017 12:11:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again for the explanation, David. Nice safari pics!!! I will pretend to be on safari as I inspect my bedroom, LOL.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Fri May 19 2017 13:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi BeastlyThings,

A little role play in the bedroom is sometimes just whats needed and if you need to relax there is a gallery full of images from Safari and God's window which can help "take you there".

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

257,195 posts in 41,256 topics over 125 months by 18,080 of 18,499 members. Latest: Mendace, astephe2, Cmarie32