cleared history on bed bug registry?

(12 posts)
  1. kc99

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 15:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, I have been using bedbugregistry.com to look up several sites in the Philadelphia area, and have noticed that for the past week or so, many if not all of the reports have been cleared. I tried emailing the support address provided on the website, but have not yet received a reply, so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone knows what might be going on.

2. peppy

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 17:07:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed the same thing. I have had problems with the site over the past week or two--initially, if I typed in an address it would say "no nearby reports," but then if I typed in a nearby address (something a block or two away) it would come up as a report. The same thing is happening now, but additionally I have seen at least one property that I know had a report last week and now doesn't have any.

3. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 17:09:43
    #

Login to Send PM

I've seen some postings here that suggest that hotels may get removed from the registry by reporting that they have been treated and the situation resolved. More cynical posters have suggested that they are buying their way off the registry. Anyway they seem to disappear fairly quickly. There was an interesting post about a hotel sueing visitors who posted on an internet site about bed bugs being in the hotel. The hotel said that they inspected the room and found no evidence of bed bugs and are taking them to court for damages to reputation, loss of business etc.

4. czguest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 5 2011 17:49:40
    #

Login to Send PM

i noticed a clearing of reports too. there are no reports around my building now- but there were several months ago when i last looked.

5. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 10:33:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I've heard that the registry is not a 100% reliable source too because hotels can get their names cleared and posts disappear etc etc I will still continue to check it when I travel though.

6. BugsInTO

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Jul 6 2011 11:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed a change in the Bedbug Registry. I think the history of postings is still at the address level, but the maps don't seem to be reflecting the near-by postings.

In the past, if I went to a individual posting, the map on the right-hand side would show the near-by reportings by both an address list and with a red dot on the map. Now, it only shows the single red dot for the individual posting and no near-by reports.

I have been following the spread of reports along major streets in my neighbourhood and it is visually very easy to see the spread on the map. Right now, this isn't working. I am waiting to see if they are working on the site.

7. kc99

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 0:14:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, thanks for adding your input to this. So I'm not crazy...I thought a lot of little red dots disappeared. Hopefully the change will be reversed at some point. That site was incredibly helpful.

8. Blue_Ox

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 8 2011 1:11:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed this recently about the McKibbin Lofts, which were notorious bedbug-infested buildings in Brooklyn. There were articles and blogs about the problem there, which was apparently quite widespread throughout the building.

If you check the addresses of the lofts, 248 McKibbin St and 255 McKibbin St. in Brooklyn, it seems that all the reports (and there are only 4 total between the two addresses) are posted within the past 3 weeks or so.

I am quite sure I looked at the reports for those addresses in the long ago past (around the time the articles came out) and there were plenty of reports on there. So it looks like they were all cleared. Seems odd to me. Guess that site is not too reliable.

edited to say that I found that many reports are listed under the wrong spelling of McKibbin (it's spelled McKibben on the site) and that there are 12 reports for 255 "McKibben"

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 11:36:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I checked in with Maciej Ceglowski, who runs The Bed Bug Registry, and this was his response (which he said I could post here):

Thanks for sharing that with me! I'm not sure quite what your readers are referring to but I can assure them it's not a result of my taking anything down. More likely is a technical glitch or mistake I've made; I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's up. And if anyone wants to email me about specific reports I'll be happy to investigate.

So please do follow up with Maciej, if you have concerns about specific things you've noticed. His email is visible at the bottom of his website.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 15:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs do you concur it's appropriate here to point people to the other current thread...

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/nyc-map-of-bedbug-location-what-is-best-online-map

...where there's a bit of a discussion about how registries etc. are inherently incomplete, unreliable, out-of-date and so on, even aside from any question of sabotage or bribes or whatever.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jul 12 2011 19:43:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, but there's a big difference between voluntary registries being incomplete (which they will always be, by nature), and registries that are incomplete due to posts being removed or disappearing due to technical glitches (neither of which we've verified is happening).

12. kc99

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jul 24 2011 17:32:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all, Just checked up on this again. Thanks so much for the follow-up. I see that the "nearby reports" are showing up again for the areas where I was searching. Thanks!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,692 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82