Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Clarification on "black specks"

(28 posts)
  1. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 19:31:44
    #

Login to Send PM

The black specks that I'm looking for... if I find it on a flat surface, would it be like marks stuck pretty good onto that surface? Or would it be like black dust that I could actually move around with my fingers if I touched it?

Thanks!

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 19:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In most cases if the surface is porous they will soak in. I generally say if you blow on it and it moves its not a bed bug faecal trace.

There are lots of close up images on the gallery of my site if you want to do a visual comparison. The new gallery appearing soon will actually be more interactive so you can see the key features of each image.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited
    http://www.Bed-Bugs.co.uk

3. myLifeinZiplocs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 22:08:25
    #

Login to Send PM

doesn't bb poop also dissolve a bit when you wet it? Say if I lick my finger and then rub the black specks, they should dissolve into a sort of brown/red color, right?

4. JimmyChanga

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 22:30:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks to both of you for the quick answers!

5. goodriddens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Jan 2 2009 23:16:04
    #

Login to Send PM

My rule of thumb when it comes to inspecting 'droppings', a new hobby of mine... is I take a tissue and smear it-if it smears into blood colored or black goo, its a dropping. Though I did have a false alarm with mascara flakes... But a general rule of thumb for me.

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Jan 3 2009 0:35:24
    #

Login to Send PM

What you describe is more like SoCal roach droppings.

Jim

7. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Feb 8 2009 20:33:40
    #

Login to Send PM

goodriddens - 1 month ago  » 
    My rule of thumb when it comes to inspecting 'droppings', a new hobby of mine... is I take a tissue and smear it-if it smears into blood colored or black goo, its a dropping. Though I did have a false alarm with mascara flakes... But a general rule of thumb for me.

I use this rule of thumb myself although I use a finger. Although I should use a tissue. Check it out.

[+] Embed the videoGet the Flash Videos

8. MyWorstFear

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 0:03:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Ewwwww!
    I full expected the last words to be
    "Coming Soon to a Bed Near YOU!!!!!"

9. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 0:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

great video Bedbugdude - thank you for posting it,

aawww 'Fear...don't be grossed out - you don't have them anymore!!

10. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 0:51:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 24 minutes ago  » 
    great video Bedbugdude - thank you for posting it,
    aawww 'Fear...don't be grossed out - you don't have them anymore!!

Hey thanks adele!

Most of the pics in my videos are of actual bed bug cases I have completed myself.
    I've seen quite a bit in the last 5 years. Check out my other vids

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Feb 9 2009 2:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hear hear! Gnarly videos!

Jim

12. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 12 2009 17:28:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all I was just wondering if my videos are helpful, truthful of knowledge, and a good eye opener to some. I guess most people are too freaked out to comment ( on you-tube that is ) or rate the videos after watching them. I just want to educate people on bed bugs and how they get around, what they looke like and the evidence they leave behind.

Also I'm kind of stumped on my next video. Dose anyone have any suggestions? Have I left out critical information in my previous videos that you think I should add? Or better yet should I take some things out? Constructive ctritisism is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

bedbugdude

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 1:30:59
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbugdude,

My main suggestion would be: shorter is better. More people will watch a 1.5 or 2 minute video than an 8 minute one. I thought it was good but was a bit slow/long.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  14. karrieg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 4:50:49
    #

Login to Send PM

good video...where can i find more? what about after you have washed and dried clothing/ bedding will spots remain stained there?

15. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 9:27:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input ladies and gents.

Yeah they sure are long but but there is so much information and in production I was worried if I sped things up I wouldn't leave enought time for the viewers to read amongst the chaos of the back ground images.

Karrieg you have a good question about the clothing. I can only suggest one thing when it comes to clothing. Bag up your clothes, take them to the wash. carefully remove the clothes from the bag and put them in the washer. Squeeze out all the air in the bag out gently and tie it off again and throw it away. Wash and dry your clothing and put the fresh clothing in NEW bags. Take them back to your place and put them in the closet and don't open the bags until your bed bugs are gone. Before you do all that set aside 10 days worth of clothes you can wear over the treatments so your not wearing the same thing every day.

And I haven't tried it yet myself but from the mattresses I've seen my guess is that when you spray anything from Raid to clorox the bed bug feces will just bleed into the fabric and that's it. It's in there for good.

16. karrieg

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 12:05:35
    #

Login to Send PM

im thinking the length of the movie is fine...if paeople really want to know about what is going on when they get these bugs they will take thier time to watch it. and its way more important to get the full amount of info rather than haveing 500 questions after seeing a movie for a minute that didn't tell you every thing.people need to slow down in this world some times to look at the full prospective. aplause to you for a gob well done on the video.

17. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 16:46:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I really like the video fade to a close up shot, for a better view, of a specific area.

Very well done stuff for people to see things to look for in a "reality V" kinda way.

You have one of a real bad infestation, how about one where there was very scant evidence in a small case?

Jim

18. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 13 2009 17:27:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input once again Karrieg.

Hey Jim, yeah I have some footage I took just this week of a very low infestation. The only evidence was 2-3 droppings on a baseboard just under the carpet line. With my camera I took a shot reveiling a cast sking I missed, stuck between the fibers of the carpet.

Oh and just yesterday, crazy day. I get a call for "flies" in an apartment.
    I get there and it's not flies it's indian meal moths. I run back to the truck to get the proper supplies to handle that and when I return I noticed a few larva in the hallway to the bedrooms. I spray that lil guy down and just as I was about to go back to the kitchen I see a bed bug nymph! I snap a quick picture and show the tenants. I inspect the bedrooms and nothing. Nothing on the beds, baseboards, behind picture frames, dressers- nothing but that one nymph. Then I started asking questions. Glad I did. First off the tenant had just returned last night from Inda. And sure enough the place where he stayed, his relatives house, was infested. Just as he told me that I spotted a bed bug on the door behind him.

I have a 3d program and I'm working on making objects that are common in the regular bed room. I have to map them all up and then animate the camera, add text and audio the whole works. I want to illustrate an infestation and show how quickly it can spread. I want to do it in a 3rd person perspective of the bed bug itself. Hiding by day, laying eggs and pooping all over the place to the hunt for a feed at night, traumatic insemination, casting skins - the whole deal. But this will take months.

19. Adele

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 4:06:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugdude - I am not sure where you are going to post a video that graphic - that kind of gory detail plays well here because we've seen them, been there done that but to the average YouTube watcher it may be too graphic - especially showing the traumatic insemination parts

may be better for your website archives if you are building one

20. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 10:48:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Adele - 5 hours ago  » 
    Bedbugdude - I am not sure where you are going to post a video that graphic - that kind of gory detail plays well here because we've seen them, been there done that but to the average YouTube watcher it may be too graphic - especially showing the traumatic insemination parts
    may be better for your website archives if you are building one

Oh those aren't my videos. Those are other users videos that are saved in my favorites. Those videos I find very interesting because of the indepth incredible footage. So interesting. I'm obsessed with bed bugs and just when I think I've heard it all I stumble across another bit of information or video that blows me away.

I make my videos to educate people on bed bugs and how they get around. I made them basically for the people I meet week in week out that actually think bed bugs aren't real and just something you say to your kids as they go off to bed. And I also made these videos to make people understand how serious bed bug infestations can be and why. And that's because out of nearly 5 years of combatting bed bugs in apartment buildings not one person has done 100% to prepare for my visit. Not one. Some accounts I know we should just walk away from because we are going to loose our shirt due to layziness and not caring at all.

For instance just yeasterday for the, I forgot how many times it's been perhaps this was the 20th visit and I'm not kidding, umpteenth time a tenant has not only done absolutely NOTHING to prep for my visit but the conditions of clutter and housekeeping have gotten worse over the months to where now I'm doing service for roaches, fruit flies and drain flies on top of bed bugs. Bah, who am I kidding here? There are people who live with bed bugs ,among other pests ,and have no problem with it. They live with them for years and don't say anything about it. I call them "Artists". Because they paint their walls by smashing bed bugs as a hobby and daily routine of their lives. If can make just one person understand how serious and how difficult it is to get rid of bed bugs if they don't follow instructions that would be great.

21. kpabarue

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 11:25:14
    #

Login to Send PM

AH! Woke up this morning with black streaks on the top of my top sheet (I only slept with that last night). They could have been there last night, I suppose, but I didn't notice them. This morning I certainly did. Didn't wear any mascara to bed, so it couldn't be that...

[url=http://s629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/kpabarue/?action=view&current=IMG_2081.jpg][/url]

Anyone? There's another one on the stream, too.

22. ResponsibleJT

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 11:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

kpabarue

You could have rolled over on one in the evening and crushed it then moving and causing staining. Have you installed a protect a bed cover? When you started did you dis assemble the bed and inspect the cracks and crevices?

Jeff

23. kpabarue

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 11:43:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Jeff,

The streaks are very very tiny. I suppose they COULD be from a squished bug, though... The mattress and box spring are both encased with protect a bed. The bed frame was inspected and treated 2 weeks ago (that was the most recent time).

24. ResponsibleJT

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 11:51:39
    #

Login to Send PM

You've been at this awhile from the posts I have seen. My initial inclination would be to remove the sheet and inspect the zipper area for bedbugs and the black fecal spotting. If either are present and not there before there may have been some missed on the last treatment. How long did they spend on your visit 2 weeks ago? and how many visits have you had? Are you in a multi unit building or a single family home? I am new to the forum and not up to speed on your situation.

Jeff

25. ResponsibleJT

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 12:02:21
    #

Login to Send PM

kpabarue,

I went back to your original threads and read your posts and have a better idea of what your situations is.

On the first service did the company basically disassembles the bed and frame and go over every crack and crevice with a spot treatment type of injection either aerosol or tank? (Spot treatment meaning a little tube like you find on a WD-40 can to get into each crack and crevice) Is you have carpeting in the room is they pull it back and treat beneath the carpet at the area where it meets the wall? (Especially by the bed) Did they go through all of the furniture in the room drawer by drawer in a similar manor? Were switch plates removed and treatment made into all wall voids? If any thing was hanging on the walls in the affected room were they removed inspected and possibly treated? It is a systematic approach to follow to take care of them. It also takes a tech who wants be treating to do a good job.

26. kpabarue

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 13:10:57
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO was great. He was incredibly thorough, took his time, and looked at everything. Everything was treated. He was very knowledgeable, and I trust him. He didn't see any activity while he was here, but that doesn't mean that they aren't coming from somewhere else in my building, I guess.

Any ideas on whether the smudges are bed bug related, though?

27. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 15:27:55
    #

Login to Send PM

kpabarue, I looked over your pictures. And while I can't say 100% based on looking at them online, I will tell you most comfortably what you're looking at is not fecal or bed bug related.

28. kpabarue

ACCOUNT CLOSED

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Feb 14 2009 17:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, KQ. That's what I'm hoping...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.