Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Christmas and BBs

(13 posts)
  1. nyjammin

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 20:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Since Christmas is coming upon us and Hanukkah has passed, do you think that Jesus or the people in Egypt during the Pharoh's times had bbs? Moses?

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Dec 16 2007 22:29:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs have been around a lot longer than either christmas or hanukkah. I would assume they predate humans. They were most assuredly around in that time.

3. NotSoSnug

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 0:32:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read that some bat bugs adapted to humans in caves they shared long ago and eventually became a separate species, preferrential to humans solely. To accept this one has to agree with evolutionary adaptation and cave dwelling humans. Otherwise I can't say.

4. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 1:14:04
    #

Login to Send PM

i wonder if anyone has done in-depth historical research on bedbugs? everything historical that i have read about the critters talks about either a) infestations in the 1700s or b) the cave dwelling batbugs.

where, exactly, would you find evidence of bedbugs in an archaeological dig for example? that would be so interesting!

5. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 1:27:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Jammin, this might be interesting to you: http://slog.thestranger.com/2007/07/bedbugs_be_gone

And for you, lil_bit: http://www.antiquity.ac.uk/ant/073/Ant0730908.htm

Happy Holidays!

6. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 1:55:43
    #

Login to Send PM

hopelessnomo, you are brilliant! i do so love archaeology. unfortunately i would need a subscription to read it, but it sounds soooo good.

you're like a walking bedbug library! haha.

7. NotSoSnug

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 2:05:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Anything from Sumer or Babylon? "By the waters, the waters of Babylon, we lay down and itched, and itched for thee Zion."

8. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 2:21:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ah-HAH! found the archaeology article - university library database. muah-hah-hah.

9. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 2:31:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Now I'm jealous. Truth is I have never actually read it, 15 pounds being a small fortune. Now you know my secret.

Please do summarize for us.

Best...

10. lil_bit_obsessed

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 2:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

ahhh, yes, the university database that i got it from is free if you have student access. good thing, i couldn't afford to buy it either. you can pm me your email address if you'd like, and i'll send you the pdf file. it's very short, and talks about fossilized bedbug remains found at an egyptian site that was lived in for over 25 years, first to house tomb builders, and then perhaps to house guards.

there is also an interesting discussion about the potential links between the human version of the bedbug and the pigeon version. good article for sure. thanks again for suggesting it!

p.s. nyjammin, to answer your earlier question: according to this article fossilized bedbugs have been found in human residences in egypt that are over 3550 years old! so they were likely kicking around in the time frame that you asked about...

11. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 11:43:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks!

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Dec 17 2007 11:55:41
    #

Login to Send PM

What a bunch of smarties!

Oh, and I can assure you that Hopelessnomo actually IS a walking library. She astounds me in her range and ability to retain references.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. currentinsomniac

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Dec 18 2007 20:30:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Archaeologists have found bed bug fossil remains in Egypt....so we know they've been around at least 3000 years.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,362 posts in 46,556 topics over 141 months by 20,532 of 21,395 members. Latest: Bedbugvaca, jidhvs1, Darrellkking