Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Cheapest Way To Get Rid Of Bedbugs Efficiently!

(10 posts)
  1. PhenominalBeauty

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 18:39:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Back in Feb of this year I discovered probably the most horrible thing I could discover & that was that I had bed bugs! Not to sound like a drama queen, but for someone who is deathly afraid of insects or bugs of any kind, this was like being in a nightmare that I could not awake from! Before common sense had even entered my mind on what they were, I first awakened in the night to extreme itching! They first looked like welts & my first impression is that I was breaking out in hives. Thought nothing of it. About a couple of days later, I had the same type of welts on my face! I was always allergic to insect bites such as mosquitoes, but i was like WTF?! I was like, wait a minute, something is not right here! Then all hell broke loose a few days after then when i felt itching that awakened me out of my sleep & i immediately jumped up & ran to turn on the lights to see a small, flat brownish red bug sitting on my pillow!

To try & make a long story short, i tried every over the counter repellent on bed bugs i could find & nothing worked. I even mentioned my problem to the apt complex manager where i live, who refused to do anything about it! I ended up dumping my mattress & boxspring because I was too paranoid to sleep on it at that point. I called exterminators who said they would charge $300 just to have a dog come sniff out my apt to see if that's what they really were! On top of that, they would charge about $700-$800 to come out for 3 treatments. I don't know about you, but I do not have this type of money! I was becoming so discouraged. I have a small 2 bedroom apartment & they were biting my daughter & I every couple of days. Not to mention, her & I are both allergic to the bites & they swell 3 or 4 times the normal size! I was literally depressed & in tears! Something had to be done! I even prayed on it! I researched on line vehemently until I came upon a product called Temprid SC. It had nothing but rave reviews, so at that point i was willing to try anything! I went to the local Home Depot & purchased a typical household sprayer bottle & waited for the Temprid SC to come. It only took a few days to receive & I was grateful. I was on a mission from that point on!

Luckily I don't have that much furniture. My entire apartment is carpeted, but I did not care. I lifted up all the carpet and the padding to discover nothing but cracked cement floors. I sprayed from one end of the wall to the other. First the cemented floor, then on top of the padding, then on top of the carpet! I did this for once a week for 2 months. I felt like freaking Rambo on a vigilante mission, but whatever! It's been 3 months now & so far so good! I can honestly say I don't know if they are completely gone, but i haven't seen any! I can even actually go to sleep without paranoia & having to leave the lights on for 2 months straight! (And forget what you heard or read about them only coming out in the daytime. That's all BS!) I just put down some more yesterday because I don't want to get too comfortable & they knock me out of my comfort zone. I am not the type who writes on blogs, but I really wanted to be able to help someone who is suffering with what I went thru. I don't have the time to go into every thing I went thru but......Ugggh, I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy! So, once again....please, please try Temprid SC! And remember to be vigilante, they are NOT going to go away over night. And for those who have a really bad infestation problem, try purchasing Gentrol to mix with it as well. Gentrol is a IGR (Insect GrowthRegulator) which prevents bedbugs from reproducing. Good luck!!!!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 18:58:43
    #

Login to Send PM

At least one study has shown Gentrol may make bed bugs more active.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. PhenominalBeauty

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 19:00:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Really? I have not read that but i certainly hope it does not. I haven't had any problems so far *knocks on wood.

4. blargg

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 19:49:08
    #

Login to Send PM

...so, you spotted one bug, correct? Sounds like you caught it early. Others may not be so lucky...

5. PhenominalBeauty

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 20:02:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh nooooo! There were definitely more than 1 bug. I discovered that I had bed bugs in early Feb '11. I had tried everything until i discovered Temprid at the end of April '11. I just don't think my infestation was that bad. Because had it been, I'd surely would have gone insane by now. I kept a record everytime my daughter or I was bitten. In the beginning it was like a few bites here & there until about April when there were fresh bites every couple of days It's still too early to tell if they are gone completely, but I'm just happy that I have some sense of relief. Don't want to jinx myself. I wish I had seen this forum beforehand. I had no idea there are so many people who are going thru what i went thru. I truly thought I was alone. As I said before, I would not wish this experience on anyone, but it does give a small comfort knowing that I am not alone in this.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 6 2011 21:15:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I hope you did get rid of your bed bugs, Phenomenal.

It's totally fine that you shared what you did here. However, I don't recommend that others simply implement your methods. Bed bugs can be difficult to treat -- not only are there risks involved in applying pesticides, but due to repellency, you can also make bed bug problems harder to eliminate -- and I do not recommend doing your own bed bug treatments unless it is absolutely the only available option.

And in that case, rather than follow a random internet user's plan, people really need to do their research and make sure they are doing this as safely and effectively as possible. This means doing some reading (our FAQs and the Comprehensive Guides listed in the Resources page are a good start), asking a lot of questions of someone who is qualified to answer them (eg a professional), and carefully following the labeling instructions on any pesticides used.

7. Rosae

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 7:10:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, does the Temprid have a smell?

8. Wunder Dog

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 9:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question for "Phenomanal Beauty"...are you a licensed Pest Management Professional? I'm curious as to how u where able to purchase "Temprid" as i was under the impression it is "illegal to purchase and use these products without a state issued extermanators license" (NY State).

Thanks!

PS: Either way i'm glad to hear you no longer have an issue with bedbugs!

9. Wunder Dog

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 9:07:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I have a question for "Phenomanal Beauty"...are you a licensed Pest Management Professional? I'm curious as to how u where able to purchase "Temprid" as i was under the impression it is "illegal to purchase and use these products without a state issued extermanators license" (NY State).

Thanks!

PS: Either way i'm glad to hear you no longer have an issue with bedbugs!

10. so unsettling

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 7 2011 10:52:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Wunder Dog--anyone can buy any of this stuff. That is something I haven't been able to figure out. Why is it that, as you say, these are only to be used by licensed PCOS, but they are available all over the internet and delivered by ups or the us post office to residential addresses. New York residents may have a harder time, as the traffic of some pesticides into New York is prohibited. And maybe a few other places. But most people can get it without any problem.

Indeed, it is the simple availability of these products that is tempting so many people to bypass the PCO and do it more cheaply themselves, even though the failure rate is probably high.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.