(7 posts)
  1. NotGivingUp

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 12:12:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted this under Newcomers but it might be more appropriate here:

We discovered our uninvited guests in late May so have been dealing with them for about a month. We believe my husband brought them home from a hotel on a work trip. I first noticed one crawl across my ipad while reading in bed in the dark. This happened again a couple of nights later and I began to wonder what they were. When my husband mentioned a line of bug bites on his ankle I got worried. We lifted the mattress and I saw nothing but upon lifting the box spring we discovered their lair. Our sheets were dark red so we never noticed stains on them.

We really can't afford a PCO, but here are the steps we have taken so far and current results. Luckily we did a lot of research here first and and believe we have avoided a lot of mistakes. First we ordered mattress, pillow and box spring encasements and interceptor cups for our bed and our daughter's bed on Amazon, next day delivery. We sprayed the bed down with Murphy's Oil Soap and wiped it down thoroughly. We then used a professional clothing steamer to steam the wood side rails where the majority of the infestation seemed to be located. We also steamed the mattress and box springs and then encased them in fabric encasements. We tied the pillows in plastic garbage bags and put them in the garbage. The new pillows we placed in the encasements. Sheets and blanket were washed in hot water and dried at high temp for 60 min. We placed interceptor cups on all 4 legs of the bed and moved it a foot from the wall. (We needed XL because we have a large sleigh bed.) We sprayed the side rails and any unexposed raw wood with a bed bug spray. Finally we replaced the mattress and box spring (putting a layer of DE on top of the encased box spring before replacing the mattress) and made the bed.

First we sprayed the entire carpet with a bed bug killing spray. (Wearing masks.) Next we pulled back the carpet and laid down a line of DE along the baseboards. (Wearing masks.) We removed plates from the wall plugs and applied DE there. Then we sprinkled DE on the carpet throughout the room and vaccumed it up and then emptied the cup into a sealed bag and threw it away. We applied new DE on the carpet behind and under the bed and nightstands and it remains there for now.

So here is how we are doing so far. For the first 10 days or so we were collecting 6-8 bugs every morning in the interceptor cups, some adults and some nymphs. Always in the outer section meaning they were not coming from the bed. However on day 10 I found a nymph in the inner chamber, so we again stripped the bed, washed and dried the sheets, and resprayed the bed with the Murphy's Oil Soap and Bed Bug Killer. I found 2 more nymphs during this process. (They probably hatched from eggs in a crevice.) Now 15 days after this second bed process we have not had another bug in the inner chamber and my husband has had no more bites. (Apparently I do not react to bites.) When collecting bugs from the cups I use a small dixie cup with a small amount of rubbing alcohol and remove them from the cups with a q-tip dipped in the alcohol. It has now been about 30 days since beginning the battle. I am still finding bugs in the outer chamber of the cups, however we have been down to 1-2 a day for about the last week and they are always adults. I'm hoping this means any egg laying activity has ceased. They always seem pretty weak and half dead, probably from crawling through DE to get to the cups. They are almost always in the cups at the head of the bed.

We decided not to bag up clothing and rip apart the closets and drawers because 1) we do not want them to spread and 2) we want them to come out and be attracted to our bed.

We found no sign of bugs in my daughters bed upstairs but check the interceptor cups every couple days and thank goodness still no sign of them up there.

Sorry for the long missive. I feel like we have really made progress but don't want to delude ourselves. My husband has not had signs of new bites in a month. I know they can live a long time without a food source, but at the same time I don't think they would voluntarily go without food while we are lying there sleeping away and tempting them. Shouldn't they be getting really hungry by now? I keep hoping I am finding the last bug. We have even had 2 bug free mornings but then find one the next day. We would really welcome some input and comments. UPDATE: I wrote this last night. This morning was another bug free morning for our interceptor cups.

2. NotGivingUp

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 12:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Forgot to add that we are in a single family home, so at least do not have to deal with re-infestations coming from adjoining residences.

3. Livingagain

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 25 2017 23:02:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Seems like you guys have been doing a good job of thoughtfully following through on a plan. I hope it works out for you. One thing I'll mention in case things don't end up clearing right now is that in tests a dust called Cimexa was found to be much more effective than DE. It's not that expensive. You can apply it with a home paintbrush.

If you aren't treating the closet, etc. you may want to run dry clothes in the dryer so you aren't possibly spreading the bugs to work, friends or family. You should probably figure out precautions with shoes, and bags, etc.
    Good luck!

4. NotGivingUp

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 22:33:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Livingagain - 2 weeks ago  » 
    One thing I'll mention in case things don't end up clearing right now is that in tests a dust called Cimexa was found to be much more effective than DE. It's not that expensive. You can apply it with a home paintbrush.
    If you aren't treating the closet, etc. you may want to run dry clothes in the dryer so you aren't possibly spreading the bugs to work, friends or family. You should probably figure out precautions with shoes, and bags, etc.
    Good luck!

Thank you for the tips. Since the infestation seemed to be limited to our bedroom. We began keeping about a weeks worth of clothing in plastic bins in our dining room (after running load through the dryer first). We also do no keep anything that leaves the house, purses, laptops, phones etc. in the bedroom.

We made a lot of progress but were still getting a bug about every three days or so in the outer ring of the climbers. Probably those 5% guys who like to wander finally making their way home to roost. I was frustrated the DE didn't seem to be doing the job. I ordered Cimexa and a puffer applicator. Made the first application a week ago. I applied it around the perimeter of the bedroom and the walk in closet with a paintbrush. I used the puffer to apply it inside the dresser and nightstands with the drawers pulled out. I used the puffer to treat the upholstered chair and ottoman in the bedroom, the sofa and two upholstered chairs in our living room and my husbands swivel chair in his office. We have never seen signs of them there but I'm proceeding with an abundance of caution. I also did an application with the paintbrush around the perimeter of my daughter's bedroom upstairs. She has climbup cups on her bed and we have never found them in there but just trying to prevent them traveling there.

We have not seen a single bug in the climbup cups in the week since applying the Cimexa. I know it is too soon to say we are home free but I am very confident at this point we will beat this on our own. I'm guessing between the mattress and box spring protectors, the climbups, the spray, DE, Cimexa and applicator, we have spent about $200. I ordered three bottles of the Cimexa and only used one.

5. NotGivingUp

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Jul 13 2017 22:35:37
    #

Login to Send PM

P.S. I seriously wish we had started off with the Cimexa and skipped the DE. Probably the only thing at this point I would have done differently.

6. michelep

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 7:41:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Do u still get bitten? Where are you at now during this process? Im still fighting mine with a pco after 4 treatements now. Iv had them since April and feeling very hopeless. Good luck to u though i hope u finally rid urself of them!!

7. NotGivingUp

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jul 16 2017 18:22:19
    #

Login to Send PM

We have not been bitten since we protected (not isolated) our bed. We have a queen sized wood sleigh bed. We took it apart and sprayed it down entirely with a bed bug spray. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand. I didn't worry about the wood finish and it hasn't seemed to have damaged it. We encased the mattress and box springs with good quality encasements from Amazon. We needed the XL climbup interceptor cups for the legs. The metal bed rails had feet that touched the floor but I was able to undo a screw on each of them and swing them up off the floor. I also sprinkled DE on top of the box spring before replacing the mattress and puffed DE between the side rails and the box spring.

About two weeks after this process we started to find nymphs in the inner chamber of the cups, meaning they were coming from the bed. Probably from eggs we missed that hatched. We took apart the bed and repeated the entire process. It has almost been 2 months now and we have not found anything in the inner cups since then.

I think protecting the bed is imperative since bugs that can't feed, can't reproduce. We never stopped sleeping in the bed since we are the lure to attract them to the climbup cups. That is also important. Resist the urge to sleep on the sofa or a guest room, which will just cause them to spread.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

266,728 posts in 43,314 topics over 130 months by 18,989 of 19,568 members. Latest: bradleyheathhays, jaygee, AAT09