Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

CAUTION: Bed Bug Information Overload ! ! !

(6 posts)
  1. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2014 9:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Folks,

While many would agree that we can't learn enough about bed bugs, there comes a point in time where a consumer's research and learning process interfaces with the "law of diminishing marginal returns" and "information overload" occurs.

As an example, and this had nothing to do with bed bugs, some recent years ago our US fighter aircraft manufacturer's information technology abilities well out paced that of the pilot's ability to observe, understand and use the volume of information in a timely manner to the detriment of the pilot and airframe in combat situations. Simply stated, there was more information being presented that was useful or needed during critical times. Those interested can search and read more about this elsewhere.

Now, back to bed bugs; a case in point.

There's a bed bug victim located here in the US who has done "extensive research" to the point that he/she fancies him/herself as an advanced amateur bed bug expert. No doubt that this person is smart and well educated, mind you.

As a result or part of this research, no less than six companies were called in to provide their estimate and proposal for treating this home. Now, from speaking with this person numerous times the following observations are presented for your benefit:

> Information overload has kicked in and this person cannot make a decision.

> The information learned has cause this person to actually argue with the various pros on certain aspects of their control programs.

> While some programs seem attractive there are aspects with which this person disagrees.

> What's likely the worst factor is that, at this point in time, this person seems to have confused and intermingled the various program features of those pest professionals who have visited, inspected and provided estimates for the work to be done.

> The math as I see it now is as follows:
    smart person + online research + many estimates + emotions + personal opinions = Information Overload and Mental Paralysis.

In other words, this person cannot make a decision on which pro to hire now.

In an effort to help here's how the telcon went yesterday: (and consider this was phone call # X so, there's that . . .)

Me: OK. Please sit down and relax.

BB Person: But, yadda yadda yadda

Me: Don't talk, just listen. I'm going to ask you a number of Yes/No type questions. The answers to these questions simply need to be either Yes or No and not a lengthy discussion.

BB Person: But, yadda yadda yadda

Me: God gave you two ears and one mouth so that you can listen twice as much as you talk. Please stop talking. Good.

Me: Are you sitting down?

BBP: Yes.

M: Do you have a pen/pencil and blank sheet of paper?

BBP: Yes. I'm ready to write down whatever you tell me.

M: Yes or No only please. Thanks !

M: Is the paper completely blank?

M: Good. Let's use this paper as a demonstrative aid here.

M: I realize that you're a smart person and have done a lot of research. You've also attained six estimates from six different companies, correct?

BBP: Yes, but they're all different and . . .

M: Stop ! Look at the paper it's blank. That's where we are right now. We need to almost start over now.

BBP: But . . .

M: Stop talking, just don't ! I'm going to help you, I promise !

BBP: OK.

M: Look at the paper. Part of your research allowed you to find me so, I guess that's a good thing. Now, with no intention of being arrogant, I've been doing this a long time and it's likely that I've pretty much forgotten more about pest control than you've learned in the past few weeks.

This said, please carefully and neatly write down the names of the three companies that I've recommended to you on the paper. List them 1, 2, 3 or A, B, C.

Take your time.

Are you done?

M: OK. Let's, and by let's I mean you, understand that each of these companies have been doing pest control and bed bugs a very long time. They are reputable and stand behind their work. They are the type of companies that I would trust to do my Mom's house. They are the companies that will take good care of you and your bed bug problem. Understand?

M: Good. Remember back when you were in school and they had those multiple choice tests?

M: Good. This is the same thing now. You need to just pick one of these three and go with that. You need to decide which is best for YOU. Doing so will mean that you have decided to actually trust someone to make decisions on your behalf and conduct the work necessary to attain success.

Thus far much time has past and you're no closer to killing "bed bug one" than the day we first spoke. And, since bed bugs pretty much have just two things to do; one of them is eat, you can figure out what the other one is . . . Time is NOT on your side.

Are we good?

BBP: Yes, you're right.

M: Listen, I know this isn't easy and there's much anxiety involved in the decision process but in this situation, we're making it overly complicated. These people are pros with many years of experience. Allow them to do what they do. Don't worry that one company uses product X and another uses product Z. All those things work when used correctly by and experienced and competent professional.

You need to make a decision and get going on this.

Good luck !

And that's how this story goes or "is going" kids.

Based upon the multiple telcons which occurred yesterday I believe the bed bug work is going to commence at this person's home later today or tomorrow. I truly hope it goes very, very well cause I don't do head transplants . . .

pjb

2. buggyinsyracuse

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Jul 24 2014 10:10:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Very interesting, Paul. Thanks for sharing!

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2014 9:52:46
    #

Login to Send PM

OK.

Perhaps this should be filed under the heading:

Y'all Ain't Gonna Believe This Sh#t !

Yet, this situation continues . . .

As you may recall kids, this person did some home work and research which resulted in "information overload".

Then after finally deciding upon a pest pro, arranged for the work to be done on a certain day.

Come "game time" the bed bug pro guys didn't show up.

Of course, calls were made and this person was told that the guys were either in route or seeking a suitable parking spot. In either case, they were late.

Eventually, they didn't show up at all.

An additional phone call occurred which we can characterize as "unpleasant".

Meanwhile, "on the other side of the curtain" and realize that THIS has NEVER happened before, I have pest pros calling me to discuss this customer person in a similar fashion as a consumer might call to ask about a pest pro.

However, most of the comments in these conversations begin with something like: who the f#ck does this person think . . ." and, suffice it to say that it goes down hill from there.

So, let's recap:

> You're a bed bug victim.

> You've done some research.

> You've called multiple "experts" to attain additional advice.

> You've called some "experts" for pest pro company recommendations.

> You've called numerous pest pros for on site inspections and estimates to do your bed bug work.

> You don't like strangers in your house.

> You're used to having things your way.

> It is YOU that has the bed bug problem.

> You're dictating to pest pros how they should do the job based upon your research and speaking with numerous pest pros & others.

Many years ago when my Dad owned gas stations, and I was a "grease monkey" type guy, there was a sign on the wall that read something like this:

Hourly Mechanic Rate .................................... $75/hr

If you watch ........................................................ $95/hr

If you help ........................................................... $150/hr

> Please note that just because you've done "some research" this does not make you an experienced and seasoned pest management professional. Nor does it make you an "expert" simply because you've spoken to an expert, seen one on TV or whatever.

(Note that even though I've seen Derek Jeter play both live at Yankee Stadium and on television numerous times, it doesn't make me a MLB professional shortstop.)

So, here's what we have now:

A person that needs to have bed bug work done with no professional that wants to do the work for this person.

Yes, it's your home and as a consumer you have a right to choose the best professional for you however, if you deal with these folks in such a manner that we're observing here, you may find yourself in a mess such as this.

Have a nice day ! pjb

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2014 15:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I yell because I'm scared and don't want you to know it.

There was a hefty surcharge added to any quote on installing an AC unit when encountering those types. Thankfully most of them went with someone cheaper.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  5. BedBugsCharlotte

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2014 15:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Would it upset PCOs to use a double blind side confirmation system? I understand as a business owner you can't make everyone happy and sometimes as much as you hate it you have to tell customers to go elsewhere if they become abusive while you're trying to help. I have a photo of a new bug in the work place that PCOs say resemble a bed bug. There are now complaints of bites. I try my best not to offend anyone and don't want to do that unknowingly. There was miscommunication between myself and the PCO's secretary or may be a rule in place for clients like the one you mentioned above. I was told to go outside during an inspection when scheduling. I had not said anything to provoke this remark, only listened. I actually held back until the PCO invited me to watch the inspection and encouraged dialogue. I do let every PCO know I have to use multiple handlers just in case one dog may miss what another can find. Is any of this counter productive? I don't want bedbugs associated with my brand. That could result in law suits as well as finical ruin. I am not an individual treating my home.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Aug 1 2014 22:42:37
    #

Login to Send PM

See my responses below:

Q: Would it upset PCOs to use a double blind side confirmation system?

R: Some yes, some no.

Q: I understand as a business owner you can't make everyone happy and sometimes as much as you hate it you have to tell customers to go elsewhere if they become abusive while you're trying to help. I have a photo of a new bug in the work place that PCOs say resemble a bed bug.

R: What does "resemble a bed bug" mean? The critter has three pairs of legs???

Q: There are now complaints of bites. I try my best not to offend anyone and don't want to do that unknowingly. There was miscommunication between myself and the PCO's secretary or may be a rule in place for clients like the one you mentioned above. I was told to go outside during an inspection when scheduling. I had not said anything to provoke this remark, only listened. I actually held back until the PCO invited me to watch the inspection and encouraged dialogue.

R: OK. Were you satisfied with the quality and thoroughness of the inspection ?

Q: I do let every PCO know I have to use multiple handlers just in case one dog may miss what another can find. Is any of this counter productive?

R: It can be. Some guys are customer focused, others not so much. Some guys have patience and are good at handling customer questions & concerns, others not so much.

While I try to be patient when dealing with folks questions and concerns about their bed bug and other pest problems, listening to them drone on and on about what they heard from others or read on the internet can become a tad tedious after about 37 seconds.

Q: I don't want bedbugs associated with my brand. That could result in law suits as well as finical ruin. I am not an individual treating my home.

R: Of course not. It's your place and you're the customer.

Good luck ! pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,613 posts in 45,832 topics over 139 months by 20,182 of 20,985 members. Latest: bbuganxiety, Paseorent, allspiceberry143