Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Cats and Best Medication (e.g. Frontline)

(12 posts)
  1. mbvireo

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 15:09:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I read in a couple of places that it is helpful to give your pets medication, e.g.Frontline which is typically used to prevent fleas, to alleviate your pet's discomfort and minimize any spreading of BBs by your pet.

Back when I thought we had fleas, I gave my cat Revolution which works for a month. I recently administered it to her again hoping it will help.

My vet wasn't able to advise on this topic. Does anyone know if there's any medication that is recommended for BBs? I am only aware of Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution and they all seem to be the same type of medication but just work at different speeds.

2. brooklynbite

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 15:25:04
    #

Login to Send PM

mbvireo - 14 minutes ago  » 
    I read in a couple of places that it is helpful to give your pets medication, e.g.Frontline which is typically used to prevent fleas, to alleviate your pet's discomfort and minimize any spreading of BBs by your pet.
    Back when I thought we had fleas, I gave my cat Revolution which works for a month. I recently administered it to her again hoping it will help.
    My vet wasn't able to advise on this topic. Does anyone know if there's any medication that is recommended for BBs? I am only aware of Frontline, Advantage, and Revolution and they all seem to be the same type of medication but just work at different speeds.

Hi there, I have a cat, too. Both my vet and the PCO said that your pet should not be spreading the bbs, as they cannot live on your pet. I have used flea powder in hopes of alleviating his itching from being bitten, but that is all.

If anyone knows of any information to the contrary re: spreading the bugs, please let me know.

3. Overwhelmed

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 18:34:55
    #

Login to Send PM

mbvireo - 3 hours ago  » 

I don't think there are any medications either designed for, or with proven efficacy against, bed bugs. I would think that Revolution has a better chance of working than Frontline or Advantage because it enters the bloodstream. It would therefore be ingested by a bed bug snacking on your cat (whether it would then kill that bed bug I don't know).

I think that Frontline and Advantage just collect in the hair follicles which makes them effective against some pests, like fleas, but a bed bug wouldn't really come into contact with them. Also, if I recall correctly Revolution is both useful on a wider variety of pests and safer for the cat.

4. Emmm

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 2:22:18
    #

Login to Send PM

:O I didn't realize bed bugs actually bit pets.

My cat gets into bed with me periodically. My bed has been safe all this time, and I thought it was a flea I'd combed off my cat. I found this small reddish spec (even small for a flea)-- could that be a bed bug on my cat?

5. bedbugdude

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 9:16:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I went to an apartment to verify BB's. We pound on the door and after letting ourselves in this woman is sleeping on a couch not 2 ft from the door (rolls eyes)
    Anyhow I go to the bedroom door and there is duct tape all over it so I'm exspecting the worst of it. And sure enough the bed was loaded with bed bugs. So I asked the tenant a few questions and the whole situation was that she was getting bit up in her bed for a few weeks and decided to sleep on the couch. It worked no bites for months - 6 months t be exact! I then start inspecting the couch and the 20 framed family photos on the wall above it. Not one single dropping, no cast skins and no BB's at all in that area. Wondering why the BB's didn't migrate to the couch which was about 20ft from the bed in the bedroom I started asking more questions. I asked her if anyone else slept on the bed and she said noe one but the cat. She said it slept on the bed in the bedroom every night for that 6 months she slept on the couch. No dout in my mind they were feeding on her cat ever night. This actually prevented the BB's spreading out looking for a bloodmeal but man, that mattress was a mess. It was a perfect catch 22!

6. angie

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 11:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

As far as I know and understand, there is no magic med for our beloved pets. I had a dog during our infestation and I would give her weekly flea baths. Hard on her skin but not harmful. Recommended every 7-14 days anyhow. It did, in my opinion help her to not get bit as much. If your cat will tolerate the baths, you could try that. I wish you luck cuz as you know, our pets can't complain about the bites and itchiness. They are more tolerant than we are though. Good luck.

7. Emmm

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 11:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Can my cat be spreading the bugs around, though?

8. angie

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 12:05:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel it is possible for your pet to transport BB's from room to room. I didn't need any help in that department cuz mine were everywhere already. I never seen any BB's on my dog but she is short haired. I think that your cat, if it sleeps in a heavily populated area, could bring one or two to another room with it. Only my opinion.

9. losingit

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 17:23:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugdude: that woman owes that cat BIG time. Poor freakin' cat...

10. Itchy-Scratchy

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Mar 6 2009 18:28:20
    #

Login to Send PM

losingit - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bedbugdude: that woman owes that cat BIG time. Poor freakin' cat...

Wow, she sure does!!

Funny thing, all this time I never really see our cat scratching himself. Hopefully he's been spared!

11. sunshine1583

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 4 2009 11:34:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My cat not only spread BB's but she is also getting bitten badly. I feel so sorry for her. I think the Frontline does help a little.

12. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 4 2009 13:15:24
    #

Login to Send PM

For what it's worth, I was initially exposed to bed bugs in sometime of March (I think ) of 2008.

My infestation wasn't discovered until June of 2008.

I had thermal treatment. I did not isolate my bed.

My cat also sleeps on my bed.

I suspect my cat was getting bitten--esp. when I was out of town.

However, despite having had bugs for months and a cat who slept on my bed and traveling out of town a lot--I never found any bed bugs in my apartment anywhere but my bed, even though I had been sleeping on the couch (I have insomnia, so I often sleep on the couch. I hadn't moved there because of bites. I thought the bites were mosquito bites.)

As a result, I'm pretty sure that my cat didn't spread bugs throughout the house.

(My best amateur guess is that since I and my cat fed the bugs regularly enough, and didn't disturb them much, they saw no reason to leave the bed where they had a good life. I could be wrong, but given my behavior and theirs over the course of several months, I can't explain why else they stayed put.)

My cat also was taken out of the apartment during thermal (obviously), put in a carrier, taken to a groomer, washed, and crated at my pet sitter's house until it was safe to put her back in the apartment once it cooled down. She didn't spread any bed bugs during all of that either.

I'm not saying that it's impossible for a cat to spread bed bugs.

But my personal experience suggests that it's not nearly as likely as people think. Peoples' clothes and bags being moved from infested place to infested place is much more common as a source of bed bug spreading than pets.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

190,998 posts in 29,382 topics over 90 months by 12,672 of 19,930 members. Latest: bbgoneextreme, Lito, emitchy