Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Carpet Cleaners

(4 posts)
  1. nervesofsteel

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2009 15:37:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

I am renting out a condo with other students. Our landlord recently mentioned he would like to get all the carpets cleaned by professionals.

I believe that I have a mild infestation of bedbugs (I've seen no evidence but the bites) and I am unsure if it would be wise to have carpet cleaners out. Could the carpet cleaners wind up accidentally carrying the bugs to another room or to another house via the equipment? On the other hand, maybe a deep cleansing of the carpet would capture some of the bugs.

Does anyone have suggestions on whether or not to let the carpet cleaners come? The other issue is moving all of my things out of the room, potentially moving the infestation to other rooms.

Thanks.

2. Just itching to get rid of them

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jul 13 2009 23:55:15
    #

Login to Send PM

You should let your landlord know about the infestation. Why keep it a secret?

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 0:25:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the first step is figuring out whether you have bed bugs or not.

Bed bugs are a very stealthy pest, and many people have them for a while before they see evidence of them. Part of that is not knowing exactly what to look for, and part of it is that if you bring them home a hitch hiker or two at a time, it takes a while before you see signs.

On the other hand, bed bugs are not the only household pest that causes bites and/or bite like reactions. Fleas, carpet beetles, and other mites are just a few of the other pests that are mistaken for bed bugs.

My question for you would be why you suspect bed bugs as the culprit?

If you do have bed bugs, the best course of action is to get an experience pest control professional in to inspect the place to either confirm bed bugs or confirm another pest.

I would be very concerned that moving furniture out of your room into the common areas of the apartment would spread a bed bug infestation if you've got one.

We know that bed bugs can survive being sucked into a vacuum. I'm not sure about a carpet cleaner. If it uses hot hot water, then the heat from the water would kill them.

But I do think the first step is either confirming or ruling out bed bugs before you do anything else related to the carpet cleaner or not.

4. nervesofsteel

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Jul 14 2009 0:58:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

I've been diagnosing whether or not I have bedbugs for several weeks now. I alerted my landlord when I first believed I had them. I had the PCO come out, and after a careful examination of my bed and sleeping area he concluded that there was no evidence of bedbugs. I began to take precautions, and purchased mattress encasements. In the past two weeks there were less bites, but in recent days they have come back more regularly.

I thought after the PCO came out that it might be something else, but now I am at a loss for what other culprits might be out there. I thought it might be an allergic reaction, because I would get what looked like hives on my back and on the backs of my knees, but now I have been receiving single bites all over.

I've found no definitive evidence yet. At the very beginning, before I knew of bedbugs, I took my mattress off my box springs and found some bug and a tiny scurrying thing on top of my box springs. I (stupidly stupidly stupidly) swept them up and into the trash. Looking back I think that it might have been a bedbug husk and a nymph.

Since then I have not seen any traces. Unfortunately I have deep carpets and I believe they might be hiding within the carpets. There seem to be a lot of places for them to hide and it seems like I might have picked up one or two "hitchhikers" and their offspring are still in the larvae stage, without noticeable tracings.

I don't know what to do. My landlord and everyone else took the PCO's word for it and we let it fall at that (that it probably wasn't bedbugs). But I am still getting bit and I see no evidence of carpet beetles. It is happening too regularly for a rouge spider and I don't believe we have bats in the neighborhood. I think I'll ask my landlord to avoid cleaning the carpets in our room. It seems like I will have to wait to find definitive signs of the bugs before we can take any professional actions.

Does anyone know if double sided tape will trap them? I was thinking of putting it around my mattress, so they would have to cross it to get to the top of the bed.

Thank you again. If you have any other suggestions of what it may be, or how to catch signs of them, please let me know.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

191,422 posts in 29,452 topics over 90 months by 12,708 of 19,973 members. Latest: neatnik, waryweary, AshleyMapple