Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Carpet Beetles - Will washing clothes remove larvae hairs?

(5 posts)
  1. Silverpink

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jun 13 2013 13:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

After many different theories (bed bugs, fleas, dust mites, cat mites), I have finally landed on carpet beetles as the cause of my "bites". A PCO came out and cleared us for BB. I've been the only one in the house getting the bites, while my husband sleeps in bed beside me and has gotten nothing. I've gotten up to 20 bites in a night and yet could find no traces of any sort of bug.

From what I understand, with carpet beetles, the "bites" are actually an allergic reaction (that only a percentage of people get) to the larvae hairs. What really leads me to believe this is the cause is that virtually all of my bites have underneath clothing. One night I went to the extreme of wearing a tank top tucked into long pants, with another t-shirt on top, and yet I continued to get the bites almost solely on my backside (I sleep on my back). Also, I've seen a couple of carpet beetles around the house (although not in the bedroom).

There's just one discrepancy that is bothering me. My family and I just back from a week vacation. We packed every single fabric we brought in airtight plastic bags straight from the dryer, including what we wore out the door. While away, I didn't get many bites, but I did get a few. Could larvae hairs on my clothes have survived the washer/dryer? If so, what can I do about that? I know that misting helps. Should I be misting pajamas before putting them on at night?

2. endless_nightmare

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 4:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

try this

wash you pajamas, and just let them dry on their own, if you are in a position where you can do that outside, the drying part I mean, then all the better

a friend of mine has the CB and she did this, her theory was that the dryer was causing static thus attracting the hairs even more, she did get some relief

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 10:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish this poor information about carpet beetle larva would get put to rest already.

Do you know what size beetle infestation you would have to have to be effected by beetle larva? Forget it!

1. - you would clearly see a problem with a lot of beetles in the house.

2. - you would be finding hundreds of larva shed skins.

3. - you would notice clothing being destroyed/eaten by the larvae.

4. - in small numbers, anyone at anytime will find a few/a dozen beetle larvae throughout the house if they went searching for it.

5. - Most always, regular cleaning/vacuuming/dusting keeps carpet beetle populations at a minimum where 99.99999% of the population don't have a problem with them. That is, depending on your personal threshold.

4. Silverpink

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 21:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - I didn't realize that there was a lot of misinformation going around about carpet beetles. I been getting bites or whatever they are for a month now and carpet beetles are the only single bug I've seen (I've probably seen 5 or 6 total in different spots around the house). Everything I read about them seemed to line up with what is happening to me. I've heard the same argument about BB or fleas (if someone has as many bites as I do, I would see evidence at this point). I've done so much research and I just have absolutely no idea what else it could possibly be.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 10 months ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 22:02:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Take the larva you find and rub it against your skin. Monitor that area and compare the reaction, (if any) on your skin to what you think are bites.

So many times people think they're getting bit by insects and it winds up to be nothing insect related at all.

For my company, 80% of the inspections we do wind up not being bed bug related.

Just some FYI. Beetles will over winter in the walls of our home. Everyone sooner or later will find this type of evidence inside their living spaces. Male and female beetle larva shed their skins 5 and 6 times if memory serves me right so, it's inevitable you're going to see some form of this insect when you search for it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,353 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter