Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Carpet Beetles - Will washing clothes remove larvae hairs?

(14 posts)
  1. Silverpink

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Jun 13 2013 13:44:10
    #

Login to Send PM

After many different theories (bed bugs, fleas, dust mites, cat mites), I have finally landed on carpet beetles as the cause of my "bites". A PCO came out and cleared us for BB. I've been the only one in the house getting the bites, while my husband sleeps in bed beside me and has gotten nothing. I've gotten up to 20 bites in a night and yet could find no traces of any sort of bug.

From what I understand, with carpet beetles, the "bites" are actually an allergic reaction (that only a percentage of people get) to the larvae hairs. What really leads me to believe this is the cause is that virtually all of my bites have underneath clothing. One night I went to the extreme of wearing a tank top tucked into long pants, with another t-shirt on top, and yet I continued to get the bites almost solely on my backside (I sleep on my back). Also, I've seen a couple of carpet beetles around the house (although not in the bedroom).

There's just one discrepancy that is bothering me. My family and I just back from a week vacation. We packed every single fabric we brought in airtight plastic bags straight from the dryer, including what we wore out the door. While away, I didn't get many bites, but I did get a few. Could larvae hairs on my clothes have survived the washer/dryer? If so, what can I do about that? I know that misting helps. Should I be misting pajamas before putting them on at night?

2. endless_nightmare

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 4:17:27
    #

Login to Send PM

try this

wash you pajamas, and just let them dry on their own, if you are in a position where you can do that outside, the drying part I mean, then all the better

a friend of mine has the CB and she did this, her theory was that the dryer was causing static thus attracting the hairs even more, she did get some relief

Andrea
    not a PCO
    Spinal Cord Injury Advocacy/Volunteer
  3. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 10:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish this poor information about carpet beetle larva would get put to rest already.

Do you know what size beetle infestation you would have to have to be effected by beetle larva? Forget it!

1. - you would clearly see a problem with a lot of beetles in the house.

2. - you would be finding hundreds of larva shed skins.

3. - you would notice clothing being destroyed/eaten by the larvae.

4. - in small numbers, anyone at anytime will find a few/a dozen beetle larvae throughout the house if they went searching for it.

5. - Most always, regular cleaning/vacuuming/dusting keeps carpet beetle populations at a minimum where 99.99999% of the population don't have a problem with them. That is, depending on your personal threshold.

4. Silverpink

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 21:16:10
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - I didn't realize that there was a lot of misinformation going around about carpet beetles. I been getting bites or whatever they are for a month now and carpet beetles are the only single bug I've seen (I've probably seen 5 or 6 total in different spots around the house). Everything I read about them seemed to line up with what is happening to me. I've heard the same argument about BB or fleas (if someone has as many bites as I do, I would see evidence at this point). I've done so much research and I just have absolutely no idea what else it could possibly be.

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 14 2013 22:02:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Take the larva you find and rub it against your skin. Monitor that area and compare the reaction, (if any) on your skin to what you think are bites.

So many times people think they're getting bit by insects and it winds up to be nothing insect related at all.

For my company, 80% of the inspections we do wind up not being bed bug related.

Just some FYI. Beetles will over winter in the walls of our home. Everyone sooner or later will find this type of evidence inside their living spaces. Male and female beetle larva shed their skins 5 and 6 times if memory serves me right so, it's inevitable you're going to see some form of this insect when you search for it.

6. Mentalmama

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 14:55:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Killerqueen, this is such frustrating information. With all the evidence pointing to cb and not bb, and now you saying it would have to be an infestation, which my home clearly does NOT have, what is a person to believe?!? ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿ˜ž๐Ÿ˜ข

7. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Jul 17 2014 16:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

The problem is educated pest control experts can't always offer you the best sound advice here without one particular person debating you at every turn because they think they are the all knowing. It's sad really but also takes up too much of my time as well as other pros here. Maybe it's a moderating issue, maybe it's something else. Bottom line it's a shame it has to be this way.

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 5:01:24
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 11 hours ago ย ยปย 
    The problem is educated pest control experts can't always offer you the best sound advice here without one particular person debating you at every turn because they think they are the all knowing. It's sad really but also takes up too much of my time as well as other pros here. Maybe it's a moderating issue, maybe it's something else. Bottom line it's a shame it has to be this way.

KillerQueen,
    It would help if you would reference (link to) the post about carpet beetles that you don't agree with or respond in the same thread. Talking vaguely about "others giving incorrect information" about carpet beetles doesn't really help users. I understand you're referring to this discussion today in particular, so it would be better to continue discussing there.

Mentalmomma has told us in another thread she does have carpet beetles in her home, and has found no bed bug evidence.

Maybe it's a moderating issue, maybe it's something else.

Really?

I take this as you suggesting that I should be moderating what bed bug experts say about carpet beetles, for example. I am not a professional exterminator or an entomologist, so I don't claim to be able to decide which professional's information is better. If you think someone is dishing out incorrect information, then point that out in the relevant thread and everyone can have a productive conversation.

It sounds like you feel you're more of an expert on carpet beetles than David Cain, and that may be so, but if it is, you probably have to bring more concrete suggestions, rather than just dismissing others' points. The last thing I saw was David offering to post a research paper. Hopefully that discussion will continue.

Obviously, you're volunteering your time and it's much appreciated, but it seems in this most recent post, the focus seems to be on the drama rather than helping the person asking for advice.

As for moderation, note that I do moderate when forum rules are violated (e.g. people attack each other while discussing whatever), but note that doesn't mean I delete every post from another pro that you or Paul or David flags. I am happy to discuss the reasons with you individually as I have in the past. However, also note I don't automatically discuss the results of a flagged post being evaluated, since it isn't always convenient and in some cases would be very repetitive.

No matter what lobbying is done by you or Paul or David, I am going to try and keep this a forum for open discussion where all of your different points of view are welcomed. If you feel others are giving incorrect information, you need to point that out and give people information so they can make up their minds. I am not an expert and can't be the arbiter for who has the best advice about insects.

It seems to always be you and Paul vs. David and interestingly, when these two camps diagree, we don't necessarily see other experts like entomologists Winston and Lou jumping in. If there is incorrect information, I would expect that to be the case. I trust Lou and Winston and other experts to set me straight and I note they aren't getting involved in these debates.

Instead, rather than people spreading obviously incorrect information, it seems to be a case of difference of opinion. One camp may be right, but which one is right is not obvious to all the other experts here. So why should it be obvious to me?

There is a limit to this free discussion, and that's when people are violating the forum rules. But beyond that, I hope that the free discussion will lead to greater knowledge and that in time, those with the best information will in time be able to help us correct faulty ideas with concrete evidence, references, etc.

I hope that clarifies things!

I hope you understand I do very much appreciate your participation here, KillerQueen, and I hope it will continue. I also appreciate the expert guidance given by Paul, David, and of course Lou, Winston and other experts not involved in these skirmishes.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Mentalmama

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 12:37:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you nobugsonme for the reply. I am getting so discouraged feeling like I am starting an unnecessary ruckus. I am not trying to pit people against each other. All I am trying to do is get information to help alleviate and then eradicate this problem.
    My husband thinks I am going mental.๐Ÿ˜ž My son would just like relief from the itching. ๐Ÿ˜ฅI would like to be able to move forward with my painting and new carpet but I am terrified that whatever it is will not be gone and all I will be doing is giving whatever it is a brand new, fresh place to camp. ๐Ÿ›๐Ÿ๐ŸœI promised my children they could have and go on sleepovers this summer but I am afraid that others will get bit or we will transfer this nuisance and frustration to someone else. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜–
    I just want it to be over. I know I am not alone here. And I realize others do have a bona fide bb problem where mine is only a possibility at this point but I can tell you it is NOT delusional or psychosomatic. If it was just me, maybe. But it is chiefly my son and I dare say I did not just present with "sympathy bites" so he wouldn't feel alone.
    It feels almost like I shouldn't be here anymore unless I can produce something more concrete than bites, carpet beetles and distress. If that is the case, please let me know....๐Ÿ˜ž

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 12:45:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Please see my post here http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/carpet-beetles-just-live-with-it

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology.
  11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 12:51:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Mentalmomma,

Try not to overreact to the fact that some experts here have disagreements with one another. It's not about you and you didn't start anything up that wasn't already there.

You are totally in the right place and we will try and help. Reading Lou's response is a good first step. I suggest staying in your other thread for now. Having the same conversation in multiple threads simultaneously can be harder for us to follow.

12. Mentalmama

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 13:02:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Mentalmomma,
    Try not to overreact to the fact that some experts here have disagreements with one another. It's not about you and you didn't start anything up that wasn't already there.
    You are totally in the right place and we will try and help. Reading Lou's response is a good first step. I suggest staying in your other thread for now. Having the same conversation in multiple threads simultaneously can be harder for us to follow.

Thank you, will do! And thank you, Lou, too!!!

13. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 13:55:42
    #

Login to Send PM

You're welcome, mentalmomma!

14. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Fri Jul 18 2014 14:42:03
    #