Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Carpet Beetles do they bite? Also do they leave black poop?

(3 posts)
  1. disgusted

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 23 2010 13:24:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, in the past few weeks you have identified a carpet beetle larve for me. I continue to find little worms around but can't figure out where they come from. Last night i had a bite on my finger. When i awoke i found a black pepper sized flake on the bottom of the bed near the foot area and when i went to swipe it smeared a small spot that went into the sheet. I took a wash cloth and scrubbed it good and it finally came out. This morning during my normal cleaning i found a dead bug behind the dresser. It looks mostly dark black and it is so small i cant tell what kind of bug. It seems to be sort of round with maybe a hard shell but i don't know if after a bb feeds does it get thick and round if it is small? I am still at the point where i don't know what a skin looks like or the actual dead bug, to me the skins of bb in pics look like the bug so it is confusing. Anyway, do carpet beetles bite? Do they leave poop marks? I found the poop marks one other time then found a beetle under the bed so this time when i saw the poo i knew they might be some type of bug. I hope it is not Bb. Please let me know. Thank you!

2. nycyn

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 5:53:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump! I'd like to know as well. I could do a 'net search but jeez--it's almost 6 a.m. and I really should go to bed sleep.

3. NewBlood

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 24 2010 9:32:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Disgusted,

Before I try to answer your questions know that I am not an entomologist nor have I ever seen a bed bug. With that said..

It looks mostly dark black and it is so small i cant tell what kind of bug. It seems to be sort of round with maybe a hard shell but i don't know if after a bb feeds does it get thick and round if it is small?

I believe that bed bugs get more... plump... after feeding. They don't grow a hard shell afterwards however. If you have captured one of them try taking a picture and posting a link to it here - there are several folks who frequent the forum who are great at identifying insects.

Anyway, do carpet beetles bite? Do they leave poop marks?

Carpet beetles do not bite, but the larvae can leave bite like welts on the skin for those who react to them. This is caused by their tiny little hairs coming into contact with your skin in some mysterious way - even clothing can not stop them (from what I have read on these forums) as the hairs are almost microscopic. Carpet beetles DO poop - this is known as 'frass' but the waste material from carpet beetles looks like sawdust and not smearing material (to my knowledge).

I might recommend getting a professional inspection done to see what may be biting you - or posting some links to the stains/fecal/bugs here. Also remember that, alas, if you do have carpet beetles this doesn't mean that you don't have bed bugs too. Having one of them doesn't exclude the other (but it may mean that you are allergic to the CB larvae hairs).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,353 posts in 28,323 topics over 87 months by 12,196 of 19,350 members. Latest: MANthrax, buggingcane, pecunianon
Site Meter