Cardboard Boxes

(30 posts)
  1. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 15:38:33
    #

Login to Send PM

So no one on here has cardboard?

It's taken me two months to get rid of half of mine and I'm still going through them:(

2. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 15:47:46
    #

Login to Send PM

My attic was filled with folded cardboard boxes that we saved from when we moved in. All of it is gone except two boxes... One I have some old glasses in the other a few plastic halloween pumkins. I plan on bagging and tossing them tonight. The coat closet downstairs has my wedding dress in it that is from the dry cleaners when I had it treated after the wedding 6 yrs ago. I don't know what to do with that one. I thought of sealing it but it may be risky. I may have it treated.

3. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 15:55:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you find bugs in the boxes?

We only found bugs in the boxes that were near a harbourage area.

4. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:05:32
    #

Login to Send PM

If I can weign in on this.....Cardboard, in general is a material that all bugs are attracted to. Many years ago someone told me that cockroaches hide and lay eggs in cardboard. I think I had brought some Chinese food into my home in a cardboard box and whoever was there told me to never bring cardboard in from a food establishment. This thought never left me. If you look at some of the photos that Mr. Lou Sorkin has of some bed bugs in a jar, I was told that he put cardboard into the jar and that's where they hide and breed. My friend, who went to see Mr. Sorkin said that when he wrapped his hand around the jar...thousands of bugs came out of nowhere....in other words the cardboard allowed them lots of hiding spots. I would get rid of all cardboard. As for your wedding dress box...I purchased a large roll of plastic Shrinkwrap from Staples....I put shrink wrap all around our artwork...and it really really does a great job of hermetically sealing things.....You need two people to preform the task but it works. So maybe you can plastic shrinkwrap your Wedding Box....and that would protect it from all bugs.....but I would not use cardboard for any storage....regardless of bed bugs...all bugs like it for homes..

5. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:15:18
    #

Login to Send PM

My wedding album in our bedroom closet is in a cardboard box. Like the kind of material a gift box is. I did look thru it the other day. I didn't see anything but I did spray bedlam all over the inside and outside of the box.

6. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:18:18
    #

Login to Send PM

OH to answer your question bugalina... no. but tthis was back in May when this whole thing first started and I didn't know about this site. I just threw it all away..so if there were bugs in them I probably spread them all over the house.... Half way thru we started t obag and seal stuff up there before bringing it down. Even more scary is that we can only do this at night when the kids are in bed...

7. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:21:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Well now I'm terrified. I suppose I'll have to dump the contents into plastic bins and go through them at a later date just to get rid of the boxes I have left.

8. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:23:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't want to scare you...just inform you that cardboard offers an ideal harborage......for any bugs..

9. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 16:28:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I know:( I just had about 50 boxes filled with papers, books, cds etc

I've already had 4 treatments so I hope the boxes left aren't infested.

10. BBsBlow

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 19:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I have no cardboard personally.

11. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 19:50:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice...Maybe in time you can transfer those things that are in cardboard boxes into lidded plastic bins....Just to be on the safe side....only if time and money permit...

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 15 2007 23:28:03
    #

Login to Send PM

All,
    I think it's good to get rid of cardboard, as others state, but don't panic! In most infestations, cardboard boxes in the bedroom and near sofa and chairs you sit in are most likely infested. So I'd inspect and transfer that stuff to plastic first.

On the other hand, I would not seal it in plastic bags or closed tubs during treatment in most cases. If bugs can walk out to feed, they can walk through poison. As always, your PCO's advice may contradict that, and you should follow the PCO.

Paula,
    Be careful! Wedding photos and other precious things may be harmed by these chemicals in close proximity. If precious items are in danger, pop the whole box in an XL ziploc or appropriately sized sealable bag. While I do not think most items should be sealed for 18 months, I would do this with archival stuff rather than spray it. You might even take the album out of the sprayed box. This bed bug thing will pass, really, and you will want your precious photos to be in tact.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 8:12:50
    #

Login to Send PM

All of my family photo albums and wedding album are in my clothes closet. I right now have sprayed a plastic bin down with bedlam and layed everything in them so they have full access to the closet. (that's all that's left in the closet)
    I am soo affraid of getting reinfested from what's in the house. SO what you are saying is that I should maybe put these items in a XXL ziploc for 18 months jsut to be safe? If I do that, I'll put it in the attic so it's not disturbed. I also have albums in hte guest room closet downstairs that they found bugs in I believe.

14. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 9:21:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya know I also have three albums in daughters closet..I don't know what to do with this stuff.....

15. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 9:42:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your replies. I will never again put stuff in cardboard.

Paula,

I'm leaning towards the 18 month storing for items that I want to hold on to for a lifetime. I think I'm going to put it in ziplocks and put the bags in bins and tape the bins shut. Then I'll put a label with the date on it.

I would feel safer with the bins over the plastic because of my cat and any rodents that might get into my basement.

16. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 10:31:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I have thrown out allot of cardboard but not all. I think that this process takes time because we are taxed so much in fighting the war that unless you have very little posessions this can be a massive job. Do you best. These bugs can live anywhere not just in cardboard. Lou happens to keep cardboard in a jar but if he had only wood or cloth or books etc... the bugs would find places to hide in that too. Constant cleaning with steam and DE and chemicals are your tools. But of course try your best to get rid of cardboard.

17. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 11:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice...I think that is a prudent Idea...bugs cannot harbor in smooth plastic sides thus clear plastic bins with lids are the best way to go as per storage containers. And putting things away as you say for a good length of time gives you peace of mind. Better safe than sorry, and an ounce of precaution is worth a pound of cure...
    Paula...If you don't need the albums to "live" then wrap them up and store them away....It will give you peace of mind.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 13:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I would put precious things like albums in plastic sealed to store for 18 months. But that means they must not be open and must stay sealed. I would NOT expose precious things to bedlam or other pesticides. Your photos may not last under such circumstances.

19. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Aug 16 2007 13:14:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. We will be doing so. Thank you

20. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Aug 20 2007 19:41:22
    #

Login to Send PM

“mini faq on chucking cardboard”

(Some cardboard you might consider saving)

In recent reading of this blog, I have noted that several people went on "throw away all of their cardboard gags" a few days ago. I had done the same--months prior. All cardboard coming in, too--was always suspect from the moment I found out that bed bugs are often "cardboardaphillic" So I had chucked, or saved for "other reasons" some cardboard.

Unfortunately, for me--I also chucked out my "Costly Cardboard!”

"Costly Cardboard “ is that cardboard which many electronics, internet or many other store-bought "equipment must be returned to vendor in the same box--both for repair or return." Types of “Costly Cardboard.”

Oh how I wish I had flattened and duct taped shut with plastic--those "costly" cardboard items. But when I had bugs, I all too often hopped on the bandwagon of popular opinion--became tunnel visional, and then lived to regret it later--with or without bed bugs.

Folks: If you have not chucked away all of your cardboard, please consider these "costly cardboards" and DO consider some way of "100% isolating them, as opposed to blindly chucking them.

Signed,

“Bed bug Willoweeze”
    I adore this thread!

21. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 11:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I plan on getting rid of several boxes this weekend and need advice.

At my house I have DE, D-force, Murohy's Oil and a Vacuum. I have to go through the boxes before discarding them and want to protect the room in case anything does crawl out. It's a basement with a cement floor and exposed beams. Anyone have any ideas of how to "treat" the room with what I have?

22. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 14:22:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Beactrice...you can purchase a large plastic tarpoline and spread it out...the kind house painters use, you can buy them at home depot or a hardware store....I would lay in out onto the concrete floor, and tape it down with the double sided tape...then I would dust the entire surface of the tarp with DE...I would put the boxes onto of this and put a very very bright lite on the area...take a lamp with a strong bulb and remove the shade, for ex.....You can even spray something like bedlam onto the tarp...then one by one go thru the box (es)...carefully inspecting everything....and have plastic ziplocks at the ready....I would double the tarp over just to be on the safe side...and get the plastic tarp...not the cloth kind...

23. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 14:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

all that as Bugalina said--and perhaps put some D- force outside the doubled over plastic tarp--but inside the double stick carpet tape. This will hopefully keep any bugs withing the cordoned off area--in it. I'd not mix the DE with the D-force, so leave a good foot between the De and the D-force. I've never used D-force others have had some success with it.
    The wood of course can be treated temporarily and often with the murphy's. Since it is a contact kill--it would need to be be done several times over a few weeks.
    I hope that helps too

Willow

24. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 14:49:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both, good ideas. I hope I can find that plastic.

Would it be a stupid idea to spray the perimeter of the room with D-force? I think my PCO used Suspend when he sprayed.

25. Bugalina

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 14:58:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice...I don't exactly know what Dforce is...Is it a "flushing out" agent...a pesticide??? and with what kind of residual ?? I really don't know...so I can't answer..but applying a pestcide around the perimeter of the walls would be prudent..

26. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 15:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a residual spray

0.06% Deltamethrin

27. buggeroff

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 16:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If the PCO already sprayed the perimeter of the room, then I think all you'd need to do is to spray the tarp with the D-Force. I don't think I would use DE. If you kick it up while you're working, you might end up breathing a lot of it and that's not so great.

If there's no DE around the perimeter, on the other hand, putting it there might not be such a bad idea.

28. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 16:11:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't put anything down yet and the last treatment was a month ago. I just hate second guessing myself which I feel like I do all the time anymore.

29. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Aug 21 2007 16:25:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Beatrice: if there is no rush, you can be smart bait. Lay the boxes in the middle on the tarp but perhaps try this: (Oh, and a white plastic shower curtain will do.) Apply the D-force--under the boxes, the DE around the perimiter of the pre-double sided carpet tape. Wait a week ... Wit even 10 days ….

By then, the fumes will be gone for sure--and the bed bugs will have to go thru both poisons and double carpet tape to flee. So they are sort of “stuck” there--being forced to absorb the poisons. The De around the perimeter would be much less messy and so buggeroff is so right there.

Since you don’t have a contact killer spray: I’d recommend some sort of a contact spray--even if it is only ice water, upon your return: You can kill any bugs that will sense you and perhaps come towards you—before ever even getting into the circle.
    Moreso—And acting as “smart-bait: -- I'd make sure I came around the area everyday to keep the bugs from possibly going into dormancy and maybe some might even come out of dormancy. If so—they are trapped.
    a--I'd be sure to wrap the cardboard up within the circle and bag it in plastic for disposal
    b--I'd be sure to fully shower and fully change clothing after this—and I say this, because of eggs....
    I'd bag my old clothes not only in the BR—I’d do it while actually standing in the tub.
    Most of this you know already, Beatrice. It is added on only for any “new bites” that might want to try these things provided the PCO they hopefully have, is knowledgeable and approves.
    Most bugs hate that quick temperature change—so ice water may not kill them but it is sure to shock them. I’ve seen it knock them on their buts. Very hot TAP water in a spray bottle works too—but you would need a towel or potholders, to keep from burning your hands.
    All of this is assuming there are bed bugs in those boxes. Still I feel it is always wise to be this cautious. Even to the point of saying don’t let the sprayed water draw-in mosquito’s or cause mold—Mop it up with another towel—
    AFTER you’re done with all of the inspecting and bagging--but before changing and showering in the tub.
    Between the three of us I think we have given you some help here—cooperativeness is so kind. (I can’t speak for the other’s— … I’ll send you my bill…--lol)

Good luck!

30. Beatrice

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Aug 22 2007 12:32:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again for all the advice!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.