:( Can't afford pest control

(5 posts)
  1. omgbb

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 22:19:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I was lying in bed at my parents' home and a bug fell on me from the window area at the head of my bed. I killed it. I threw it away because we sometimes get weird bugs because of our location in the middle of 80 acres of woods. Then I was in the shower and found a bug on me and saved it.

Orkin determined that it was a bed bug. They did their free inspection and did not find any other bed bugs, however I have bites all over my legs.

I do not live at my parents' home; however I am the only one who gets bit when I am there.

Orkin said it would be over $1000 to treat the house.

Are there other ways to treat the house that are as effective? Why can't we find any more bugs? Why am I the only one that gets bit? Are they only in one room?

It seems like the government would subsidize the removal of bed bugs as they are a public nuisance. Want my bugs, Congress?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 28 2011 22:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry your family has this problem. It can be especially difficult when you seem to be the only one reacting.

In most cases, PCOs seem to recommend treating the entire home.

Lots of people do not react to bed bug bites and it sounds like this may be the case for others in your family. How long did this inspection take?

It's possible they were localized to the room you sleep in, but I would not count on it -- unless the PCO spent hours searching the entire home carefully, it's hard to say.

Bed bug treatment is very expensive. However, a knowledgeable, experienced PCO can usually get rid of the bed bugs faster and more thoroughly than you can. Even a PCO who is not the best probably knows a lot more than most of us who are not in the business do about getting rid of bed bugs.

If paying for treatment by an experienced and knowledgeable professional is possible, it is usually the best option, though I would recommend interviewing at least three firms before you hire one. Experience, skill, treatment methods, and what you get for the price all vary widely.

Please read the bed bug treatment FAQs, which tell you more about treatment options.

Some who had to do their own treatment have had success self-treating with steam (see this FAQ), pesticides, and diatomaceous earth, or DE (see this FAQ).

I would warn you that this is very time consuming --both the research you need to do to learn how to do it with some level of competence, and the actual work itself.

And you still may have bed bugs longer than if you hire someone. It's possible to make things worse by misapplying or overapplying pesticides, so do your careful research if you are going to attempt it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. tstidm1

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jun 30 2011 13:08:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I am afraid of seeing a $1,000 bill for PCO. I can't afford a $1,000 bill. Do people accept Bed Bugs in their lives and not seek treatment for them? Am I better off trying this myself? I am feeling very sad and frustrated because I think I will have to cut out travel and other things .

4. BedBugBlogger

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 15:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

buy a steam cleaner. It is going to cost my landlord 2000$ to do this entire complex. Steam does kill bedbugs. Look for them, find where they are nesting and cover/get rid of any infested furniture.

I am no expert, just someone else suffering from this

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 17:40:57
    #

Login to Send PM

tstidm1 - 1 day ago  » 
    I am afraid of seeing a $1,000 bill for PCO. I can't afford a $1,000 bill. Do people accept Bed Bugs in their lives and not seek treatment for them? Am I better off trying this myself? I am feeling very sad and frustrated because I think I will have to cut out travel and other things .

No, you cannot just decide to live with them. They will continue to multiply and you will likely spread them to others. People have been fired for taking them to work (or even the suspicion that they did). They have spread to family members. It can get really ugly.

Self-treatment is not the best option, but it can be done if needed. I suggest you read the links I provided in this post above to the FAQs on steam and diatomaceous earth. Please do careful research (beginning but not ending with those FAQs) before you begin. You can make things worse and can cause health problems or damage to the home if you do not know what you're doing.

By the way, if you're a tenant, research the laws in your area. In many places, landlords are liable for treatment for bed bugs.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

201,857 posts in 31,281 topics over 95 months by 13,530 of 14,308 members. Latest: PolkaBox, bugsinarizona, slyhlndrs01