Can you see just one and that's it?

(4 posts)
  1. crazy2day

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2009 17:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been bitten up and down over the past 4 weeks or so. Yesterday, I found one bug on my bed in morning after I got out of the bed and put the lights on. I [/i]think it's a bed bug...anyway, is there any way you can find just one or two bugs and that's the end of it?

I have a suspicion that my neighbors downstairs had the bed bugs earlier this summer because back in June I recall that they threw away their mattresses and couch. I figured they were redecorating.

I do have a question: should I encase my mattresses from now? I have not even contacted a Pest service yet; I first have to tell the superintendent of my apt. complex. My husband is saying stuff like, "Well we just saw one [i] so we shouldn't jump the gun and we're really not certain it's truly a bed bug." Yet I've been bitten on my lower leg, my neckline and my forearm over the past 4-5 weeks. I chalked it up to mosquitoes.

If these are bedbugs, then would I be foolish to have pest contractor service my apt. while the people downstairs probably get pest service done?

I am sick to my stomach over this , I hate my bed now and want to just buy new furniture and go to a new apartment somewhere else and start frest. To make it worse my husband is chronically ill and would have a difficult time to be out of the apt the 4 hours it'll take for treatment. He is so ill, he cannot help me put the mattress protector cover on - I'll have to get my brother and sister in law to help me.

Has anyone used the "heat treatment" unit as advertised on this board? Does it really work?
    Does a "steamer machine" really work to kill the bugs and eggs/larve?

Has anyone successfully and permanently gotten rid of the bed bugs? Can it be possible?

Thank you.

2. veisn

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 17:31:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I made the mistake of being hopeful after I found the first one (a nymph, they seem to be more careless in exposing themselves BTW) in my 14 month old's bed. I washed all the stuffed animals in her bed and hoped that it was taken care of (I knew nothing about these little devils and did minimal research that made me want to hope even more) Then, the very next day I flipped my other daughter's mattress over to find two live adults. Again, I was hoping some more that "maybe I found them all". Yay!!! This is VERY bad. Nine days after I found the first one, we ended up tearing the kid's room apart, putting all belongings (except for the mattress) out in the backyard, sealed in bags. What a nightmare! Again, hoped some more that there were none in our adjacent master bedroom. The next day my husband and I flipped our mattress over and found an adult under there (we don't have a boxspring, or I would've immediately taken that out of the house (for fear)). I bought a $90 mattress cover made by Mattress Safe(a researched purchase). These bugs are the devil, they are hard to get rid of. Honestly, if you've found one, chances are there are more (I would bet a million dollars on it). If your neighbors have them and that's where you got them, you don't stand a chance if you heat treat your apt (or any treatment) and not theirs (BTW we got an estimate of 3K, much too expensive to do, but I would've if we were wealthy) . Seriously consider moving, throwing out 50% of what you own (only keep what you absolutely need). If we could afford a storage unit for 18 months, we would do it, and definitely have your place professionally treated. Its hard to know what to do, but we found there are no extreme tactics, responses for such and extreme little bug. Its ridiculous! Our belonging will sit outside for months as far as I'm concerned, I can't take the risk! We are 3 weeks post last treatment (4 once weekly treatments where we had to leave for 4 hours and still the poison was not completely dry/poison smelled really strong). The bites have dramatically decreased, I can say with 80% confidence that "we are not getting bitten". Sometimes I can't tell what a little bump is. Bug bite, spider bite, mite?, pimple, skin inperfection? My (now) 16mo. old daughter woke up today with two tincy bites near each other on her face. I'm gonna assume its a nymph. And take action accordingly: vacuum whole room thoroughly, take apart her new crib and spray w/alcohol in the cracks, washed and dry all bedding, and re-isolate her bed (maybe the tin cans that the her posts are sitting in need oil or something in the bottom. I read that BB's couldn't climb up metal or glass well). This problem is a lot of work. Settle in and ride it out I guess. God Luck....

3. CookEmDanno

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 27 2009 18:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Crazy,

While you're hoping for the best, you can at least vacuum your mattress and box spring and encase them. Wash and dry your bedding on the hottest settings. Tell the super right away so a couple of units can be treated at the same time. Make a plan so your husband can "go on vacation" if there's going to be any spraying. The more you do, the better you'll feel about being in control. I can also recommend the California Pinot Noir.

4. Deathlyallergic

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 31 2009 0:04:20
    #

Login to Send PM

These things showed up 4 weeks ago, and its been hell ever since. I found out Im deathly allergic and it has done some altering to my health, not to mention all the chemicals to treat. Ive encased the mattress and box springs, and I go to bed with long sleeves, leggings, high socks to cover the leggings, and gloves, then put skin so soft on my face, that seems to keep them away, cause the bite open skin.
    I bought the climpups from usbedbugs.com and waiting for their arrival to try to find out where they are coming from. I have vaselined the bed legs to keep them from climbing up. Isolated my bed in the middle of the room, bagging and washing everything is a night mare.
    This whole thing has been mortifying.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,015 posts in 28,275 topics over 87 months by 12,189 of 19,342 members. Latest: bugAnxiety, redbird, sera143
Site Meter