Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Can you 'pop' bed bug bites

(9 posts)
  1. alex19821982

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2011 4:56:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone
    I caught bed bugs when in Jordan last year (thankfully they seemed to not come back with me to London) but was in China and Cambodia recently and developed quite a few spots on my back, and now I am of course paranoid.
    I see no signs on bedsheets, the bites dont itch (the ones in Jordan did a lot) except that I poke them quite a lot because of the paranoia (but if I dont think about them, I dont). They have usually white centres and sorry for being disgusting, but I can 'pop' them like you would do with spots - I am not sure it's pus rather than keratin (I used to get little spots on my arms like this). They stay a while, and some turn red.
    However, they do appear a bit in clusters - never a straight line, but either in 2s or as a cluster of 4-5 e.g. on the shoulder.
    I wonder whether it's some sort of heat rash / sweat-induced spots but as I am paranoid, I keep poking them and it's making whatever this thing is worse...
    So I am hoping that the fact I can 'pop' them means they are definitely not bed bug bites?

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2011 12:17:36
    #

Login to Send PM

It's important to remember that insect bites of any sort are basically an allergic reaction.

The problem with allergic reactions is that they vary so widely from person to person. In fact, a person's allergic reactions can change over time.

So it's almost impossible to tell anything meaningful from most skin issues.

I can tell you that I have skin very prone to all kinds of issues, but none of my bed bug bites were ever poppable. And despite having had an active infestation for several months, I never had bites in the allegedly classic three in a row pattern.

If you travel regularly--whether you're traveling to other less developed countries or just to 5 star hotels in industrialized Western nations, it's a good idea to understand how bed bugs work and make your home as beg bud unfriendly as possible, including instituting a regular inspection program. Bed bugs are a pest of exposure, and with bed bugs making a resurgence in countries around the world, you can be exposed without leaving your home country. One of the regular contributors to this board is a pest control professional from the UK. He seems to be kept quite busy treating infestations in England, often from people who have not picked up their infestations abroad.

Passive monitors are also an option to consider to help make inspection easier and faster in case you bring hitch hikers home.

And a visit to your doc might help you rule out any existing skin problems that might easily be confused for insect bites.

I'm not a medical professional, so I can't begin to diagnose the cause over the internet, but it could be something like a sebaceous cyst or an ingrown hair, but your local general practitioner might be able to shed some light on the specifics.

3. Rosae

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Sep 6 2011 17:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!

Pimples, the real ones, contain sebum and pus, usually.

4. alex19821982

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Sep 7 2011 23:01:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks - I have a passive monitor at home and nothing there so far (I've had it for a year but I dont presume it has an expiry date) - I'm just getting obsessively paranoid checking my bedsheets for any signs and my back from these spots, poking them etc - if anyone has had bedbug bites that do 'pop', let me know....
    A

5. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 10 2011 16:11:44
    #

Login to Send PM

All of my bites popped. The only difference between my bites and pimples was that the bites actually would heal faster than a normal pimple (that is if you leave them alone). My bites were small and always started out as a small red bump that would then fester into a small white head. They would pop very easy, just barely scratch it and it would pop. Then you could clearly see a very tiny hole. They never itched. I know they were bed bug bites since I was able to see how I reacted right after one bit me (just before I killed it). I never got the 3 in a straight line either. My son was always broke out with acne on his face and neck (we THOUGHT it was acne, with white heads that popped). After our heat treatment he had a miraculous recovery instantly. He always sleeps with only his head and neck exposed. Now I'm pretty sure his acne was bed bug bites too and not acne.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 9:39:48
    #

Login to Send PM

futureBBmom,
    You had a heat treatment but were actual bed bugs found living in your home? Was the treatment initiated solely based on your skin lesions? Were dead bed bugs located after treatment?

Professional consulting entomologist/arachnologist in all matters dealing with insects and arachnids.
  7. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 21:37:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi loubugs, Yes before treatment I had caught a few nymphs. The extension office verified that they were bed bugs.

8. blargg

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Sep 11 2011 22:37:30
    #

Login to Send PM

futureBBmom - 1 day ago  » 
    All of my bites popped. The only difference between my bites and pimples was that the bites actually would heal faster than a normal pimple (that is if you leave them alone). My bites were small and always started out as a small red bump that would then fester into a small white head. They would pop very easy, just barely scratch it and it would pop. Then you could clearly see a very tiny hole. They never itched. I know they were bed bug bites since I was able to see how I reacted right after one bit me (just before I killed it). I never got the 3 in a straight line either. My son was always broke out with acne on his face and neck (we THOUGHT it was acne, with white heads that popped). After our heat treatment he had a miraculous recovery instantly. He always sleeps with only his head and neck exposed. Now I'm pretty sure his acne was bed bug bites too and not acne.

I was under the impression that pus is caused by bacteria accumulated as a result of oily skin...
    Sorry to sound gross here: did your bites burst with pus or just blood?

9. futureBBmom

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Sep 12 2011 0:11:21
    #

Login to Send PM

blargg, are you trying to tell me in a nice way that I'm full of oily bacteria ridden skin?

The bites would pop a very small amount of white stuff. I really have no idea why.

I just know that with my very first encounter with a bed bug I caught it biting me (it was already full of blood). It was verified to be an adult bed bug. So I had an advantage because I knew where it bit me and what bit me. So I was able to watch that spot and see what developed. That's how I know 100% that is how I personally react to bed bug bites. My bites appear like a pimple, but act like a boil.

For anyone who is interested, here is how I reacted.......

I was expecting to see a huge welt and have it itch like mad. But that isn't what happened at all. Had I not actually seen this bug biting me I never would have suspected that this was a bed bug bite. At the time I didn't chart the exact time line so I'm only guessing here best I can.

Within an hour of biting me a very small welt had showed up. This welt only stayed for a few hours. Then nothing, you couldn't tell anything had been there. About 24 hours after the bite a small red raised pimple like bump was there. Looked just like a small red pimple without the white head yet. Then maybe 6 hours or so later when I checked it, a white head had showed up in the center of the red bump. The bump was slightly sore to touch. I ran my fingernail over it and it popped a small amount of white stuff. You could see a distinct hole after it popped, like a very tiny crater right smack in the center. Reminded me of when a boil has popped and it leaves a deeper hole. The next day the raised bump was gone, a small scab had formed and it wasn't sore anymore. Within 4 days of the bite all evidence was pretty much gone. And it never did itch. Even though these bumps were so similar to pimples, they were still distinct in the way that they left that hole when popped. That first bite is identical to the bumps I was getting about every 8 to 10 days before our treatment.

My son's acne was starting to get really bad towards the end just before heat treatment. But unlike me, his acne did itch. When I'd see him scratching quite often I began to suspect that his acne may be bites and not pimples. But was his acne bed bugs? That I cannot say for sure since he didn't catch one biting him like I did. But it seems odd that it suddenly cleared up after being so bad. So I can't rule it out.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

184,145 posts in 28,296 topics over 87 months by 12,192 of 19,346 members. Latest: falc, falc2, jazzychazzy
Site Meter